DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder

My First Hammock Experience

First a big thank you to all Forum members for the knowledge and insights. As important for the used gear I bought to get going! When my brother in law asked if I would join him for a buck hunt in the Central Oregon Cascades I was all in. We located a great site outside of Bend up below the South Sisters area. I had been hoping to get all my gear out for a quick set up. Unfortunately, that did not get done. We arrived Friday evening for our mile hike into camp with rain and wind. We had to change our camp area when we realized that camping was not allowed in the Watershed area. As we searched for a site the first thing out of my brother in laws mouth (who was tent camping) was "lucky you only need to find 2 trees". I immediately found 2 trees. Of course my brain had a hard time actually figuring out a 15-20 ft span. Need to know my step lengths. As it was still raining, I set out my HG cuben fiber tarp first that I had set up with an adjustable ridgeline with dutch hook and stingerz per Ultimate Hang. Worked well for my first time and proceeded to tie out the sides. Once up I got underneath and pulled out the crown jewel...WBBB with whoopee slings. Still raining and wanting to remember to get my 30 degree and even under the hammock and of course don't forget the V. The V. Aghh how do these whoopee slings actually adjust? I'm a doctor and can't figure out a simple adjustment. Still raining and now getting dark. Finally get hammock up and then get in to assess. Seems ok. Set up my underquilt. Suspension, adjustments. Really should have practiced first. Still raining. But dry under the tarp. Added on the Bear Burrito Oven that came with the hammock. Nice! Trying to tie out the WBBB sides but doesn't quit seem to be held out right since my tarp may have been too low. Brother in law came over to get under my tarp to stay dry. Decided to sit in the hammock and heat up water. I got to sit in the hammock while he had to kneel in the wet ground. I felt a little bad. Still raining. (hey this is Central Oregon and it rarely rains for more than an hour or two.) Time to sleep. spent a long time trying to find the "sweet spot" In and out of the hammock to adjust the hang. Aghh still can't get the whoopee to work intuitively. Finally found the sweet spot and off to sleep. Still raining and boy does that cuben fiber tarp make some noise. But I like white noise so all good. What I don't like is the HG Phoenix slipping off my left shoulder all night. Should have worked on the set up prior to leaving. (have I mentioned that yet?) Morning arrived after raining all night and still raining. But I am dry and my tarp stayed tight all night. Opened up the side of my WBBB and turned on my Flash Burner to heat water for my oatmeal and coffee in bed. Nice! Got out of the hammock but first put my shoes on while sitting in the WBBB. Nice! Hiked out for the hunt and thought in my mind...you better check those tie outs because if they come untied or pull out with the continuing wind and rain your down top and under quilt and hammock will get wet. Didn't listen and of course when we returned 6 hours later the tarp was flapping in the wind and rain with all wet gear. Fortunately we where done and packed up our gear to head out in the continuing rain. Still can't get the whoopee right. When arrived home I immediately set up some hooks in my garage to hang and dry out the equipment. I spent Sunday morning "setting up" my hammock, figuring out the whoopee, adjusting the underquilt and figuring out the best hang position for me.
    Summary...can't wait to do it all again!

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    I wanted to especially thank Shug for his awesome videos and Derrick Hansen for his Blog and website.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Great to hear!

If you're looking for a better way to estimate distance between trees, stand at the midpoint between 'em, take your trekking poles, and hold them out at arms' length on either side your body. The distance between the pole tips and the trees should be between two and three feet for an optimal hang angle.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Great trick. Thank you.

Glad to hear you like it!! I'm new to hammocking myself!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theclark5 View Post
    Great trick. Thank you.
    Learned it (at one remove) from Detail Man. Credit really goes to him. And you're welcome; 's what these forums are for.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies

My First Hammock Experience

Approaching my first hang as well, nothing else to do but sit here and watch shug vids!

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Nothing beats experience! My problem is that I will probably tweak things, then want to tweak more. I already purchased some Dutchware and other goodies.

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    Shug videos are always entertaining.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Just a reminder, as I have heard it said, "Pics or it didn't happen."

Great trip report. Keep up the good work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast