Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

Hammock Camper or Hammock Hiker?

Just curious as to how everyone views their style. I had always thought of people who camp with hammocks as UL backpacker types until I started camping in one. Due to some bad knees and back, I'm not able to trek long distances but love spending as many nights as possible hanging. Even if I could go 15 miles in a day not sure if I would since it would cut into my relaxing/cooking/eating time. So for you, is it more about the distance traveled, or just getting to a nice spot and staying for a while?

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I want to get my setup light enough to be able to go for long days but comfortable enough to stay a while and relax. Easy to do in any hammock
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    My mindset, so far, on this is pretty simple. I go out to experience the wilderness. If that means hiking long distances to see as much of it as I can, great. If it means hiking slow and short distances, taking the time to soak every inch of it in, then sitting around camp enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells, great. If it means a short hike to a specific destination and then spending a couple days there (fishing), great.

I don't really care, as long as I'm in the woods. Whether I hike far and fast (for me) and end up with bloody feet and a bum knee, or I take a leisurely walk through the forest, it doesn't matter. I always return healed.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Hammock Camper or Hammock Hiker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    My mindset, so far, on this is pretty simple. I go out to experience the wilderness. If that means hiking long distances to see as much of it as I can, great. If it means hiking slow and short distances, taking the time to soak every inch of it in, then sitting around camp enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells, great. If it means a short hike to a specific destination and then spending a couple days there (fishing), great.

I don't really care, as long as I'm in the woods. Whether I hike far and fast (for me) and end up with bloody feet and a bum knee, or I take a leisurely walk through the forest, it doesn't matter. I always return healed.
    +1 and very nicely said.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

+1 on that Kyle. I couldn't have said it more eloquently myself. So latriper............ What Kyle said.......
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 40 degree
    Suspension
    HH w/ garda hitch

Perfect, this describes me as well. Very well said

Hammock
    simply light 11' 1.1 sl
    Tarp
    noah12, crazycreek
    Insulation
    SLD Quickhang
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I hike, because it's necessary to get to the wilderness. I absolutely avoid trails. I just shinny off into the woods....sometime half a mile, sometimes 10........ doesn't matter as long as I'm away from the things of man. If I wanna go farther, I do, If I wanna stop, I do. I just function normally in the wilderness.... not so much in "civilization"... Outside is my natural environment. A hammock and tarp let me go to the places I want to go. No way to get a tent into those areas even if you could find a flat spot ( and I hate tents anyway). Hammocking has opened up a whole level of comfort for me when I get out to the bottom-lands that was not there for me as a ground sleeper.
    That and as far as I know, cottonmouths don't like hammocks. Bit once. Once is enough.
    I am gonna try a group hang asap..... I'm not much of a socialite... but Y'all ain't just folks, you're hangers!

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple

I'm with Kyle, I hike to relax and distress! It doesn't matter the length of time whether it's a overnight or a week it's about getting out there and enjoying yourself and nature!

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Just get out there... Not everyone is 25 mile a day trail blazers... And not everyone enjoys staying at the same place three days in a row... But hey we are all out in the woods to have some fun... Hang your own hang, hike your own hike... Just get airborne...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I go both ways. Sometimes I go out with a goal of hiking a certain amount of miles. Sometimes I'm out to just be lazy and may never end up for than eye shot from my car. Sometimes I go out because I can't stand another minute in the city and I'll stroll leisurely through the woods till I decide to stop for the night or just for a break.

No matter what though, at least I'm in the woods.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast