Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Bottom Insulation; Questions Unanswered? (I Think)

I've been researching insulation for my NX-250 with several HFCJH searches and reading comments from NX-250 owners who are very happy with their Yeti, Mt Washington, Phoenix, Incubator, New River, and Zeppelin UQs, and said how well they fit - usually after tucking the mounting cord into/around the pole hoops. There were also a few Z-Liner users who like them with one who added supplemental DIY pillows. But I didn't see comments that answer all of my questions. Sorting all this out is very confusing.

I really like being able to put almost of my gear into the pockets while hanging my empty backpack from the suspension for easy to access dry gear storage without having to sleep on an uncomfortable pile of stuff like I did in a tent (on snow for added insulation).

It's easy to visualize how a Z-Liner can be compressed and lose it's insulating capability by packing the pockets with too much gear. For Z-liner users, how big of an issue is that?

UQ owners, do UQs restrict the access to or volume of the pockets? And while you are answering that...
    I did not see in the threads any downside to the UQs mentioned. Is there anything that doesn't work well with your UQs on a NX-250? and...
    Synthetic vs Down - Both wet synthetic and down bags would be miserable to sleep in. However I would expect a synthetic to be much better than down when I'm hanging above the wet insulation. Has anyone had their UQ get wet while attached to the hammock under their tarp? How? How did it affect it's primary function of insulating?
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 09-06-2013 at 11:12. Reason: added a tie to UQ questions trolling for more responses

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    You nailed almost all of my questions at once. Thanks

I made some DYI pillows cut from 5cm thick foam mattresses to fit the 6 pockets. Turned out the were far too large to be anything I would use and for sleeping in the summer they were far too warm as well. I'm guessing these were larger than the Z-liners to fit the pockets, and I still had plenty of room below my pillows once inserted into the pockets. So I highly doubt that you'd run out of space even with Z-liners in them. But this is me guessing

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I've had my NX 250 for a couple of days now...slept like a baby in it last night.

I also took a chance and bought the Z liner with the 250. I slid the liners into the pockets today (not to see if worked, it was 83 in the shade this morning) but to feel the fit. They fit nice and snug, a perfect fit, keeping their full loft even when I jumped in. While in the hammock,I reached over the side, leaning out, to feel the area between the pockets. This is the area people say they have felt cold spots, but the liner was butted up tight against the the one next to it, no way cold is getting in there.

To the OPs question, there was plenty of room in the pocket for my arm when I was spreading and pushing the liner into the corners and the sides. So you could throw clothes in with the liner, but I wouldn't for the reason (compression) you mentioned. Plus a possibility of shifting the liner away from the one next to it, resulting in the dreaded cold spots that have been mentioned in previous threads. The liners are really light and I think it would be easy to make them shift. Sorry I couldn't help more with certainty in my answer, but its too hot to test right now. But I'm glad I got them, the fit is absolutely custom.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Unhappy No UQ Owner Responses?

Bump

UQs and TQs are a steep investment that I'm pretty concerned about making without a personally examining, checking fit and function. I'll ask about something else I haven't seen mentioned.

UQ owners, have you tried more than one UQ on your NX-250? What were the differences, and do you prefer fit, materials, and workmanship of one more than the other?

And while you are pondering that would you mind sharing your thoughts on...

Do UQs restrict the access to or volume of the pockets?
    I did not see in the threads any downside to the UQs mentioned. Is there anything that doesn't work well with your UQs on a NX-250?
    Has anyone had their UQ get wet while attached to the hammock under their tarp? How? How did it affect it's primary function of insulating?

Thanks in Advance! for sharing your knowledge with a former long-time ski-mountaineer but a complete noob to hanging.

I use an underquilt on my nx-150. I still put items in the pockets. it does make a little space between the uq an the bottom of the hammock but not enough to create a cold spot.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I haven't settled on a single best way to hang UQs from the NX and TX Clarks. Generally the outrigger straps or channels for the rods offer opportunities to route and attach the cords for the UQ.

But, I'm tired of excess cords, and think I will settle on buttons or snaps sewn to all the hammocks at the intersection of the hoods and the hammock bottoms.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    I got a chance to sleep in my new NX-250 this weekend. My HG Phoenix UQ worked pretty well but I did have to experiment a little with how to suspend it. Some more fiddling is going to be necessary to get things just right, but my shoes, water bottle, and book fit underneath with no cold spots or any restriction of pocket space. I think an UQ is a great option for the NX-250.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up Thanks to the Responders!

Though some of my questions remain unanswered I want to say Thanks to everyone for their responses. If anyone has any more thoughts on...
    1. UQ differences for fit, materials, and workmanship?
    2. Things that don't work well for their UQs?
    3. Has anyone had their UQ get wet while attached to the hammock under their tarp? How did it affect it's primary function of insulating?

with a Clark NX-x50 I, and I'm sure other new Clark owners would appreciate and benefit hearing from you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    In the category of "things that don't work well" I can offer this, althouth my experience is with a DIY Poncho Liner UQ.
    Using shock cord to close the gap between UQ and hammock at the ends resulted in a distortion of the hammock bed which was uncomfortable (first pic). My solution was to make the UQ longer so the 'cinch' was at the very ends of the hammock (Pic 2).
    If I were to buy a commercially made UQ, it would be a long one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts