DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Insulated Air Mattress in Clark

Those who have tried using an insulated air mattress in their Clark NX-250, TX-250 or similar please tell me your experience. I have a new clark tx-250 and I'll be taking it out this winter up in the mountains of eastern NC early in December. I would expect the night time temps to be in the 20's but it could be warmer or colder. I have a regular size REI stratus pad which has an R value of 3. I know an underquilt may be a better option but I don't really want to spend the extra money right now. I don't want freeze either and thats why I'm asking.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Wow! 7 hours and not a single comment.

I know an air mattress doesn't work so well in a gathered end hammock. But with the poles I would think it would be worth a try in some of the Clarks.

I used my nemo astro air mattress pad in my nx-250 with temps in 40's with my sleeping bag laying on top of me and stayed plenty warm. I have also used the same pad in my diy tablecloth hammock with temps in 30's with me in my sleeping bag and was toasty. I just blow the mattress about halfway up and have had no issues using it in a gathered end hammock. I guess if a person was a restless sleeper they could roll off but I have not had a problem.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll use my Big Agnes Q-core and sleeping bag in my nx-250

250 is great, but plan something under you

I was in the last of winter in a swamp a few months back and it hit 45 and I had an old but functional 30 degree bag. I remember that it had worked great in a t_ _t in TN a few years back on an air mattress--had more clothes but it was 28 and it worked. In Florida though at that 45, I had the cold butt and was really worried it was going to drop more--

Don't forget the large mouth nalgene 2 liter as your bed companion.
    I learned that from this forum and will never be caught out without it.

I've been wondering about blow ups for compartment for cheap as well as light,
    but I'm beginning to see that the southern flatlanders don't know cold as well as the northern folks--

We do however know humid, and that seems to throw the cold charts out of whack--a 90% humidity at 40 is brutal when caught out improperly outfitted--

I've got a top quilt and looks like a bottom quilt is in for this winter

Dave

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have used a 90s vintage full length Thermarest inside an ENO SPE I got at REI for less than I could buy the fabric for. I've only slept in the low 50s - high 40s with an inexpensive 40° bag and was toasty without zipping up the bag. The SPE wings tuck up around my sides and help to keep the entire length of the pad in place. I need to try my Warmlight Triple Bag with the DAM.

However I suspect a TQ with an UQ would be much more comfortable by being less confining than the WLTB; letting me snuggle down into and freely turn to either side and possibly onto my stomach as I often do in the hammock with just a TQ over me. That comfort alone has me thinking about laying down some serious coin for a full length down UQ & TQ.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redisnoc View Post
    ... but I'm beginning to see that the southern flatlanders don't know cold as well as the northern folks-- We do however know humid, and that seems to throw the cold charts out of whack--a 90% humidity at 40 is brutal when caught out improperly outfitted--Dave
    I think those of us in the Pacific Northwet get this.

My xp was not that great in my nd 150, instantly fighting with it bc of sliding with my independent sleeping bag. My solution as of now is big Agnes bag that allows the bag to go inside, works for me.

I normally use an Exped downmat 9, during winter. Works well, exept for a little lively mat. Looking forward to experiment with under and overquilt. i will probably allways use some kind of madras to get some structure in the hammock.

I have an NA-200 and the NX-250.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailTweaker View Post
    My xp was not that great in my nd 150, instantly fighting with it bc of sliding with my independent sleeping bag. My solution as of now is big Agnes bag that allows the bag to go inside, works for me.
    This is what I do. Just make sure to elevate the foot end a bit higher to avoid sliding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast