Fabric Dimensions

I am 6 foot 6 inches and have used hammocks for camping in the past. But they have all been too small for me. I cant stretch out flat, my legs end up being bowed and uncomfortable.

I am looking to build a hammock that I can sleep more diagonal in, but would like to know if anyone has worked out a fabric dimension calculator/spread sheet. I want to know what size piece of fabric I will need in order to make a hammock large enough for me.

Images
    What size have your hammocks been in the past?

There is no one size fits all, it is all pretty individual.

I would imagine an 11ft hammock with a width over 60in would be a good starting point, but that is all theoretical .

I built one that was 8 1/2 feet by 4 feet, thinking that was big enough, but the only way I can sleep in it is to crank it down real tight so that there is hardly any sag in it.

Is 11 foot about standard for length? Is the width where the difference would be?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by dxhansen View Post
    I am 6 foot 6 inches and have used hammocks for camping in the past. But they have all been too small for me. I cant stretch out flat, my legs end up being bowed and uncomfortable.

I am looking to build a hammock that I can sleep more diagonal in, but would like to know if anyone has worked out a fabric dimension calculator/spread sheet. I want to know what size piece of fabric I will need in order to make a hammock large enough for me.
    I think the physics/geometry are working against you - the wider you try to stretch (by sleeping on the diagonal) a rectangular piece of fabric that's hung by its ends, the greater the force needed to keep the hammock 'open'.

Perhaps you should be looking at a bridge hammock design, where the spreader bars keep the hammock open, and the shaped fabric encourages a flat lay with the edges of the hammock (the suspension) in a caternary.

I'd recommend an Exped Ergo, but you are definitely too tall for the one I have (2013? model).

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'm 6 foot even. You can get some 1.1 Marpat Ripstop nylon that's 64" wide from DIY Gear Supply. I've made a 12 foot hammock out of it (10 foot ridgeline) and have found that even if I have to hang it weird, I always get a flat lay.

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Generally, height + four feet is a good starting point. If you're DIYing it, you can start longer and adjust down after some testing. I am just a hair under 6' and I made mine 11' and have been quite happy.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY TheXringHunt 9' WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Ridgerest & WM Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

The design I used.

I'm 6'4" and used the 9ft plans in this thread by TheXringHunt.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38451

I think it's really an 11'er if you go by the raw fabric dimensions like most folks do. For me there's plenty of room to spare and it is extremely comfortable...I highly recommend it!

-schaapj

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dxhansen View Post
    I built one that was 8 1/2 feet by 4 feet, thinking that was big enough, but the only way I can sleep in it is to crank it down real tight so that there is hardly any sag in it.

Is 11 foot about standard for length? Is the width where the difference would be?
    9-10 is probably standard but there seem to be a lot more 11footers out there. I have hammocks from 9-11ft and they are all comfortable but I am a lot shorter than you.

There is a thread on here somewhere that articulates the correlation between width, length and comfort but if I was you I would just go bigger than what you did and go from there. I think you need to go at least 5ft wide and at least 10-11ft in length. Just find what works for you.

Thanks guys, this helps. I cant believe how many responses I got in such a short period of time.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Wider does work if you have enough sag. That is why Hennessy came up with the structural ridge line to guarantee it. You also will find a lot of folks are back sleepers in a hammock but side or belly sleepers on a mattress. It's worth a try. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts