Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirePitGuy View Post
    HNO , from looking at MMs pic, it doesn't look like you were wearing any overboots. Would this have made a difference?
    Short answer, yes. My winter boots performed very well and it took a couple hours at camp for the cold to set in. If I had some camp down booties I would have been fine.

If I did not have good winter boots the Neos overshoes would be a no brainer since they would keep feet warm on trail and camp.

BTW I have heard of people wearing ankle weights just to get ready to hike with the NEOS Navigator 5's

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    This trip is going to be serious. I'm looking at my food next after footwear.

I just picked up these shoes for the trip. I certainly hope they work with a liner and a VBL. I have Katoola Microspikes on the way also.

I have a pair of those that I have had for many years..used when we were doing a lot of whitewater kayaking and breaking ice to get in the rivers during the winter months..used them with a pair of socks that were as high as the boot from Cabelas made polar fleece with silk liner sock inside..kept warm,,but..not made for hiking in,,you will poke holes in it bushwacking so better take some duc tape with you in case you do. Better yet,,I would have a backup plan packed away using them as they are pretty light weight made. I have no idea how they would work on snow and ice,,but I would think they just won't hold up over time. They darned sure won't dry rot as mine are about 18 yrs old now. Good luck on using these and keeping warm. Just like any wet suit that gets wet or damp,,your feet will eventually stink,,so when you get home from backpacking use "Sink the Stink" and soak them in a bucket of water before drying out to get rid of the foot crud and smell.
    Last edited by attroll; 01-05-2019 at 16:44.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Insulhammock
    Insulation
    gigantic beer gut
    Suspension
    Never got caught
    Well that's good to hear HNO. I've jumped on the Navigator train and also have some FF down booties. I've got chemical warmers to use just in case, but I really planned on using them to thaw out my water blatter in the event that it freezes.

As far as wearing weights, I have plenty of that on my back side...

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I have a pair of those that I have had for many years..used when we were doing a lot of whitewater kayaking and breaking ice to get in the rivers during the winter months..used them with a pair of socks that were as high as the boot from Cabelas made polar fleece with silk liner sock inside..kept warm,,but..not made for hiking in,,you will poke holes in it bushwacking so better take some duc tape with you in case you do. Better yet,,I would have a backup plan packed away using them as they are pretty light weight made. I have no idea how they would work on snow and ice,,but I would think they just won't hold up over time. They darned sure won't dry rot as mine are about 18 yrs old now. Good luck on using these and keeping warm. Just like any wet suit that gets wet or damp,,your feet will eventually stink,,so when you get home from backpacking use "Sink the Stink" and soak them in a bucket of water before drying out to get rid of the foot crud and smell.

"Sink the stink" rocks. I plan on wearing VBL, then socks, then these shoes. I will be putting superfeet insoles into the shoes for support. I would then put the microspikes on the outside for traction. I do not plan on doing bushwaking in them. Thoughts?

The problem is that I do not live where there is enough snow and cold for me to warrant having a ton of cold weather hiking gear. These will be all I have.
    Staying warm is a priority but a curiosity for me in the projected temps. I can always bail to my warm hammock, but that would only be for the first day...and...I get stir crazy.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Back on the first of Dec...I dug my pair out,,and considered taking them to the tree stand and putting them on once in the stand,,and now wished I had to test them out. Its been a long time since I whitewater kayaked with them on,,and just don't remember how much they kept me warm, as sitting in a kayak in dead winter is like placing your lower body in a freezer ,but you can't wear them around the house as my feet sweat constantly no matter what I wear so I can see me being cold feet in them after a while. I will be waiting on a report of how these work out. Good luck.

Images
    "Sink the stink" rocks. I plan on wearing VBL, then socks, then these shoes. .....
    Well, whatever temps those boots are good for( I have no idea), and assuming everything is loose enough and depending on what socks I guess, those additions should be a huge help. ( I can't get that link for the boots to work, I will google them)

EDIT: I found this, might be same boot:
    http://www.outdoorplay.com/NRS-Bound...urce=shopzilla
    NRS Boundary Neoprene Kayak Shoes - The Boundary Shoes push the limits of what a neoprene boot can do: it's a touring, canoeing and portaging dream. They are knee high, waterproof and warm. These mukluk-style boots features a high-traction sole and arch strap for secure footing. When wading is inevitable, you'll appreciate the knee-high, waterproof 5 mm neoprene upper. A comfy 7 mm insole atop a high traction rubber sole provides the protection and support you've come to expect from NRS footwear. The 2 mm plastic shim provides even more protection from sharp, pointy objects. Each shoe is individually tested to ensure it's waterproof.
    with reviews:
    [+] Write your own review

Excellent winter boot. Very warm, and the knee-high length keeps me dry while getting in & out of the boat. Comfortable support, and the strap allows them to adjust. I do with they had a draining sole, though. If water does come over the top of the boot, I have to remove them to drain the water.
    Brian Massey
    Hood River, OR

Don't believe the size chart! I wear a women's size 6 1/2, so I ordered a size 6 as per the instructions. Too small and had to send them back. The size 6 fits like a women's size 5 1/2 to 6.
    Jane
    South Carolina

Boundary Neoprene Kayak Shoes Kayaking Booties by Northwest River Supply NRS

Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-11-2014 at 14:43.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    That's them. I ordered a size 10. I wear a size 9-9.5 Hopefully that will be enough. If not Backcountry.com said I can trade them out.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    The problem is that I do not live where there is enough snow and cold for me to warrant having a ton of cold weather hiking gear. These will be all I have.
    Staying warm is a priority but a curiosity for me in the projected temps. I can always bail to my warm hammock, but that would only be for the first day...and...I get stir crazy.
    A warm hammock in camp can do much to reheat; however the hike from RHK to Overmountain won't present the same opportunities. I've backpacked in waterproof-breathable trail-runners while wearing neoprene socks in pretty cold temps and moderate snow with good luck. I've also lost feeling in my feet wearing the same gear in similar temps but deeper snow (24"- 48") on Mount Cammerer. If you have a good pair of waterproof hiking boots with enough room for your VB socks and a thick outer sock, that might work better at staying warm than neoprene. (Gaiters would also help.) Check out the temperature ratings for wetsuits and the thickness of neoprene needed. None of them go below 38 degrees F. I'd imagine you'll have hot feet at 25 F, but you probably won't have the same experience standing still at 5 F.

Don't forget conductive heat loss from the bottom of your footwear. While actually hiking, your feet will generate enough heat. However, standing around camp provides a sure pathway for the heat on your feet to traverse the bottom of your shoes.

I'm not trying to trash your footwear choice so much as save your feet, or at least prevent some misery.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Sorry I'm late on the neoprene bandwagon for this type of hiking/camping. To be quickly up front about it I'm not on the bandwagon-at all. Neoprene is great stuff but not at possible RHK temps AND terrain. I say terrain because the above listed NRS boots are not intended for hiking or walking in far at all. HNO loaned me a pair at LBL but I've had a pair for years (I just can't find them, imagine that) and on several paddle camping trips I'd had to walk a ways from kayak to campsite and they SUCK. For warmth maybe you could get a size big enough for warm socks inside but that would make them 'higher' stability wise for walking/hiking=again bad. Even higher with the inserts=worse stability.
    Not recommended.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Superfly/Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Borrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Guys, I'm still following, but as to today, it's a no go for me. BUT, if I were going I would have to buy boots, this is what I would purchase http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mukluks-N-1B...item4d16ab8b52. Mainly due to the cost and the frequency of cold weather (not) in Tennessee. My research has found these and the "Bunny Boots" to be the Go To boots for the northern hikers.

Just my 2 cents , HTH.
    So many trees, so little time!

DJ

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast