WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Whitetail? Moose!

I did a quick three-day this week to get in a few days of bowhunting in the Adirondacks. I had scouted with trail cameras this summer and found what seemed to be a promising location.

I went into the area and picked a spot to camp at about 1950' elevation (dry camp; had to carry in all my water. There was a stream about a half-mile away but it was bone dry. Ugh!). I packed in my climbing tree stand a few days previous.

Night-time temps were mild (from mid 40's to mid 50's), so I brought my UGQ Zeppelin 40* UQ and JRB Sierra Sniveler TQ. My Superfly was pitched high and airy above my WBBB XLC.

On the first afternoon and evening, things were slow in the area. An old doe finally showed up, somehow got wind of me, and spent the next half hour stomping around blowing.

The following morning, as it started getting light, I heard what sounded like it would be a really big deer walking toward me on a dark hemlock-covered ridge close to my stand. It was making a LOT of racket and I thought to myself, "It must be huge... it sounds like a horse!"

I finally got a very brief glimpse of it in the still-dark hemlocks and it looked gigantic! I was sure it was by far the biggest deer I've ever seen. It paused and made a deep grunt/snort, and I was sure it was a buck. I was really hoping it was the 10-point buck I recorded on the trail camera in that area. I eventually got a brief look at a pair of ears, but saw no antlers! What the heck?! I was bummed. When it finally stepped out of the shadows and into the patch of beeches I was in, I was surprised to find that it was a full-grown cow moose. No wonder it sounded and looked so huge. It WAS huge.

It was the first time I've ever seen a moose while deer hunting in my area. I've had a few of them show up on my trail cameras and have seen a lot of tracks and droppings, so it was neat to finally have one walk by, just 20 yards from my tree stand. They are really doing well here. I used to have to drive to northern Quebec to go moose hunting. Now, there's a season in neighboring VT, which has a healthy and growing population. I don't think it will be too many years before NY opens a season as well.

Anyway, the hunt was over too soon and I didn't even see a buck, let alone get a chance to loose an arrow at one. But the moose made it a memorable hunt, as they almost all are in some way or another. I have the rest of this week and all of next week off, so I'll get more chances to get out in the stand as well as have time for a canoe camping trip; maybe to the Bog River/Hitchins Pond/Lows Lake area where I can get in some fishing.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Good camp set up.. did you try to fling arrows from hammock?. ;-) Trails cameras sure are nice, to see what goes bump in the night.
    keep at it, you will connect soon.. I spent my Hunt hiding from the rain & high winds & Pine cones zipping down at me at times.

its the great fresh outdoors.. its the best part.
    " Taking the gun off safety increases the velocity by 100% "

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    O.E.M. WBBB Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    No wonder it sounded and looked so huge. It WAS huge... just 20 yards from my tree stand.
    I stumbled upon a young male on Isle Royale, just hiking along one day. I was only about 20-30 feet away... it's enough to really rustle your jimmys, because they are massive! He was cool, and calm enough to let me get some great photos.

Moose are awesome.
    Last edited by Boudah; 10-02-2013 at 19:47.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I love seeing moose, this year I saw a cow with two calves on the side of the road but couldn't stop for pictures because of cars behind me.

If you're looking for deer, c'mon up here, we've got more than you can imagine. Most of them aren't even scared of people anymore and come right into our yards. Lots of bears too, if you're into them.
    Debi

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I was sighting in my Excalibur Exomax yesterday,,and cleaning gear up and spraying down all hungint clothing with permethin and last thing I did last nite before it getting totally dark was cleaning the scope lenses off, and scope covers,,and walked outside the front door to look thru scope and see if it was totally clean, threw the crossbow up to my shoulders after stepping out the door standing on my front porch,,looked thru the scope,,and standing in front of me, was 2 large does at 40 yds broadside in the wide open,,crossbow not cocked,,no arrow,,and freaked out they were the very first thing I saw thru the scope in my yard. Yesterday was the first day of bow season in Indiana too. Happy hunting everybody!

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    nice set up....
    and cool story!

yeah....they scare the _____ out of a person!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    I was hiking with on a date once and we came a cross a cow moose in the willows. When I pointed it out to her she commented that it was the ugliest horse she has ever seen. I had a hard time convincing her it was a moose since all we could see of it was its back and head.

Sorry you didn't get your deer. I didn't get my dear on that trip either.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

• + New Posts