DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Good Friends, Bad Sandspurs, Warm Days, and Cool Nights: 2nd Summer's Last Gasp Hang

Had a wonderful time out at Hidden Pond this last weekend with everyone.

Skunk Ape, it was great to finally meet you and wonderful of you to put up with my inane nattering for over thirty miles this trip. lilricky, you were great to argue the nature of chaps with. Duffy and MightyMouse, well, what can I say about such a great couple of folks other than "wonderful!"? Life Scout, C+1, and littlelifescout, you hung in there like troopers and made everyone else's trip that much nicer by always having the right piece of gear for the job. arl and wife, I'm sorry that I didn't get more time to talk with you before you had to leave on Saturday. Grinder, you were as great a storyteller and honest a companion as always. Great White, you hung in there despite the heat and managed banter when you were about as wrung out as an human gets--you did great! Nukeofhazard, thank you for all of your effort around camp and on-trail; it was wonderful talking with you, too. O-Boy, it was great to see you once again, and I hope that your FHT hike next month goes as well as possible. BearBurrito, it was wonderful to meet you and spend time jawing around the campfire into the evening on Friday; I'm glad you finally made it to one of these. Thank you, Riddled, for making the drive down from GA with your son when you were already sick; it wouldn't've been the same if you hadn't come. Floridahanger, you did a wonderful job with stoking the fire once again, and I think we may finally have enough deadfall out there to keep you supplied for the next few trips!

Thank you, everyone, for coming out and making the weekend that much nicer. I'll have a more detailed trip report to add, including pics and video, some time later today, errands withstanding.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

FLRider, thanks for organizing everything. Thanks also to NukeofHazzard for the help in setting up and getting organized. I was glad to meet those I could and hope to see more of everyone down the road. It was a pleasure for both the wife and myself to get with such a friendly bunch.

We had a good time overall. Starting out new with the hammocks had some issues but we plan on working them out. (We still need to get our pack weights down). Looking forward to a lot more enjoyment on the trail.
    ---
    Al Lipscomb AA4YU

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Both my son and I enjoyed ourselves, it was great meeting everyone. Thank you for having us and showing us the ropes
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arl View Post
    FLRider, thanks for organizing everything. Thanks also to NukeofHazzard for the help in setting up and getting organized. I was glad to meet those I could and hope to see more of everyone down the road. It was a pleasure for both the wife and myself to get with such a friendly bunch.

We had a good time overall. Starting out new with the hammocks had some issues but we plan on working them out. (We still need to get our pack weights down). Looking forward to a lot more enjoyment on the trail.
    "Organizing"? Hah! If anyone did any actual organizing on this one, it was Floridahanger; all I did was post the dates and ask if anyone else wanted to come. Still, you're welcome for the small part I had in it.

As far as pack weight, if you want help, feel free to PM me. I'll do what I can to help diagnose issues.

~~~~~~~

My story begins back when I started the original thread for this hang. I put out there that I wanted to do a long hike into the hang on Friday, and Skunk Ape immediately picked it up and ran with it. It's wonderful to have someone else who is willing to give a long hike a go, and he sure was a great hiking partner.

Friday, I dropped my wife off at her job in Newberry and headed southeast towards ONF. Four different times on the way in, I had some idiot in traffic try to kill me, but my reflexes were up to the job, thankfully. I arrived at the Pat's Island trail head at about 9:45 and picked Skunk Ape up for the ride down to the SR 19 trail head. We hit the trail at about 10:15 and headed northbound.

The first portion of the trail there runs through a mixed hardwood forest and is fairly pretty. We made good time, passing Dora Pond and Buck Lake within the first hour of hiking. We stopped in at Farles Lake about an hour later for a refill of our water containers and chatted with a pair of dirt bikers who were interested in my kilt and the FT's features. One of 'em had hiked through the area during hunting season and was concerned about the conditions associated with that.

We continued on through the mounting heat of the day, moving through what is (arguably) the prettiest area of the trip: Farles Prairie. The vistas through that area are awfully pretty when the sun isn't pounding your head into sunburnt, dehydrated, and heat exhausted mush. We stopped for lunch at the north rim of the prairie, at about one in the afternoon. A peaceful moment of rest in a long day of constant movement was shared.

Soon enough, we were packed back up and headed northbound once more. I'd repacked my food bag to ensure that it wouldn't spill out of the tiny tear that I'd somehow managed to effect in it; I think it was the broken glass that I sat down on, honestly. No problems occurred with it as we headed (slightly) uphill into the sandhill pine ecosystem of the trail. Here, views closed in once more but shade was to be had as well. After a few miles, we headed downhill into a jungly portion of the trail and then back up into the sandhill pines again. The last time I came through this area (a year ago), there were multiple blowdowns that had yet to be cleared from the trail; it would seem that the trail maintenance crews were very active last winter (there were new blowdowns, instead...).

Soon enough, we reached SR 40. Skunk Ape had been taking point (and all of the spiderwebs) since we'd left Farles Prairie, and I mentioned that the mile of trail between the 40 crossing and Juniper Springs was probably my least favorite portion of trail through there. It's very jungly, and usually has about a thousand banana spiders to navigate. We decided to walk the road to the springs, which is a (slightly) shorter route. It was hot, but not completely overbearing, walking along the road. The only part I could've done without was the exhaust fumes; everything else was pretty okay.

We reached Juniper Springs in good time and stopped at the gatehouse for a water break. Originally, we'd intended to get water from the spigot behind the place, but the spigot's handle has been removed. Instead, the attendant let us get water from the fountain in the gatehouse proper. This was a much better idea; not only was the water cold and filtered, but there was actual air conditioning to stand in for a short period.

I tried a new afternoon snack of chocolate milk here, and managed to drop about half of it on the ground until I figured out the best way to transfer from my baggie to the bottle (cut off one of the bottom corners to make it into a funnel, by the way). It turned out to be the perfect afternoon snack; within fifteen minutes of drinking it, I felt my energy come back and was feeling like I could whip bears bare-handed.

We headed north across the prairie, which was extremely pretty and not nearly as hot as I'd feared. A beautiful breeze had sprung up, and the temperatures were all the way down below 80*! About halfway across its beautiful desolation, we came upon a log and Skunk Ape (who was still in the lead) froze. A moccasin was sitting next to the log, curled up into a ring, with its head sticking straight up. As we took photos from a safe distance and then backed away, it slithered off into the shadows. We were very cautious going across that log and hurried on our way.

Soon enough, we came upon the tiny spooky forest stand of pines (thank you, lilricky, for that description; it's perfect) that signified we were about a mile and a quarter from camp. Whiskey Creek followed soon after, and I mentioned to Skunk Ape that we were only a mile from Hidden Pond.

That last mile seemed to stretch forever as our pace declined down to about a mile and an half an hour. But, soon enough, we were headed down the last hill to the pond, and I let out a "WHOOOOOOOO BUDDY!" to let our camp mates know we'd made it. Of course, Grinder had to respond with, "Took you long enough!" It's good having friends...

Warm greetings were exchanged around the fire and I stumbled off to find a good pair of trees. Many of the best ones in the closest portion of the stand had been blown down over the summer; apparently, one of the thunderstorms in the area had been particularly fierce. Still, I was able to find a perfectly serviceable pair not ten yards from lilricky's set-up. The hammock and tarp went up easily, and I hung my bear bag before heading back to the fire to make dinner and socialize. It was 7:30 or 8:00 by this point, and dark, so I made my first by-headlamp dinner on my new DIY Fancee Feest stove. Easy enough, even with the wind being a bit fierce.

I stayed up for another hour or so, meeting new folks and chatting with old friends, before heading back to the hammock. The forecast was for the high-sixties, so I didn't bother with my undercover at all. I slept well, except for some shoulder squeeze during the evening; I'd hung my foot end a bit high and the hammock a bit tight. Still, I was comfortable enough to not want to get out and readjust everything. I am glad I took a couple of Benadryl before turning in--the chiggers had gotten me pretty bad during the day on the hike in.

I woke before the dawn on Saturday, only to hear the pitter-patter of drizzle dripping from damp non-deciduous dendrites onto my tarp. I decided to wait it out; I was in no rush. An hour went by, then two. By eight-thirty, I decided to get up and make breakfast in the rain. I was trying out my normal "coffee" recipe cold this time (to try and save time on trail), but it didn't work out too well in the mug I made out of the bottom of a Gatorade bottle. I think I need a flat-bottomed mug to be able to stir vigorously enough to get the stuff to dissolve properly...or a regular, sealable bottle like the Gatorade bottle I already bring (it worked well on Sunday morning).

I spent most of the morning waiting out the rain under the corner of Skunk Ape's tarp with Grinder and Skunk Ape, chatting with them, lilricky, and BearBurrito. Soon enough, it was getting on towards noon, and we had a decision to make on which spring we wanted to hike to. It was approximately the same distance in either direction--ten miles. Finally, as we were headed out of camp, I decided to hit Silver Glen Springs rather than Juniper; despite the fact that I'd been at Silver Glen more often than Juniper, the hike is nicer along the Yearling Trail than the FT south of Hidden Pond (or so I thought......).

We headed out and lost Grinder as he took a gander at the Hidden Pond Short cutoff. I ran out to see if he'd gone that way but somehow missed his tracks in the hardpack there. He caught up okay, though, and everyone continued on to the Yearling Trail intersection with the FT. It was warm hiking through that section, as the heat had spiked into the mid-eighties and the humidity approached 100%. So, the ice pops and frozen water bottles (both still cold!) that Life Scout had packed in inside of a Refletix cooler the day before were very welcome. Thank you!

After a short break there, everyone continued on to the Yearling Trail, stopping at the Long cemetery for a moment of remembrance. I paused at the trail intersection and ate an almond butter and honey tortilla while I waited (the hiker hunger had caught up to me by this point). We continued on down the trail soon enough, and ran across our biggest problem for the day: the sandspur plants had bloomed during the last month.

They'd not been a problem during my hike out of the No Underquilts Hang, but they certainly were this time. Unfortunately, little lifescout had worn Keen-style sandals without socks; he kept getting the things between his shoe and his foot. Heck, I was annoyed by the suckers, since they occasionally sought out the shoe-sock interface around my foot and got ground into my skin. It was slow, hot going, with an annoying sensation around everyone's feet as we made our way to Silver Glen Springs.

About eight-tenths of the way down the YT, Grinder decided he'd had enough of this crap and headed back towards camp. Everyone else continued on and reached the springs just soon enough--any further, and I might've turned back my own self.

We crossed SR 19 and headed into Silver Glen to spend a couple of hours eating and swimming. The springs were gorgeous, minus the black vultures that kept looming (and being chased by a kid with a squirt gun--good for him!), and we truly enjoyed the wonderfully clear, cold waters.

Soon enough, we were headed back out on the trail to Hidden Pond. We decided to take the old forest road back to FR 46 to avoid the worst of the sandspurs. An extra mile was added to the trip back, but the heat of the day had passed and we made good time on the way back. A couple of folks weren't feeling the pace, though, and I hung back once we reached the FT to ensure that they made it in okay.

Duffy, MightyMouse, Floridahanger, and O-Boy had made it to camp while we were out on our expedition for the day, and we greeted them warmly when we came in. BearBurrito, arl, and arl's wife had left already, and were missed around the fire that night. I had a late night on Saturday, turning in around ten-ish, after most folks had already hit their hammocks. That night, I put the undercover on the hammock for some extra warmth, as it seemed like it might get into the low sixties.

I woke with the dawn again, though without the rain this time. I rose and pulled down my bear bag to make breakfast for myself. Using my Gatorade bottle, I was able to make "coffee" easily enough (and it'll be drinkable on the move, too!), so I count the cold breakfast a success for long days on-trail. I spent most of Sunday morning chatting and checking out everyone's set-ups (I did a section on almost everyone's in the video to come) as the day wore on.

Around tnin-thirty, I started packing up and was ready for the trail at about tenses. Everyone hit the trail around elevenish, as we'd decided to hike out as a group (which is, honestly, only the second time that's happened to me at Hidden Pond; I'm normally out there longer than everyone else, due to my work schedule). Skunk Ape and I stopped for him to get water and find his Buff before hiking out; the sun was something fierce and both hydration and neck shade were definitely indicated. Soon enough, we were following everyone.

We caught up to everyone by the time we reached the YT intersection and spent a few minutes jawing there as everyone took a water and shade break to cool off some from the very hot climb up that last hill. Soon enough, we headed out with Grinder in the lead for the last half-mile.

We reached Pat's Island by twelve-thirty or twelve-forty-five or so, and goodbyes were said around the parking lot. SkunkApe and I headed out down the forest road to SR 19 so that he could drop me off at my car. I said goodbye down there and began the long drive home. I took 19 this time and didn't have a single problem with idiots trying to kill me, so I think that might become my default route from here on out.

It was a wonderful weekend, with wonderful folks, good hikes, great weather, and fine activities. Thank you, everyone, for helping to make this such a memorable time!

Photos:

A blowdown across the boardwalk through the swamp just south of SR 40:

The cottonmouth, ready to defend itself:

The shadows beginning to envelop the prairie:

A group photo of most of the hangers (sorry for not getting one Sunday morning, folks!):

My set-up:

Grinder's gear:

Skunk Ape's spot (with improv undercover made out of his Tyvek groundsheet!):

O-Boy's camp:

Duffy & MightyMouse had a nice trio of trees:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FLRider; 09-30-2013 at 17:59. Reason: Times were incorrect on the hike out.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddled View Post
    Both my son and I enjoyed ourselves, it was great meeting everyone. Thank you for having us and showing us the ropes
    Not a problem. You're always welcome on down this way!

~~~~~~

More Photos:

Nukeofhazard's gear:

Folks around the fire on Sunday morning:

A pair of sandhill cranes decided to investigate my camp:

Attached Images Attached Images
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    That sir, is a detailed trip report.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    We had a great time as always!! Thanks FLRider for putting this together. And thanks to everyone that was there, including those of you who were there only in spirit (OldDog!)! We made the mad-dash down to ONF from Jax as soon as we both got off work Saturday, and parked at Pat's Island in a pouring rain. Umbrella's were unfurled and strong language used, and everyday life forgotten as we trudged the sandhill prairies in the rain. FloridaHanger soon caught up with us, bearing gear we had dropped (thanks buddy!), and I knew we were bound to have a nice campfire despite wet wood. The rain quit before we made it to Hidden Pond, and a fine fire was built as hikers returned to camp from a hard day's walk. All were smiling though! Woke to the sound of coyotes howling Sunday morning, and after coffee took a dip in the pond. Walked around to visit everyone's camp - LifeScout and family had the MOST BEAUTIFUL spot! Lone pairs of pines at the edge of the woods overlooking miles of prairie...just magnificient. Had a very nice (warm) hike out, with old friends and new leapfrogging each other down the trail as we sought out little patches of shade for water breaks. All-in-all a wonderful way to end the summer and begin a new hiking/hanging season!!
    Last edited by Duffy; 09-30-2013 at 15:57.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    A few pics:

Settin up

FloridaHanger getting set up

Campfire sunset Saturday
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Wonderful trip report, FLRider. Great Pics and I can't wait to see the video. Wish I had my camera too. I think we left Hidden pond before lunch, just after 11am and hit Pat's Island about 12:45 or so, but I could be wrong.

Great time and will have a short report later.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Yeah I wish I didnt forget my camera too. Little riddled and I got lost on the way out. So that added to our time of leaving. We were the first gone and last out lol.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    -Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast