Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many feet?

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Traveller Lite
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 11'x11'
    Suspension
    1' DIY/Amstl Loops
    As far as LNT and trees and all that go, is there a better method? I've heard webbing's better, as is the slap-strap style. And to avoid rope.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilk View Post
    As far as LNT and trees and all that go, is there a better method? I've heard webbing's better, as is the slap-strap style. And to avoid rope.
    Nobody advocates hanging your hammock using rope around the trees. It can damage the tree. The standard is using 1" and in some cases 1.5" (required in some areas) tree straps. This can be part of your suspension as in adjustable webbing / cinch buckles or you can attach your hammock suspension (i.e. whoopie slings) to the tree straps. The tree straps typically are 6-8' in length but would be much longer if part of the suspension itself (usually more like 12-15'). As you can see from this thread there is a wide variety as to what people like to use with regard to length which will depend on personal preferences, tree diameters and distances between trees.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Traveller Lite
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 11'x11'
    Suspension
    1' DIY/Amstl Loops
    My webbing came today. Thirty feet. Yeah, it's a lot, but it was inexpensive. Enough to make a pair for my fiance, too, probably.

What's the smallest diameter tree I should hang my hammock from? I'm 5'8", 140#. What trees should I avoid? Apparently, these are a short list of species in the Catskills and Harriman where I hike: yellow birch, black cherry, red oak, white pine, eastern hemlock, paper birch, spruce and balsam fir.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsilk View Post
    My webbing came today. Thirty feet. Yeah, it's a lot, but it was inexpensive. Enough to make a pair for my fiance, too, probably.

What's the smallest diameter tree I should hang my hammock from? I'm 5'8", 140#. What trees should I avoid? Apparently, these are a short list of species in the Catskills and Harriman where I hike: yellow birch, black cherry, red oak, white pine, eastern hemlock, paper birch, spruce and balsam fir.
    I work via a tug/move test. I tug on the branch or trunk that I am considering, if it doesn't move I tug harder. If it doesn't move when I pug my full weight into the tug, I'm good to hang.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    I work via a tug/move test. I tug on the branch or trunk that I am considering, if it doesn't move I tug harder. If it doesn't move when I pug my full weight into the tug, I'm good to hang.
    This is a good practice to have when site selection. An otherwise perfect looking tree may have root damage that doesn't appear in the needles/leaves yet. You don't want the tree to snuggle with you

I buy a set of 2, 12' cargo straps for $6. Remove the cam buckles and cut the straps in half. I sew small loops and use a carabiner(need Dutch clips soon).
    That gives me 4, ~6' straps.

I use 2 for my tarp(double as extra for hammock) and 2 for my hammock. MSH (marlin spike hitch) close to the tree to avoid any possible stretch in the straps and attach my whoppies to the MSH.

No problems in more than 3 years (around 50 hangs in all weather but snow, 25*-85* lows, 95*+ daytime highs)on the original straps yet with only a little wear.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Surprised no one has mentioned this. I know others do it.

I kicked this around and decided the way to go was, to just make One of the straps four feet longer than the other.

I have yet to get myself into a situation where both trees were too large in diameter for my straps.

Yet
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    So if you figure using two 10' straps and use 3' each for around the tree, that leaves you with 14' plus an average 10' hammock leave you with a 24' spread.
    shorten that up a few ft for the angles and I'm thinking you will have a 20' spread with two 10 footers. and a 10' hammock.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    Nope. Lets see, if you use the method that you double it over and tie a knot it becomes ten feet. If you use only the length and the tree is six feet wide it becomes only fourteen feet. If the trees are far apart the extra length comes in handy. You can use the extra to hang a tarp or hang your pack.

great idea. thanks
    i have 15 ft or more because the trees r big in the sierrAs

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I think it depends a lot on where you know your going to hang. If you live in the Northwest, or cali,,where you have sequoias, and redwoods,, or if your going to stomp around in so called virgin timbered areas of which we don't have a lot of,,go long straps. I gave up carrying straps and the guess work,,now using Dutch straps, buckles, and couple of pieces of 4' amsteel with fixed loop ends for backup,,and that's it, I still own 8', 6', 4', and 3' tree straps, and leave them at home. And still have strap left over from my setup and have had to had help getting them around a big tree as I couldn't reach all the way around it by myself..do what you feel works for you, where you think you will hang,,and how big you think the trees are going to be..for me,,I have hung around 4" trees before and it works fine. Pack your pack,,and hang your hang, and enjoy!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1. I use 4' tree straps and 5' whoopies, that work just about anywhere in the east. Just don't need any more length than these.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast