Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I found that I was much warmer in my tent when I was nekkid. But I have not gotten the gumption up to try it in the hammock although I have wanted to. I can not explain it and I have seen lots of people try. The simple fact is that has been my experience. Now that I have my Super Shelter I will be testing the theory out again in the hammock.

If my feet are cold I take my socks off. They warm right up.
    It is hard to figure how this could be the case, depending on the type of clothing being worn. Unless the warm clothing not worn was still inside a roomy bag or quilt still providing insulation. But, I think it was Shadowmoss that once told me her feet were cold until she took her socks off!

On a related matter, the unusual Mr.Wiggy- of the Wiggy sleeping bags( and his Wiggys Alaska counterparts- claim's that they make their sleeping bags WITHOUT neck collars because it is warmer. I think they use the glove vs. mitten comparison, claiming it is detrimental to separate the head from the heat the body gives off. I don't know, I always felt that a tightly sealed neck collar felt awful warm, but I suppose if you had enough of a face seal with the bags hood you would be good to go. Maybe this is related to th clothing restricts circulation theories.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Still the restricting bloodflow part does seem to have some merit.
    Jim Bridger always slept fully clothed!

I sleep fully clothed, all synthetic, but I loosen my clothing.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Still the restricting bloodflow part does seem to have some merit.
    I cannot even consider the failed logic behind your classmate's statement, by his reasoning you would be cold outside your sleeping bag too, right? Ya know because standing around camp in constricting clothing is colder than being nude.

Read the "98 degrees: the art of keeping your a$$ alive" by local AZ outdoorsman and survivalist Cody Lundin. He has the answers.

the whole point of this myth was started to coax young ASU freshmen into getting naked. Well, it worked for me a couple o' times.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't mean to be harsh... but there are a few of us who have experience that says the concept has merit. I do not advocate it for people who are skeptical. But I know what I have experienced.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    in the winter i find sleeping with just thermal stuff on I.E. under armour sand other items of the like then shoving all my fleece and socks into my bag (during the winter i wear thermal base then fleece jacket and pants followed by a insulated shell) i will leave my jacket and snow pants out. if its going to go below zero i will put my jacket over my bag for extra insulation

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Cannibal, sometimes I worry about you.
    Little ol me? Well, at least I understand why Lost was givin you funny looks when she caught you napping in a hammock with Nest.
    I sleep warmer the less I have on when I'm in my down sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by archerm122 View Post
    That's one way to get people to click on the link!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I think restricted blood flow is a red herring. Get real. How much restriction is there to a loose shirt and boxer shorts?

I wear sleeping clothes mainly to keep my stink and body oils off my quilts and hammock. It is a lot easier to clean the clothes after a trip than the quilt...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    I think restricted blood flow is a red herring. Get real. How much restriction is there to a loose shirt and boxer shorts?
    Practically none! But if you are wearing a full set of clothing, is there a chance of restriction, and just overall discomfort? IMO, yes...which is why I have always slept nude in my sleeping bag...the comfort issue that is.

Another trick I use in cold weather is to pull my pants down around my ankles and not take them off, then pull my arms out of my shirt or sweater, but not pull it over my head. This way I have the benifit of sleeping nude, whilst retaining the ability to quickly redress. Also, I get the added bonus of the sweater acting as a draft collar, which I have always liked very much.

Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    I wear sleeping clothes mainly to keep my stink and body oils off my quilts and hammock. It is a lot easier to clean the clothes after a trip than the quilt...
    I totally agree with that logic. I also feel that in warm weather, a pair of boxers and a shirt is much more comfortable than using a bag liner, which is much more difficult to adjust if it develops an annoying fold under you than a shirt.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have always been surprised to read (on this forum) the amount of cloths people sleep in. I would never sleep naked in a sleeping bag, I think I would sweat too much. I do a lot of cold weather camping and usually wear to bed in the woods the same thing I wear to bed at home. I figure let your bag do the job of keeping you warm. If your cold, get a better bag. I learned this lesson one cold night when I had on a ton of layers and was freezing. I dont remember why I decided to take off the layers and just be in pj pants and a tshirt but I instantly warmed up. When I read about some of you wearing so much to bed I feel sorry for you... but to each his/her own.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Warmer when nekkid.
    I sleep warmer the less I have on when I'm in my down sleeping bag.
    I know who I won't try to scare in the middle of the night on a hang, and hope that I'm not around when the bear starts shaking up the camp and everyone jumps out of their hammocks!

Cannibal, sometimes I worry about you.
    I always worry about Cannibal. I mean, it's Cannibal......

I do not advocate it for people who are skeptical. But I know what I have experienced.
    Experience is usually the best teacher. Every one is different, and I respect your differences. I think if you have sweaty feet or body, being nekkid dries your skin off quicker so you don't get clammy, and cool off quicker. I sweat, but I dry up real fast (as long as there is no cotton around to act like a sponge.) And I have a very hot core, so my clothes dry on my back. Warm sleeper, to say the least.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast