DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps

how cold is stupid?

so I need recommendations and I have a few months to plan my course of action. I want to pick some of the coldest nights to hang in. that means below-40* and with wind chills on top. I plan on backyarding it first(have a stand and trees and fence) and making sure I can abandon the frozen ship.
    what I have:
    Old man winter tarp
    thunderbird 11' / switchback hammock
    exped 9 down inflatable mat/pad
    my regular sleeping bag wont cut it cuz I use it tenting in the winter so I know I need more than that. was looking at wiggy's sleeping bags( instead of TQ)
    what I plan to get:
    lost biker's gore-tex winter sock
    full length 0* UQ or pod or really long UQ to make it podish. still researching if it would work.
    now for those who have done this before....advice. without breaking my piggy bank

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Wow!

-40??????
    Actually sounds Dangerous! back yard or not.

EXTREME HAMMOCKING
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

There are threads of some folks doing sub zero hangs. Also Shug and others have videos off these outings. I suggest tracking them down and gleening info from them. It seems people attack the cold in various ways.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    There are threads of some folks doing sub zero hangs. Also Shug and others have videos off these outings. I suggest tracking them down and gleening info from them. It seems people attack the cold in various ways.
    I agree, go watch some of shugs videos

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Turk (I think he is no longer active but I could be wrong) was noted for his cold weather escapes. He had some videos posted. Smart move to backyard it IMO.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    That is way colder than anything I've ever been in. My advice? Make sure that someone is able to check on you every hour or two under such conditions during the evening. That's the kind of cold that kills folks when they're not careful, so the extra safety line is probably a good idea.

Otherwise, best of luck and have fun!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    What temp have you got down to with the gear you have?

I would consider, as winter gets started, getting out in the backyard in a temp 10* lower than what your last record was and seeing how warm your system keeps you. If you get cold or have to bail, then look for top, bottom or all around insulation/wind protection (depending on what you think would make the most difference) and give that a try working your way down to something like -40* in 10* increments, because bears don't like frozen burritos.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Definitely work towards it. I recommend 10 degree increments. As far as insulation, aat that temp I would be using ccf exclusively. That is what I use in the extreme subzero.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Turk (I think he is no longer active but I could be wrong) was noted for his cold weather escapes. He had some videos posted. Smart move to backyard it IMO.
    Back in the day, Turk had apparently been reading some of my early stuff experimenting with the Speer PeaPod, though of course for me at thousands of degrees warmer temps, more or less. So one day he chimes in, I think in one of my Pod threads or in response to me about pods, to say he finally decided to try it and had rigged up a pod test, much as Shug would later do. He was blown away at how efficient it was compared to what he had been doing.

I see you have a Swithcback. I suggest, if $ allow, you start with a PolarPod as your base. It is 48 oz, about the weight of 2 full length quilts, top and bottom. Then add insulation as needed, and/or have them add extra down to the Polarpod as an option. This is bigger and roomier than the PeaPod, so you should be able to add enough insulation for the temps you are looking at. The added insulation can be various sleeping bags or quilts you already have, any Parkas you are not already sleeping in(this approach can easily add 4 to 8" additional total loft), your pad, a space blanket and/or VB clothing. CAUTION: learn everything there is to know about VBs before doing this so you don't wake up wet and frozen) For example, by adding nothing more than my ~2 oz HHSS's space blanket down into my 20F rated PeaPod, I have had no trouble sleeping at 10F, with a summer quilt added for top warmth.

Or, if you have a big, roomy 0F or minus 40F sleeping bag with the right zippers, or even a big enough 10-20F bag, you could look into just trying to get your bag to work as a pod. Which may or may not require some bag mods:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=27574

Of course, pods are just one way, though a great way, to get 'er done.

And looks like you will be putting that Gore-Tex sock to the test as far as condensation goes! At least that will be a huge help for blocking the wind and external wind blown snow, if condensation does not defeat you. Otherwise, just make sure you have good tarp skills to block that wind!

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    That is way colder than anything I've ever been in. My advice? Make sure that someone is able to check on you every hour or two under such conditions during the evening. That's the kind of cold that kills folks when they're not careful, so the extra safety line is probably a good idea.

Otherwise, best of luck and have fun!
    What he said!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast