Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    What a great way to declare summer finished and the beginning of cooler (aka sane ) hammock season!

Glad you guys had fun

Dave
    'Bout durned time!

Quote Originally Posted by Life Scout View Post
    So who's jealous.
    Yeah...I think that's my spot next time I go solo out there...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    I suppose i should write a little trip report.

3rd time out to Hidden Lake Pond in the rain again. Night hike on the way in. We arrived in camp and stopped off at the pond to wash my feet off, when i notice i'm not alone at the pond. The "that's not a gator barking in the next pond over myth" is now a reality in our swimming hole. He's 15' from shore. So much for skinny dipping!

6am the rain starts back up. I took a little rubbing from the others about our huge foul weather tarps. All in fun of course. So expecting better weather I bring my small Cat cut tarp for the rain. Boy am I glad i did. Not a drop of water got to me. Field tested at last.

We set up on the other side of camp far from the group. (just to find some good trees for the 3 of us) Was a lot further than i wanted to walk back just to hang out with to group.

The hike over to Silver Glenn to go swimming was painfull with all the burs. but totally worth the trip. C+1 does not function well in the heat. But after the swim the the temps dropped 15 degrees. So C+1 dropped her anchor and was killing us all. She almost lost us on the way back to camp.

Of course we stayed up way to late Sat night catching up with old friends and making new ones. That put us up late Sunday morning for the hike out. We will learn our lesson one of these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Life Scout View Post
    I suppose i should write a little trip report.

3rd time out to Hidden Lake Pond in the rain again. Night hike on the way in. We arrived in camp and stopped off at the pond to wash my feet off, when i notice i'm not alone at the pond. The "that's not a gator barking in the next pond over myth" is now a reality in our swimming hole. He's 15' from shore. So much for skinny dipping!

6am the rain starts back up. I took a little rubbing from the others about our huge foul weather tarps. All in fun of course. So expecting better weather I bring my small Cat cut tarp for the rain. Boy am I glad i did. Not a drop of water got to me. Field tested at last.

We set up on the other side of camp far from the group. (just to find some good trees for the 3 of us) Was a lot further than i wanted to walk back just to hang out with to group.

The hike over to Silver Glenn to go swimming was painfull with all the burs. but totally worth the trip. C+1 does not function well in the heat. But after the swim the the temps dropped 15 degrees. So C+1 dropped her anchor and was killing us all. She almost lost us on the way back to camp.

Of course we stayed up way to late Sat night catching up with old friends and making new ones. That put us up late Sunday morning for the hike out. We will learn our lesson one of these days.
    Glad to hear that tarp did you right in the rain!

I hear you on the distance for getting to camp; I was too far even last time, just around the bend where Floridahanger was on this one.

C+1 was booking that afternoon, for sure. I'm glad that littlelifescout hung in there for a chance at the springs. He sure was a trooper, what with those shoes and the sandspurs.

Great photos there, too.

It was great to see you again, and I hope to see you in January!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Nice videos, Rider! Thanks for making them. Especially liked the intro on the first one, and the interview with the Cranes.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing + spiders
    Excellent writeup about an excellent weekend FLRider. I really enjoyed meeting you all, and I'm sure this hang will be the first of many. Now I just need to figure out some vacation for the annual hang. The fire side discussion about it was making me hungry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Nice videos, Rider! Thanks for making them. Especially liked the intro on the first one, and the interview with the Cranes.
    Thank you! I was really surprised that both of 'em came that close to me. They were maybe 15' or so off.

Quote Originally Posted by nukeofhazard View Post
    Excellent writeup about an excellent weekend FLRider. I really enjoyed meeting you all, and I'm sure this hang will be the first of many. Now I just need to figure out some vacation for the annual hang. The fire side discussion about it was making me hungry.
    Thanks! It was great hanging with you, and I highly recommend the annual hang for the eats if nothing else.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I want to thank everyone for coming out. Thanks FLRider for the excellent trip report.

Friday night Life Scout and family nearly walked into me looking for a spot. It appears a black hammock and black tarp are invisible at night. I laugh at the whole experience now, I was stealthy without even trying.

On Saturday, I managed to cut my leg stepping over a blow-down. I had to stop and get separated from the group in order to clean it and place an adhesive bandage on. That was in fact the first off three cuts I received during the trip. The second from a branch on the hike out on Sunday and then again from the door handle of my car. (the plastic is broken). That last climb out of the prairie onto Patt's Island was a killer. I could not smile about it then, but I am smiling about it now. Thanks Grinder!

I learned the importance of a gear hammock when the rain came early Saturday morning. It allowed me to keep the ground clear so I had plenty of room to sit in my monarch chair with the hammock stowed away in it's snake skins. The rain was actually enjoyable.

Instead of using my quilts on this trip, I decided to try a Reflectex pad and a Fleece Blanket. They both worked perfectly for the temperatures encountered.

Thanks again everyone!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I arrived at Pat's Island parking about 2:50pm on Sat. in the lite rain. On my drive in, there where many dark clouds still rolling in and I knew it would rain while on the trail... Again. Seems like there is always a baptism on this trail.

While in the car, I put my pack cover on the pack and moved a few things around the pack before getting my gear ready. After getting my gear and poncho on and a little bush watering, I headed to the Juniper Prairie trailhead on the FT headed South around 3pm in a very lite drizzle.

It had been raining earlier and all was wet thru most of the way to the Yearling Trail crossways and the trail was overgrown getting my shoes/socks very wet.

On the way down the hill past the Yearling Trail, I noticed the bottom part of a hiking pole and decided to take it with me. It looked fresh and decided to bring it just in case. I found out later it belonged to MightyMouse.

It rained most of the way down the trail and I did see some fresh footprints that had kicked up some dry sand below. I picked up my pace and caught up to Duffy and MightyMouse after a little over an hour on the trail.

I arrived at Hidden Pond around 4:15pm and met OBoy just coming out of the pond. I was surprised at camp with a few large trees that had blown down with 1 of them hung up just over the fire sitting area.

Grinder was relaxing in his hammock and Riddled and son were adjusting their rigs. After greetings, I went to set up my rig. Some of those down trees were the ones we used in July's "no underquilt hang". What a site to see those large pines down with such large rootballs and tap roots.

After setting up at the second site, where FLRider was in July, I changed into dry clothes and attempted to get my bearbag line ready to go. After throwing a little bit too hard(or, way too hard), the rock bag/line wrapped around a branch stump and got stuck. Not good.

Soooo, I left it and went to gather wood for a group fire and a warm supper. Grinder got the fire started and I started to feed it. As I was getting my supper started, the Glen Springs gang came back.

I heard Life Scout calling me and talking about having a good fire. In walked Life Scout, C+1, littlelifescout, nukeofhazzard, Great White, lilricky, FLRider, and Skunkape. They got cleaned up and joined us; Duffy, MightyMouse, Grinder, Oboy, Riddled and son and myself, for supper.

Greetings around to friendly faces and some fun chat and good food around the fire. I had cheesy fetucini mixed with crushed beef Ramen, raisins and hot tea with honey. Later, lilricky passed me some very spicy spanish rice with sausage. Great supper and filled me just right.

FLRider was kind enough to hang my food bag with his so I didn't bother to try and eradicate my line from the tree since it was now ~11pm. As I got under my tarp and started to pull out my sleepwear, a huey sized skeeter started to buzz around. I was going to go bugnetless until that monster showed up in 69* coolness. So with that, on went the bugnet and glad I did so. All night they were buzzing under my hammy.

65* was the low on my thermometer with a little breeze. I was very cozy with my new DIY mylar/insulfleece 2/3 UQ and lite fleece blanket. With the tarp in porch mode I woke at 7am to a wonderful sunny morning after waking only once at about 3:30am.

I got up and gathered more wood for the morning fire. The coals were just hot enough to get a glow going and poof, fire. I love fire. We had a nice little fire to keep the chill in the air out for breakfast. I had oatmeal and raisins with a hot cocoa/coffee mix.

After we had breakfast, Riddled and son left to get an early start out. after some planning, the rest of us ended up deciding to all head out at the same time around 11am so I spread the coals and bid a farewell to my little fire.

All, but Life Scout, C+1, and littlelifescout were ready. They had a very late start to the day. We headed out a few min after 11am with Grinder in the lead and Oboy at the rear, just behind me. Skunkape and FLRider stopped to load up on water and followed later.

After a great game of trail leapfrog with Great White, Oboy, Duffy, and MightyMouse, we then proceeded to spread out on the trail, I reached my stride and caught up to lilricky and Grinder way up front. After a stop to relieve myself and a few sips of water, I took the hill up to the Yearling Trail crossing.

The temps hit mid to upper 80's in full sun and that last climb was a little tough. Lilricky had continued to the parking lot to unload his pack and meet us at the sinkhole trail and Grinder was at the Yearling Trail crossing at the top of the hill. Grinder and I waited in the shade for the rest of our pack and for a cooldown.

Soon after, the rest of the troops caught up. One by one, they climbed to the top. All were accounted for except Riddled and son, they had left earlier in the morning, and Life Scout, C+1, and littlelifescout, they had left sometime after our group had hit the trail.

We decided the hike was complete and not to go to the sinkhole. That will be for another day. We made it to the parking lot just a little after 12:35pm and said our goodbyes. After I unloaded and changed, I chugged down my still cold water I had in the car and had some yummy cookies as I left the Pat's Island parking lot.

Thank you to FLRider for a wonderful "Summer's Last Gasp Hang" and to the good friends and new friends that joined in. We missed those of you that couldn't be there.

I hope we will all meet again, soon on the next adventure.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    I want to thank everyone for coming out. Thanks FLRider for the excellent trip report.

Friday night Life Scout and family nearly walked into me looking for a spot. It appears a black hammock and black tarp are invisible at night. I laugh at the whole experience now, I was stealthy without even trying.

On Saturday, I managed to cut my leg stepping over a blow-down. I had to stop and get separated from the group in order to clean it and place an adhesive bandage on. That was in fact the first off three cuts I received during the trip. The second from a branch on the hike out on Sunday and then again from the door handle of my car. (the plastic is broken). That last climb out of the prairie onto Patt's Island was a killer. I could not smile about it then, but I am smiling about it now. Thanks Grinder!

I learned the importance of a gear hammock when the rain came early Saturday morning. It allowed me to keep the ground clear so I had plenty of room to sit in my monarch chair with the hammock stowed away in it's snake skins. The rain was actually enjoyable.

Instead of using my quilts on this trip, I decided to try a Reflectex pad and a Fleece Blanket. They both worked perfectly for the temperatures encountered.

Thanks again everyone!
    Glad you were there, Great White! It was wonderful talking, hanging, and hiking with you.

Funny to hear about Life Scout and family; it's interesting just how stealthy subdued colors are after the sun goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I arrived at Pat's Island parking about 2:50pm on Sat. in the lite rain. On my drive in, there where many dark clouds still rolling in and I knew it would rain while on the trail... Again. Seems like there is always a baptism on this trail.

While in the car, I put my pack cover on the pack and moved a few things around the pack before getting my gear ready. After getting my gear and poncho on and a little bush watering, I headed to the Juniper Prairie trailhead on the FT headed South around 3pm in a very lite drizzle.

It had been raining earlier and all was wet thru most of the way to the Yearling Trail crossways and the trail was overgrown getting my shoes/socks very wet.

On the way down the hill past the Yearling Trail, I noticed the bottom part of a hiking pole and decided to take it with me. It looked fresh and decided to bring it just in case. I found out later it belonged to MightyMouse.

It rained most of the way down the trail and I did see some fresh footprints that had kicked up some dry sand below. I picked up my pace and caught up to Duffy and MightyMouse after a little over an hour on the trail.

I arrived at Hidden Pond around 4:15pm and met OBoy just coming out of the pond. I was surprised at camp with a few large trees that had blown down with 1 of them hung up just over the fire sitting area.

Grinder was relaxing in his hammock and Riddled and son were adjusting their rigs. After greetings, I went to set up my rig. Some of those down trees were the ones we used in July's "no underquilt hang". What a site to see those large pines down with such large rootballs and tap roots.

After setting up at the second site, where FLRider was in July, I changed into dry clothes and attempted to get my bearbag line ready to go. After throwing a little bit too hard(or, way too hard), the rock bag/line wrapped around a branch stump and got stuck. Not good.

Soooo, I left it and went to gather wood for a group fire and a warm supper. Grinder got the fire started and I started to feed it. As I was getting my supper started, the Glen Springs gang came back.

I heard Life Scout calling me and talking about having a good fire. In walked Life Scout, C+1, littlelifescout, nukeofhazzard, Great White, lilricky, FLRider, and Skunkape. They got cleaned up and joined us; Duffy, MightyMouse, Grinder, Oboy, Riddled and son and myself, for supper.

Greetings around to friendly faces and some fun chat and good food around the fire. I had cheesy fetucini mixed with crushed beef Ramen, raisins and hot tea with honey. Later, lilricky passed me some very spicy spanish rice with sausage. Great supper and filled me just right.

FLRider was kind enough to hang my food bag with his so I didn't bother to try and eradicate my line from the tree since it was now ~11pm. As I got under my tarp and started to pull out my sleepwear, a huey sized skeeter started to buzz around. I was going to go bugnetless until that monster showed up in 69* coolness. So with that, on went the bugnet and glad I did so. All night they were buzzing under my hammy.

65* was the low on my thermometer with a little breeze. I was very cozy with my new DIY mylar/insulfleece 2/3 UQ and lite fleece blanket. With the tarp in porch mode I woke at 7am to a wonderful sunny morning after waking only once at about 3:30am.

I got up and gathered more wood for the morning fire. The coals were just hot enough to get a glow going and poof, fire. I love fire. We had a nice little fire to keep the chill in the air out for breakfast. I had oatmeal and raisins with a hot cocoa/coffee mix.

After we had breakfast, Riddled and son left to get an early start out. after some planning, the rest of us ended up deciding to all head out at the same time around 11am so I spread the coals and bid a farewell to my little fire.

All, but Life Scout, C+1, and littlelifescout were ready. They had a very late start to the day. We headed out a few min after 11am with Grinder in the lead and Oboy at the rear, just behind me. Skunkape and FLRider stopped to load up on water and followed later.

After a great game of trail leapfrog with Great White, Oboy, Duffy, and MightyMouse, we then proceeded to spread out on the trail, I reached my stride and caught up to lilricky and Grinder way up front. After a stop to relieve myself and a few sips of water, I took the hill up to the Yearling Trail crossing.

The temps hit mid to upper 80's in full sun and that last climb was a little tough. Lilricky had continued to the parking lot to unload his pack and meet us at the sinkhole trail and Grinder was at the Yearling Trail crossing at the top of the hill. Grinder and I waited in the shade for the rest of our pack and for a cooldown.

Soon after, the rest of the troops caught up. One by one, they climbed to the top. All were accounted for except Riddled and son, they had left earlier in the morning, and Life Scout, C+1, and littlelifescout, they had left sometime after our group had hit the trail.

We decided the hike was complete and not to go to the sinkhole. That will be for another day. We made it to the parking lot just a little after 12:35pm and said our goodbyes. After I unloaded and changed, I chugged down my still cold water I had in the car and had some yummy cookies as I left the Pat's Island parking lot.

Thank you to FLRider for a wonderful "Summer's Last Gasp Hang" and to the good friends and new friends that joined in. We missed those of you that couldn't be there.

I hope we will all meet again, soon on the next adventure.
    Great trip report there, Floridahanger.

Thank you for tending the fire Saturday and Sunday. Sorry that I wasn't able to rescue your rock bag when I got the line down. It was wonderful talking and hiking with you again!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Great trip report there, Floridahanger.
    Thank you very much. I enjoyed remembering it, as well.

Thank you for tending the fire Saturday and Sunday. Sorry that I wasn't able to rescue your rock bag when I got the line down. It was wonderful talking and hiking with you again!
    Your very welcome and not a problem. I do like me some fire. Don't worry about it, we know where it's at and it should come down some time Also, consider it an elements experiment. It's made of CF and we'll see how it holds up
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast