Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    CAMPING comes first

HAMMOCK next, when it works out

TENT or TEPEE & ground based rest, after that

if the above fail to work out, 5TH WHEEL RV

i have not yet found a motel or hotel that provided me w/ a REALLY GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP, as my camping set-ups do

i have not found motels or hotels situated where i prefer to sit w/ my fire & cup ...

how one chooses to get out TO THE WOODS is a personal decision

how far one chooses to go INTO THE WOODS is a personal decision

those decisions can be/are determined by many factors

the bottom line, for this old man, is to GO CAMPING REGULARLY

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I'm a paddling hammocker. Paddle out, camp for the night, next morning, pack up and move on, then set up camp again for the next night. Sometimes though, if we find a really nice beach or island, we'll stay more than one night. There's far too much to see to sit in one place for long. Have only car camped a couple of times with the hammocks.
    Debi

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    Just curious as to how everyone views their style. I had always thought of people who camp with hammocks as UL backpacker types until I started camping in one. Due to some bad knees and back, I'm not able to trek long distances but love spending as many nights as possible hanging. Even if I could go 15 miles in a day not sure if I would since it would cut into my relaxing/cooking/eating time. So for you, is it more about the distance traveled, or just getting to a nice spot and staying for a while?

Hammock camper,its about getting to a good spot and relaxing and hanging , enjoying the outdoors.
    I also have bad knees so the long hikes are a thing of the past for me

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by pravenda View Post
    Sometimes I have to go into the woods. New for me is the opportunity to stay: So I like to do both: Car-camping and hiking around in Switzerland.
    In Italy, Switzerland and Germany free (wild) camping is prohibited, so You have to do some stealthy action or take a public camping side. But beware: in Italy You will be punished for a wild camp with a 300-1000 Euro (better buy another complete set)ticket. And if You go to a public side, You have to talk,talk,talk all about hammocking
    There is nowhere you can camp in Germany other than a public campground? There is no backpacking?
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Just get out there... Not everyone is 25 mile a day trail blazers... And not everyone enjoys staying at the same place three days in a row... But hey we are all out in the woods to have some fun... Hang your own hang, hike your own hike... Just get airborne...
    Amen!

Being with the scouts, for me, it usually ends up being whatever the purpose of the campout is.. be it a hiking trip, or setting up a base camp and roaming around afterward.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have really enjoyed reading everyone's perspective (keep them coming). I think it is awesome that there are so many ways to enjoy the woods, water, mountains etc.... the reason for the question was.. as a newbie to hammocking, I was a little intimidated by the fact that I wasn't able to get down the trail like I know so many do. So If you ever run into me out in the woods, stop and say hi! I have been known to cook up some. pretty good food in the woods,

I'm one of those hikers with beat up joints. Distance I can do, but speed I can't. So I've learned to take my time and enjoy a nice slow hike and if I need a break then its time to put my feet up for a few days.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    All of the above.
    For me it about getting out there. With my load light and comfy.. I have the ability to go distances or just find two trees and enjoy not to far from the car.
    Since I camp with the Scouts every month it is never car camping, but not always blazing a lot of miles either.
    Its about being in the woods, trails, and enjoying the experience. But always in the hammock.
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Since I camp with the Scouts every month it is never car camping, but not always blazing a lot of miles either.
    Its about being in the woods, trails, and enjoying the experience. But always in the hammock.
    I am not a SM or ASM but I do camp a lot with my son's troop. I think me and another dad have been adopted as camp cooks for the adults . Just had a camp out last weekend and had 9 hammocks hanging. It is fun to watch the progression of the troop. We will probably never totally abandon the te** but already have others planning to obtaining hammocks and now talking about a fall hike in Arkansas. BTW, I cooked up some good cornbread in my DIY cardboard box oven to go along with my buddy's red beans and rice!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by latriper View Post
    ...for you, is it more about the distance traveled, or just getting to a nice spot and staying for a while?
    I hike, canoe camp, car camp, camp to hunt or fish... I even hang in the back yard on work nights when I get the urge. ANY camping is good camping!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast