Eno Db nest and DIY acu camo hammoc
    Tarp
    Cheap blue tarp :(
    Insulation
    Diy Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New guy. Going camping and hanging!!

Next weekend we are planning on going on a canoe trip in lady smith, Wi on the flambeau river. Looks like we picked a cold weekend!!! 39 degree low!!! Very excited tho to try out my eno double nest and guardian bug net. I plan using a 20 degree mummy bag, a blue pad, and possibly this fleece blanket i have thats quite huge as a make shift under quilt. I also have one of those space blankets if im real cold. Lmk what you guys think, I can't stop thinking about this trip!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)

put in your due diligence

Quote Originally Posted by Dowellz View Post
    Next weekend we are planning on going on a canoe trip in lady smith, Wi on the flambeau river. Looks like we picked a cold weekend!!! 39 degree low!!! Very excited tho to try out my eno double nest and guardian bug net. I plan using a 20 degree mummy bag, a blue pad, and possibly this fleece blanket i have thats quite huge as a make shift under quilt. I also have one of those space blankets if im real cold. Lmk what you guys think, I can't stop thinking about this trip!!!
    sounds like a great plan. The insulation sounds like it will suffice, but YMMV.

If you haven't already, practice hanging your hammock, practice rigging your UQ, practice getting in to that bag and using the pad.

I've seen people claim that hammock camping is no more technical than tenting. That IMHO is BS. I've just started doing the hammock thing and I'm finding many rewards from just practicing (way more practice than I ever needed to do the tent thing) in the yard--which is where you want to find out if that UQ idea will work (or not), how much wiggle you need to stay on that blue pad, and so on. All very do-able IMO but when it gets dark at 7 and it is 40 degrees and the wind is blowing it is not the time to be experimenting.

Also one assumes reasonable other gear, like a hat and warm clothes kept strictly dry and sundry other usual camping stuffs. Good luck and enjoy!

--fresh off the windy chilly Kitattiny Ridge (Kittatiny? Kittattiny? Whatever)
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have some good fun out there))))
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Diy Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the reply, i have actually slept in it about 5 times, if i could i would all the time but the wife probably wouldn't like that haha. Only 1 time with the pad and makeshift underquilt. The pad made my back a little sweaty, but the fleece blanket underneath im hoping will act as a wind break and add some insulation.

As far as clothing when i sleep, i plan on wearing under armor long underwear. And a fleece zip up, wool socks, and some cotton pants.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Diy Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Shug, btw i really liked your videos. Help cure the itch while i wait to go camping

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Nice, where about in IA are you there seems to be a group of Iowans arriving here lately.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Diy Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I live in dubuque

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I live in dubuque
    Same here, I believe Photoman is from Dubuque also.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Since you are going in a canoe, gear weight and bulk may not be a big issue, though if you have a lot of portages you'll want to keep the gear amount under control, I suppose. Any canoe trip I've been on, we took lots of gear and food!
    The reason I mention this is:
    Unless you are very confident you'll be able to find easy spots to hang (not so obvious when you are a beginner, I think), a tent alternative would be a good backup. Either an arrangement to share a tent, or taking a cheap tent for yourself, or practice using your tarp as a tarp tent on the ground before you leave..... With your blue pad and sleeping bag you will be set to sleep on the ground if necessary.

I'm just starting to use the hammock, and I throw my solo tent in the kayak as backup.

Taking some extra lengths of Amsteel or webbing or substantial rope in case you have to rig your hammock between trees with wider separation might also be prudent.

Just a few thoughts.....I too think about setting up in the rain and dark - the days are getting shorter.

Are your canoe companions tenting or hammocking?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    Diy Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    They are tent camping and we don't have any portages luckily. Best part of taking a canoe or kayak you can really up your gear load. Plus how do you guys hike with a cooler of beer?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast