tent footprint
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Images

Funky Forest Tarp-agami

Hey there, gang!

Been testing my Grand Trunk Funky Forest Tarp (now the All-Purpose Rain Fly I think) all summer, and thought I'd post some pics/musings.

Stats: : weight: about 2lbs
    Dimensions: 10'x10'

Basically, the pros are that this thing is HUGE--10ft on each side equates to 15' on the diagonal, so you can get a huge wingspan with this thing. You can also put it on your ridgeline off-kilter thanks to all the various guy points they give you (four on a side, with three running down the middle), which gives you options to do some cool tarp-agami. I'd recommend bringing a couple extra guylines with you to really take advantage of this. I figure in the winter time this'll let me batten down the hatches nicely.

For the cons, this thing is HUGE, which can be a downside. I do a lot of backwoods, brambly, crowded-trees hanging, and I've often had to relocate from a seemingly good spot because the spread on this tarp is huge and would get snagged on nearby trees. However, if you're in the backwoods, you can often do some cool things with the guys lines to create the perfect set up. In one of the attached pics, I've got it guys up nice and high and open for a humid, drizzly/misty night.

It's not the lightest tarp you can get either, but it's a lil' more affordable than other options I've seen (admittedly, I got mine at wholesale--the perk of running a gear shop ). But still, I'd say it's worth the cost.

The best thing I could recommend is to test this thing out in your backyard/a controlled environment first to really play around with the larger size/get acquainted with it. My first time with it was in the woods in a lightning storm and I had NONE of that. Now that I've got acquainted with it, I love this thing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    tent footprint
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Images
    Oh, forgot to mention, this thing gets pretty taut very easily, which is a plus!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Dejoha had a post about this tarp:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...300#post843300

Bottom line: They changed the dimensions. My Funky Forest tarp won't work for any of dejoha's suggested configurations. Sounds like you have the later version.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    This tarp has really grown on me. My first trip out with it in the spring was not well hung but there was no precipitation so I came out dry in spite of myself. The more I have played with it since seeing Dejoha's post, the more I like the versatility of this tarp. Origami is a great description, I feel confident in the tarp keeping me dry with any hang, in any environment.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    tent footprint
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Dejoha had a post about this tarp:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...300#post843300

Bottom line: They changed the dimensions. My Funky Forest tarp won't work for any of dejoha's suggested configurations. Sounds like you have the later version.

Yeah, I never could get it like dejoha's (which I had seen a while back). I'm working on adding "doors" to it w/ another tarp one of these days--tried once, failed miserably (the joys of tarp-play!).

• + New Posts