Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    One other thing that I would check is how flat the tarp was. In certain conditions you can get condensation on any surface. On a flatish tarp the water will collect on the bottom of the belly's that form and drip off them. The answer is to pitch steeper.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    Not what you want to hear, but I always felt the stock Clark tarp is just too small, to get around the NX-250 with it's spreaders. So I use my NX-250 with the large Hennessy tarp.

I don't care what the manufacturers say, I seam seal all my tarp centerlines when I get them just in case.

I'd recommend you try to pitch your tarp by itself in your back yard when you expect rain so you can get under it and closely inspect to figure out where the rain is coming from.

If it's sideways rain coming in, then you are back to using a larger tarp with a steep pitch.

My 2 cents as an NX-250 owner.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG top and under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Good advice, right there, and something I may give a shot.
    Thanks for that idea.
    I will also give Clark a call and see what they say.
    I'll report back here.
    Thanks, guys.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by UncleClark View Post
    I'd recommend you try to pitch your tarp by itself in your back yard when you expect rain so you can get under it and closely inspect to figure out where the rain is coming from.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    First: The weather-shield has nothing to do with this. It is explicitly not a water shield.

Second: The complaint is so diffuse as to allow all manner of speculation.But, you do report that the underside of the tarp was wet, and yet haven't sent it back to Clark.

Now that you are home, did you set up the tarp, even as a bowl, with water poured into it, to see where the leak is? Seems not.

Third: I have used a Clark tarp smaller than any they currently offer, night after rainy night with an NX. Set it up right, and small has been big enough. (Who says the tarp cannot touch the hoops at the foot end with no hindrance to a good night's sleep.?)

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Hey Karl,

Not sure what the problem is... I am what I consider an experienced outdoorsman (i'm 49), and have owned my HH for about 10 years. I use a (silnylon) OES McCat Standard tarp. Had a similar experience a few months ago after 2 days of constant rain in the Adirondacks... and I had forgotten my under-shield! My tarp was leaking a bit at the ridgeline, and the rain was also bouncing up off the ground, coating my underquilt with a fine layer of sand/dirt. I was also getting a little dampness travelling down my hammock suspension lines.

Point is, there's no foolproof method for combatting 2-3 days of heavy downpour... I had dripstrings too, but eventually the rain soaked down the entire length of the line and started seeping into my hammock body fabric... nothing I could have done to stop it except getting a huge tarp, so the rain couldn't bounce. And the humidity levels were off the scale, and that can cause trouble too.

Take each piece of your "failed" gear and test it... Hang up the tarp and hit it quickly with a hose, then check for leaks, especially along the center seam (if you have one... that was one thing I REALLY liked about the stock hennessy tarp...no seam!) Then hit it with a longer burst, and keep going until you find the leak. Most probably, you'll need to seam-seal it. If it was a poly tarp, I don't know what to use. If it was silnylon, make sure the sealer is specifically for silnylon (the other kind won't stick). You can also make your own (1:3, silicone to mineral spirits).

You mentioned a "weathershield"... is this a top cover? if so, hang it like the tarp, and do the same with the hose... it might only be water-resistant. As far as your bag getting wet, most likely there was some way that the water was bypassing the shield (like around the ends of the hammock and up underneath, not through the top.) Did you have drip strings set up? They aren't going to solve the problem in a prolonged rain, but they do mitigate it, at least for a short time.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl B. Andersen View Post
    Good advice, right there, and something I may give a shot.
    Thanks for that idea.
    I will also give Clark a call and see what they say.
    I'll report back here.
    Thanks, guys.
    Karl
    Any update?

cold outside air and humid air inside- is it possible that the tarp wasn't leaking?

Hammock
    NX-150
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Z-liner/DIY baffle
    Suspension
    Whoopie All-In-One
    Last night, I spent a VERY rainy night in the Catskills. It poured for 6 solid hours, and the tarp on my NX-150 (Standard) did its job superbly. I was comfy . . . AND DRY . . . for the whole night.

As stated by others, contact Clark. They should offer some insight/suggestions/exchange . . . especially if they want to keep their good name.

Hammock
    WBRR-WBBB
    Tarp
    Cloudburst-Hanger
    Insulation
    NeoAir-Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch hook
    Karl, sure you will solve this. It's a strange event. My NX 250 with Clark XL tarp is my trusted shelter in rainy weather for years. Don't forget the cocoon mode if it is rainy and stormy at the same time. Your story sounds almost like the wind has blown the rain inside your tarp or if Clark has forgotten the seam seal the tarp?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    ...I was also getting a little dampness travelling down my hammock suspension lines. Point is, there's no foolproof method for combatting 2-3 days of heavy downpour... I had dripstrings too, but eventually the rain soaked down the entire length of the line and started seeping into my hammock body fabric... nothing I could have done to stop it except getting a huge tarp, so the rain couldn't bounce. And the humidity levels were off the scale, and that can cause trouble too.
    That's one reason I decided to break the single suspension line with a continuous loop through a descending ring in the hammock end channel and a Whoopie larksheaded to the opposite side of the ring. On my recent high lakes trip into the "clouds" using the Clark ropes and rings, the mist was blowing near horizontally overnight but the hammock, my pack and a few other things I put on a boulder below my hammock, my plastic "porch" mat, and most of the ground was completely dry under the 10x10 Vertex tarp, but I am going to seal the center seam before I go out again for some assurance.

Looking forward to hearing how the hose test works on the tarp.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 09-23-2013 at 17:56. Reason: Clarity, made perfect sense to me when I entered it :)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast