NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Clark Zippers

Purchased a nx250 when they were on sale and got it this week. Playing with it in the back yard. For the life of me I can not figure out the 4 zippers on the bug netting. Been pondering it all day and cant figure it out. I mean sure I can use them and open and close but can not understand the how and why of the 4 zippers.

Hammock
    NX-150
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Z-liner/DIY baffle
    Suspension
    Whoopie All-In-One
    I imagine the reason for the 4 zippers is two-fold:

1) so that the user could opt to use either the screen, no screen, or stormshield.

2) so that the zippers could be unzipped, starting up near the head. With only two zippers, the final stopping point would be near the feet, and in the middle of the night, when nature is calling, trying to reach down and FIND the end zipper (which side?) might prove to be an interesting example of humor for those watching from the outside. And if the call of nature was an absolute emergency, then getting out quickly would nearly be out of the question.

That, I believe, is why. However, people with much more experience might have differing thoughts.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    My Clark has two zippers and four zipper slides. Two are for the netting and two are for the weather shield. It's kind of nice, I can have both the weather shield and netting on at the same time or just one or the other by itself. The downside is they can be a little heavy for backpacking, which is probably why no one else does it that way.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: Clark Zippers

Quote Originally Posted by StormKingHiker View Post
    I imagine the reason for the 4 zippers is two-fold:
    1) so that the user could opt to use either the screen, no screen, or stormshield.
    2) so that the zippers could be unzipped, starting up near the head. With only two zippers, the final stopping point would be near the feet, and in the middle of the night, when nature is calling, trying to reach down and FIND the end zipper (which side?)...
    I tend to park the zippers on opposite sides in the middle so I can always easily find one. That kind of convenience is why I got a Clark as my first hammock.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy

Clark Zippers

Like Angler said, the zippers allow you to access each side of the hammock. I took off the metal zipper pulls and replaced them with longer lengths of Zing-It so they could easily be reached in the hammock. It helps me out when I inevitably forget to position the zippers close to me.

Hammock
    NX250, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    Zliner, AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I called Clark. The reason is BUGS. What you do is slid the two zipper to where you want to reach out of your hammock to access some gear. That way you only need to open enough to stick your hand out with out opening a large amount of the bug netting. Makes a lot of sense now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    My Clark has two zippers and four zipper slides. Two are for the netting and two are for the weather shield. It's kind of nice, I can have both the weather shield and netting on at the same time or just one or the other by itself. The downside is they can be a little heavy for backpacking, which is probably why no one else does it that way.
    In the older Clarks the netting was zippered to the hammock body and over that, the weathershield was also zippered to the hammock body. With that setup either one or both could be used separately or together.
    In the newer ones, the netting is zippered to the hammock body and the weathershield is zippered to the netting. With that setup the weathershield can only be deployed if the netting is zipped closed.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    In the newer ones, the netting is zippered to the hammock body and the weathershield is zippered to the netting. With that setup the weathershield can only be deployed if the netting is zipped closed.
    I noticed this while lounging in my NX 250 and I like the idea....it gives me a little bit (maybe 5-6 degrees or more?) heat retention than just the weathershield by itself. I can't imagine a scenario where I would even want to have the weathershield on by itself when I could put both on at the same time.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    In the older Clarks the netting was zippered to the hammock body and over that, the weathershield (WS_ was also zippered to the hammock body. With that setup either one or both could be used separately or together.
    In the newer ones, the netting is zippered to the hammock body and the WS is zippered to the netting. With that setup the WS can only be deployed if the netting is zipped closed.
    That is true for the NX250 and likely others. The weather-shield is a shield to the netting.

But, I also have one of the old Tropical II's, discontinued, which has the weather-shield option. The WS and netting are independent, and either or both can be deployed.

Can an owner of a North American model say how the WS is attached on that model?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I can say that my 2010 NX-200 is configured so I can use either.

• + New Posts