WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This is good info.
    I've always been curious about hammocks on the PCT.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

Desert? Depends on your definition(s)...

Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, enyapjr. I'm looking at the PCT for 2014, and have been having the same questions. Happy to read this thread and check out these references.

Have you figured out what you're going to do for the desert section?

I can't imagine going back to ground-dwelling, but am wary given how uncommon hammocks seem out there.
    Hi Joan!

You're welcome regarding my starting the thread, but it was mostly self-serving because I really wanted to know if any other HF members were seriously considering a PCT thru-hike next year, and more specifically if using a hammock! Well, now I know there's at least one contemplating it - you! Hope you can 'swing' it for hiking the PCT next year!!

About the "desert" - there really isn't that much true 'desert' on the PCT in SoCal. Numerous semi-arid stretches, yes; areas of nothing but brush/chaparral, yes; treeless stretches, yes, but also many areas with sufficient trees (or 'other' hang supports - I've used the bases of bushes and hung across gullies/depressions before) for us hangers - another yes! In all honesty, I'm more concerned about recent fire areas of the last two or three years on the PCT than the 'desert' portion - I still have to do more research regarding the wildfires!

I have not yet decided (and probably won't until I'm actually on the trail) whether I will let the hammock 'dictate' my daily mileages, and that would be mostly in some areas of SoCal - but that is why I will also carry 'some' backup to go to ground (a torso length cut-down Z-Lite pad which probably will be used primarily as a sit/lounge pad during the day and lower leg insulation in the hammock at night since I'm only taking a 3/4 UQ)...

I would 'like' to hang 100% of the time on the PCT, but will have to "wait and see" what the trail provides me. One definite goal for the trek, since I'm usually quite negligent in taking photos of my campsites/hangs, is to take a photo of each night's sleeping site - that could make for a few 'interesting' pics and encourage hangers to "think outside the box" that a hang always requires two trees!

Gotta get back to setting up my journal... Once the journal is ready to go I will post its link to HF, but don't expect any literary masterpiece! I'm not going to be a slave to the journal on a daily basis and will most likely expand on the daily entries after the trek...

Take care, all. Happy hanging!!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    After skimming over the trail journals and HF threads you've assembled, I'm more inclined than ever to try bringing the hammock the whole way!

Very interested to read your description of the So. Cal. sections. Are you assembling an annotated map or list with potential campsites for the burn areas and treeless stretches? If so, would you mind comparing notes with me? Any relevant journals from section hikers that have used hammocks?

What hammock and tarp are you planning on using?

Look forward to seeing the link to your journal- I'm sure that will be a great resource for future PCT hikers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    Very interested to read your description of the So. Cal. sections.
    Are you assembling an annotated map or list with potential campsites for the burn areas and treeless stretches? If so, would you mind comparing notes with me?
    Any relevant journals from section hikers that have used hammocks?
    Answers in reverse order -
    I don't know of any relevant journals with hammocking info for SoCal, but I haven't done any exhaustive searches, either (started searching a few times, but soon get tired of so many journals not having a gear list and then having to read some entries to figure out if they are hanger or ground dweller - all groundlings so far!)...
    Roni from Israel's 2003 PCT journal 'mentions' his hammock, but he doesn't go into much detail. Roni's pct-l reply post to a hammock query explains more and is quite helpful in a general context.

As for an "annotated map or list": neither, but many 'places' are stored 'in my head' and I will be making some 'waypoints' in Google Earth (GE) which I will probably write 'some' of them down & store in my smartphone...
    I use GE to 'scout' along the trail, but the downside is that in some areas the aerial photographs are 2 or 3 years old - thus having to do more research, specifically regarding the more recent wildfires...
    If you don't have GE on your computer, I suggest downloading & installing it; then download Halfmile's GE PCT trace & waypoints - then one can 'walk' along the PCT and 'see' the trail & its surroundings...
    I have my own GE waypoint files regarding water sources (and will probably be adding some possible 'hang' waypoints, too - at least in the 'sparse' areas), but I have not edited them for a couple of years (that's also on my "to do" list for this winter!)... If or once you have GE, I could send you my updated GE files via email - I'll PM you later today...

What hammock and tarp are you planning on using?
    Even though there are much lighter weight hammocks available, I'm staying with my WBBB - I'm very comfortable both 'with' it (using/set up/take down) and especially when sleeping IN it! (that, plus it saves $$ for 'other' things before & while on the trail! ) I love my BB and all of its features , especially the 'storage shelf' (and foot-box, too)... It's a double 1.0 from the short time Brandon offered them and I converted the suspension from straps to whoopies to lighten its weight even more...
    Tarp is HG 4S Cuben... I love it, too!! - though I wish the 'camo' option was offered back when I bought it - oh well, eventually, maybe......

Look forward to seeing the link to your journal- I'm sure that will be a great resource for future PCT hikers.
    Well, I'm not too sure about that! I certainly won't be doing a 'guide book' of any kind, but rather just making a few notes (especially/mostly in SoCal) to let other hangers know what to expect regarding hanging opportunities - along with my goal of taking a photo of each night's "campsite" (hopefully hanging 'somehow'!!)... I do hope that it could and will be a helpful resource for other hangers considering hiking the PCT - at least for SoCal where too many think it's difficult or impossible - until (if) something better comes along.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Let me know when you're planning on being in the Burney Falls area of the PCT (Mile 1423.5 in Halfmile's notes), and I'll see about coming out for a night if you'd like.
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

NorCal!!

Quote Originally Posted by chapmage View Post
    Let me know when you're planning on being in the Burney Falls area of the PCT (Mile 1423.5 in Halfmile's notes), and I'll see about coming out for a night if you'd like.
    Ah, northern CA, my 'home turf' - I grew up in Redding & Yreka!
    Stomped all around NorCal - including Burney Falls (& my sister lived in Burney for a few years) and Old Station, Lassen, McCloud, Mt. Shasta (climbed it 3 times many years ago), the Trinitys/Salmon (Russian)/Marble mountains... I spent 6 weeks out there this summer - 3 of which was trail work on the PCT (below Grizzly Peak, Scott Summit, and some logging out S of Lassen and one BIG (58" diam.) tree nobo of Burney Falls on the PCT...

Drop me a PM with some contact info - maybe we can meet up for a hang (don't know about 'hiking' much, however - I should easily be doing 25 to 30 miles per day by then if you think you could keep up, but maybe meet late in the day/hike&hang/then you could hike out next morning??)...

Talk to you soon. Take care!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyapjr View Post
    If you don't have GE on your computer, I suggest downloading & installing it; then download Halfmile's GE PCT trace & waypoints - then one can 'walk' along the PCT and 'see' the trail & its surroundings...
    Got back from a long weekend backpacking (and testing out my new smartphone as a matter of fact), and am delighted to learn about using GE to scout the trail. Just installed it (now that I can load it on my phone too-yay!) and started wandering up the trail- WOW! Really helps give an idea of the plant communities and I can imagine possible hang sites but really wish I could ground truth them. Will certainly be spending lots of time looking through Halfmile’s trace. If you do update your own GE waypoint files, I’d be thrilled to get them!

Even though there are much lighter weight hammocks available, I'm staying with my WBBB
    I laughed when I saw that we have a very similar setup! I love my BB too. Also am considering taking my Darien UL cause it’s lighter, but it doesn’t fit me as well- spent all spring and summer trying to get used to it, but this weekend switched back to the BB and realized how much better the BB works for me. But I don’t know how those priorities will shift on a long trip.

Yes, the HG Cuben is awesome. Am debating though about whether to bring another tarp because I love the camo cuben one so much and would be sad if it gets too beat up to use after the PCT. Just hope they keep making them in that print...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS
    Got back from a long weekend backpacking (and testing out my new smartphone as a matter of fact)
    I 'finally' went to a smartphone (iPhone) this Spring, primarily as a 'tool' for my upcoming PCT thru next year - didn't really 'need' one before that... It definitely is & will be a great 'tool' on my hike, however!

...and am delighted to learn about using GE to scout the trail. Just installed it (now that I can load it on my phone too-yay!) and started wandering up the trail- WOW! Really helps give an idea of the plant communities and I can imagine possible hang sites but really wish I could ground truth them. Will certainly be spending lots of time looking through Halfmile’s trace.
    Note that when on the trail, Google Earth (and Google Maps or similar) will lose all the 'detail' after your phone has been shut off UNLESS you have wifi or cellular data available to reload said detail (you will most likely shut off your phone while on the trail to conserve battery power; if the phone is only 'sleeping', it will -or 'should' - retain said detail)... That's why I also got another GPS/mapping app - "Gaia GPS", with which you can download Halfmile's PCT tracks and then also download various 'maps' (USGS, aerial photos, Forest Service, etc.) along your (PCT) 'tracks' which will stay in cache and be visible when off the grid - no need for wifi or cellular data once downloaded, only temporarily enabling the GPS to get a location fix if needed... I also bought (and recommend) Guthook's Guides (5 apps cover entire PCT) - also check out the free app "eTrails" (only covers Sections A through E in SoCal)... Everybody out there please do not 'worry' - I will also be carrying printed Halfmile maps (the smartphone will be my GPS, if/when needed, and only a 'back-up' to the printed maps, not my 'only' navigation resource!! )

Regarding looking for possible hang sites on Google Earth - many large SoCal shrubs can look very much like trees in aerial photos - a 'secret' to quickly tell the difference (hopefully, but sometimes dependent upon what time of day the aerial was taken) is to look for the much longer shadows cast by trees whereas shrubs have little or no shadow cast... Yes, "ground truthing" would be best, but I guess we'll find out for sure next year, won't we?

If you do update your own GE waypoint files, I’d be thrilled to get them!
    Will do - we are now in touch off-list, but I'm replying here on HF to have my thoughts, ideas, & comments as a potential/possible resource for others seeking any PCT hanging info...

I laughed when I saw that we have a very similar setup! I love my BB too. Also am considering taking my Darien UL cause it’s lighter, but it doesn’t fit me as well- spent all spring and summer trying to get used to it, but this weekend switched back to the BB and realized how much better the BB works for me. But I don’t know how those priorities will shift on a long trip.
    My BB is a dbl 1.0, so it's already quite a bit lighter than your dbl 1.7, but heavier than many other available hammocks out there... If I felt I could both afford 'testing out' other lighter hammocks and truly needed a lighter hammock, I would have done so - but I'm totally satisfied with my BB's comfort and current weight (have lightened my load in most all other gear, plus at my age a good night's sleep & the 'recuperation' is extremely important for the day after day after day of long trail miles!)...
    If I already had another much lighter hammock, I would seriously consider it - even though your BB is more comfortable than your Darien UL, isn't the Darien far more comfortable than the ground? That's your judgement call to make and 'weigh' (pun intended!) the pros vs. cons of each hammock and decide your 'initial' choice - you can always have the other one 'waiting in the wings' to be sent to you & swap out while on the trail...
    Seriously look at lightening your load elsewhere, too - for example, many people take far too many clothes at the start of a thru-hike; you're an experienced hiker and are probably well aware of the 'layering' principle - a key point is to have 'light' individual layers and no duplicate items (except for socks!! - but you do not need two long-sleeved shirts, or two short-sleeved shirts, or two pairs of long pants, etc., etc.)...

My current total sleep & shelter system (that's all items, including the 'go to ground' if needed items) is slightly under 5.5 pounds - which will be less than many of the ground dwellers on the PCT, just not lighter than the ULers set-ups - so it is 'good enough' for me! Current base weight is slightly over 15 pounds - it has grown slightly mostly because I'm a gadget geek, but I have all winter to think some things over...

Yes, the HG Cuben is awesome. Am debating though about whether to bring another tarp because I love the camo cuben one so much and would be sad if it gets too beat up to use after the PCT. Just hope they keep making them in that print...
    I bought my Cuben tarp primarily for its very light weight in anticipation of future thru-hikes...
    It has the same 'hex' footprint as my older Spinn (the previous light-weight material champion) tarp, but at 2/3 the weight - plus it has DOORS, too!! It has held up very well so far - no holes yet (I probably just jinxed myself with that statement), but Cuben is easily repairable in the field... I love my tarp! - much more protection when needed and at a significant weight reduction - can't beat that!! I'd definitely use the Cuben - but also note I'm from the "why not use it if you have it" camp!

Later! Gotta go... Take care all.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    I 'finally' went to a smartphone (iPhone) this Spring, primarily as a 'tool' for my upcoming PCT thru next year -
    I bought the new iphone specifically for the the PCT as well. Had been wondering about how to get the most out of the phone w/out signal, so this is excellent information. Sounds like I really can leave behind my GPS unit (but of course not Halfmile’s maps).

If I already had another much lighter hammock, I would seriously consider it - even though your BB is more comfortable than your Darien UL, isn't the Darien far more comfortable than the ground?
    I’m going to keep working with the Darien- sure does save weight, and you’re right it’s not like it isn’t comfortable and provide excellent sleep. But I haven’t figured out how to get the UQ to fit the Darien as well- but do have 6 months to fiddle and ask around.

Seriously look at lightening your load elsewhere, too.
    Yes, I’ve got ways to go light elsewhere, and Yogi’s PCT Handbook has been helpful for describing various clothing systems for the PCT. Wow, 15 pounds is great! That's around what my current 30-degree setup is at, but that's for the southeast conditions and without some new gear- really got to update my gear list spreadsheets, but hope to be around that.

It has held up very well so far - no holes yet (I probably just jinxed myself with that statement), but Cuben is easily repairable in the field...
    Good to know the HG Cuben tarp has held up well- I’ve only used it for the past 5 months on perhaps a little over a dozen trips- performs flawlessly in severe thunderstorms and the few times I’ve intentionally set in heavy winds (just to test…) so it’ll be great if it lasts. <Funny my old tarp is a OES Spinn too.>

Thanks again for the info!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I suspect you will find many situations where you are glad you have a hammock, unless you are driven more by hanging with your group or not.

A hammock does give you more options as to where you camp, and that often means camping away from the crowd.

This can be good or bad depending on where your head is at.

Many ground campers avoid dense wooded areas, but since you have a hammock, you will be driven to want to camp in these areas.

If you are afraid of being separated from your trail friends, and most are, then maybe the hammock isn't the way to go and instead be limited the same as the rest of the group.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast