Hammock
    Dutch 11’ w knotty mods; DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0; JRB MT Wash
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 UCRs
    Got my Housefly online in 5 days for $95. LOVE IT! With my 11'x52" home made hammock on a 100" Ridgeline, I have about 6" of coverage on each end. The doors come with buckles and all ends come with line locks and ?8'? Or so of 2mm zing it style cord. Also corners have nice triangle holes that I hang my water bags from when it rains using a small stick and wake to refilled water. Need to put tie outs on it for it to be perfect, but it isn't heavy and rolls up to 3"X 8-9" and comes with a stuff sack for under $100

Ok maybe it's because I was using a Tarp before I bought the ENO, Housefly Rain Tarp, but I think its great. it's light, holds up well in wind, and I love the flaps at the end help's hold in a lot more heat. I do wish it was 10.5X12 but other then that. the stitching is good, it does not leak, I looked at the Hennessy Typhoon on line it is a few dollars cheaper but it's also a little smaller, so I hear every one talking down about ENO Housefly but no one is giving any bad experiences sounds like brand snobbery to me.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutFaith View Post
    ... I hear every one talking down about ENO Housefly but no one is giving any bad experiences sounds like brand snobbery to me.
    There is some truth to that. The members on this forum really love their cottage vendors and prefer to support them whenever possible. There are several reasons for that:
    1) All of the ENO stuff is made overseas
    2) The products are all mass-produced
    3) It's (relatively) heavy
    4) It's (relatively) expensive considering 1-3 above.

The cottage vendors, however:
    1) All products are made in the USA
    2) All products are produced on a small-scale or are custom made.
    3) Far more options with regard to materials (affects weight)
    4) Usually cheaper/same price

Additionally, the customer service of the cottage vendors is top-notch as they know it's a small community and every sale matters.

I originally got into hammock camping by accident and started off with a 100% ENO setup - it's the only thing I knew existed. After a while I started to replace pieces of gear with products from our vendors and was really able to see the difference. Just recently I added a WB SuperFly to my stash. While I was adding all of the dutch-bling to it I finally got to put it side-by-side with both my ENO ProFly and my HH Hex - WOW, what a difference! The feel of the materials, the quality of the stitching, and the finishing touches really stood out to me.

Weight:
    * HouseFly 27oz
    * SuperFly 18oz

Size:
    * HouseFly 10.5'x10'
    * SuperFly 11'x10'

10' 6" is definitely on the short end for covering a hammock - probably not a big deal if you're using an ENO hammock as they're also about 1.5' shorter than the cottage vendor hammocks (11' vs 9.3').

The best part? The price difference between the WB SuperFly ($140) and the ENO HouseFly ($139) is only $1. Makes this a no-brainer for me.

ENO does have a couple of things going for it - they're everywhere and they market pretty well! Hell, I bought a bunch of their stuff!

In the end, other people's opinions mean absolutely nothing. If you're happy with your HouseFly (you did get a good price on it) then HYOH!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow or DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber Palace
    Insulation
    EE, LL, + UGQ down
    Suspension
    Kevlar w/ BH
    Images
    I agree with you mcbpdx. I also started with a 100% ENO setup. Now I added Dutch Amstel, some Dutch hardware, upgraded the fly to cuben, added a Warbonnet bug net and enlightened equipment quilts. And, I'm really eyeing either a XLC, Sparrow, or Chameleon to once and for all replace my ENO hammock. For me it's not really snobbery, I just like the options and product better. I want to try an asymmetrical and longer lay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    You couldn't be more right! I own both tarps and switch back k and forth. The only thing I consider to be a real difference is the Housefly doesn't have the Superfly pull outs. It's a good tarp, does it's job and left me money for other things.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I got the ENO Housefly at an REI garage sale for $50. Love it!

If I had to choose, I'd probably support a cottage vendor over an ENO product if everything else was equal.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6 hex
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    down warbonnet, HG
    Suspension
    DIY straps and Who
    Images
    $19 Housefly at REI garage sale in Perfect condition, the tie outs hadn't even been untied yet!

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have both the house fly and the superfly and use the house fly a lot! Works just as well with my WBBB XLC and my other 11' tarps and I have no complaints.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynecobb View Post
    $19 Housefly at REI garage sale in Perfect condition, the tie outs hadn't even been untied yet!
    For $19, you can’t complain. I’d complain about the weight, but $19!!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide Netless
    Tarp
    DF Palace Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    It's smaller, heavier, and more expensive than a Superfly. And they're clearly trying to pull some interest by naming it similar. Why would I buy it?
    It is a very capable tarp. Ive put it through its paces and never baby'd it. Owned it for years and through many HARD rain storms. The pros of this over the superfly is that everything is taken care for you already. No extra hardware needed. No seam sealing. Actually has tie downs for the doors. Very convenient adjusting right out of the box. For a beginner who doesnt know how, or doesnt want to put extra work into something to make it work, this has earned its place in the market.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast