Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    It depends Upon the temperature Btw what temp is there?
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    And now I find this quote from a BSA scout master in alaska
    Great quote.. especially love the part about not a good idea to throw rocks at grizzlies and bull moose.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't sleep naked while camping- mostly because I don't want my body oils getting on my nice down top quilt. However, I usually try to sleep in as few layers as possible. I have slept in -13°F, and was warm- with only a nice base layer (top & bottom), two pairs of wool socks, and a thin fleece (for about half the night. I actually got too warm, and had to remove it).

To each his own; but this is my experience.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The admonition, "Cotton kills" applies if you are wearing it as main outdoor clothing and it gets wet. But as rweb82 said, there are body oils and such that make their way into the sleeping bag or top quilt. My words are, "It's easier to wash pajamas than it is the clean a sleeping bag (especially down)." And at the end of a hard day, it feels real good to put on a pair of soft, clean, cotton, pj's and climb into the hammock. I also wear light socks and a balaclava. So I wear "outdoor gear" when doing outdoor stuff. But at sleep time, I don't have a problem with cotton.

I sleep outside several days a week, all seasons, and the comfort difference between lightly clothed vs heavily clothed is more apparent. The lighter pj's give me more freedom of movement inside a warm cocoon. Heavier clothes bind/restrict more. But in the cold part of winter (near single digits) I might add a very light down jacket.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-10-2018 at 21:52.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    I have always been surprised to read (on this forum) the amount of cloths people sleep in. I would never sleep naked in a sleeping bag, I think I would sweat too much. I do a lot of cold weather camping and usually wear to bed in the woods the same thing I wear to bed at home. I figure let your bag do the job of keeping you warm. If your cold, get a better bag. I learned this lesson one cold night when I had on a ton of layers and was freezing. I dont remember why I decided to take off the layers and just be in pj pants and a tshirt but I instantly warmed up. When I read about some of you wearing so much to bed I feel sorry for you... but to each his/her own.
    I completely agree with this - especially the first sentence, and the comment "if you're cold get a better bag"
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I completely agree with this - especially the first sentence, and the comment "if you're cold get a better bag"
    No need to feel sorry for me — I'm carrying a 20 lb pack when others are carrying 40-50-60 lbs, and I'm perfectly warm and comfortable sleeping in my down parka and down pants to supplement my 20 deg TQ. (I use a 0deg Incubator UQ when it's really cold.)

For car camping or for going a short distance into the woods, weight is not much of a concern. If you're carrying it many miles on your back, it matters, and the direct link between pack weight and enjoyment of the outdoors becomes ever more obvious.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011