Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tarp
    DIY with 1/2 doors
    Suspension
    DIY Hctits

Hctits' DIY posts.

I'm going to use this post for all of my DIY projects. So far the only thing I haven't made was my hammock!

Suspension, 1inch poly webbing, Titanium Descender rings. I can probably shorten the tree strap parts eventually, at the moment with trees this diameter I can easily span a 28ft gap

Small hole at each end of the bug net tightly fits the strap on the hammock.

zip from top to bottom so I can open the net and sit on the hammock, I take my shoes off and store them on a 1/4 sized hammock below my main hammock.

Silnylon tarp, no seam at the top. velcro "doors" at each end for extra rain protection

The bug net was 6 yards of fabric to start with, I did a rolled hem on each end with 1/2 inch grosgrain in the middle of it. to this I stitched the zips.

the top I did a grosgrain hemmed edge with small holes in each end. then I cut some angles on the bottom and did another grosgrain hem.
    Last edited by Hctits; 09-16-2013 at 17:32. Reason: I lied. I did use 1 inch webbing not 3/4

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I like your setup..Nice and clean cut..Very impressive.

Taking notes......

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I like the way you did that---very clever!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Definitely different - and great work. Where did you get the titanium descenders from?
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Tarp
    DIY with 1/2 doors
    Suspension
    DIY Hctits
    I had a guy make me a bunch replicating one that used to be available. they are useful for all kinds of rigging.

it means the weakest part of my suspension is the stitches around the rings (its all one piece)

when I have the skins and other little things made, it will be very fast to deploy. and its nice to know that I shouldn't be able to break the suspension regardless of the angles.

Tarp
    DIY with 1/2 doors
    Suspension
    DIY Hctits
    this apparently is the only picture I have that shows the gear hammock under the main hammock. its just a simple channel with small utility cord on it. its loops through the main hammocks biner and prusik's back to itself.

and here is a quick shot of some bug friendly gear suspended above me under the tarp.

Images
    real nice setup you've made there. Keep up the good work

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    real nice setup you've made there. Keep up the good work
    +1 like the setup.
    Question when you add your weight to the hammock it seems it would drop some & the tarp would be loose from where it is staked out now?
    Reason I ask recently I was hanging where there were only small diameter trees. Everything was nice & snug but after getting into the hammock for sleep the trees bent in a few inches & my tarp was loose. No big deal except it got windy in the night & that constant flapping kept waking me up off & on.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you hung in this design in rain yet? I believe that water will be apt to run to the ring and follow the latch right down to your hammock. Make sure to divert any water travel with well positioned drip strips and you should be good to go.

Tarp
    DIY with 1/2 doors
    Suspension
    DIY Hctits
    I thought that would be an issue, the guy ropes currently are just shock cord. but I found over the weekend that the suspension is so strong I couldn't see it move if I got in and out. one of my next changes is going to be regular guy ropes, probably with shock cord tensioners.

eventually I'll have to make another tarp, I injured my wrist over the summer and that limited my sewing abilities, combining that with inexperience and you get not very straight seems. so as tight as I can make the guys i cant make the tarp fully taught.

I tested the suspension early on by putting it between two trees and tightening it until it was flat, then three of us hung on it. one of the trees visually moved and the straps were at most an inch lower than starting.

oh and I'm sure someone will ask, the tarp, bugnet, hammock, suspension, gear hammock all total together to 5lbs or close to. my scales arent the best in the world, but they show it as being 5.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast