HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

UQ in a doubled layered hammock?

I have a HHDJ XL double layered (bottom) and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting their UQ inside the layers to see if that has an affect in holding heat. My thinking (only in logic so far but not in practice...yet) is if you have to have the UQ up against you and the ends cinched fairly tightly so that air doesn't get into it, then wouldn't it be better to out it inside the 'pocket' as the draft wouldn't get in through the gaps and it will be snug up against you? I know it may compress a little but would it have much of an impact in retaining heat than if it hung under neath? Has anyone tried this method and what did you discovered? Sorry about all the questions but I'm more curious in thinking if there was a different way for us folks who has a double layered bottom to our hammocks.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I'm not sure about your hammock, but in my BB/DL it would compress to the point of almost no insulation. It would help in warm conditions where your are just trying to keep the coolness off your backside, but would be useless below about 70F.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Wbbb 1,7 DL + a DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly + a DIY.
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    I'm not sure about your hammock, but in my BB/DL it would compress to the point of almost no insulation. It would help in warm conditions where your are just trying to keep the coolness off your backside, but would be useless below about 70F.
    +1 in my wbbb.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Cant speak about your HHDJ XL, but most double layer hammock bodies are cut roughly to the same dimensions, used for added strength (boosting the working weight limit). Unless the second layer is sufficiently longer than the first layer, Duffy is right, and the UQ would be compressed almost completely.

Using pads, or other insulators that are not affected by compression, would really shine between the two layers, as it wouldn't move around on you quite as much.

An integrated UQ layer, such as my Sheltowee Hammocks, DO block any drafts that you may get, by integrating the extra fabric on the head and foot ends into the whipping of the hammock.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: UQ in a doubled layered hammock?

Maybe an IX type uq
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    How would you keep it in place? With it under your hammock, you use shock cord and hang it from your suspension. Inside the double layer how will you keep it from bunching up and moving?
    "No whining in the woods"

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I have an HHDJ XL. The insulation would become compressed to the point it was useless. UQs are designed to hang under the hammock to avoid being compressed.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

UQ in a doubled layered hammock?

All good answers and questions. You're probably right about the compression as it would squish whatever loft was left inside the down, causing as little air to heat up so making it colder. In affect it would probably turn the UQ into a reflective pad and only serve as a wind break than a heating pad. That's a good question about 'how to keep it in place'. With the reflective pad it comes with two tie-outs, on at the head and other at the foot on alternative ends. That's true about the UQ are designed to fit underneath and anchored to the hammock suspension, as to keep it in place would be a bit of mission. That's awesome for the ideas guys, just trying to solve one issue but probably creates 10 more!
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

• + New Posts