Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Ridgerest & WM Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Recoat failed DIY Sil attempt?

Hi Everyone,

I can't say enough good things on the knowledge sharing that goes on here. It's been the primary source of information that enabled me to build both my hammock and tarp....and also my source of blame for my new hammock and DIY addiction.

I recently took both on their inaugural voyage on a 6 night wilderness trip and while it went so well I'm now a life long hanger. Unfortunately though I did have one small hitch...I found out during a monster storm on day 5 that my DIY Sil tarp is not waterproof. While a large amount of water beaded off the tarp as expected, water also penetrated the fabric all over getting everything underneath wet. Making matters worse, I forgot my back-up poly tarp and I was forced to the ground in my buddy's tent.

The waterproofing method I used was the soak in a bucket method with mineral spirits and silicone as detailed in the "make your own sil" thread. As such, I think the source of the leak may be due to the ratio of mineral spirits to silicone as I think I ended up with a 6:1 ratio when I was targeting 3:1. Possibly adding to the issue, I'm pretty sure the fabric I used was polyester garment liner ($1.00 Walmart fabric of "undetermined origin")...made for an extremely comfortable hammock, but maybe not such a great tarp...not sure?

A couple of questions for those of you who have experience in the "make your own sil" department is:
    1. Has anyone had any luck recoating DIY sil when the initial coat was not sufficient? If so, what method did you use to recoat and what ratio mineral spirits to silicone?
    2. Would using polyester vs. nylon cause any problems in waterproofing with silicone?

Any additional insight is welcomed as well.

Oh, and for those that are interested, here's my completed DIY setup on a test run on Independance Day at the in-laws.

20130704_151703.jpg
    Last edited by schaapj; 09-05-2013 at 20:49.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

DIY silicon

Same thing happened. But, I did use the 3:1 ratio, on very light nylon, almost taffeta like material. It was sprayed on with an industrial system, both sides, 4 applications. It never did resist water acceptably. I'm not sure about trying to spray more on it, as it might just peal off. Hope there might be a solution, because thus far, the tarp is really light weight.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Try hanging it tight and using a sponge to spread the mixture on. Also there is some information out there to make sure that your mixing bucket it very clean or it can cause adhesion problems.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    For all the monkeying around and added expense of diy sil, I say just buy silnylon and be assured it will work.
    While some folks have had limited success, the treatment seems doomed with technical/operator errors.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    For all the monkeying around and added expense of diy sil, I say just buy silnylon and be assured it will work.
    While some folks have had limited success, the treatment seems doomed with technical/operator errors.
    I'm still tempted, and therefore interested in input and suggestions, as there are some colors and patterns, particularly good camo, that are not available in sil.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Wish I had something to offer here, but I had excellent success with my first SIL coat - Not trying to be a smart-butt, just wondering why it works for some and not others...? I also did the dip method and really kneaded and massaged the mixture into the fabric. I then hung the tarp and used a sponge to "squeegee" the excess off. Took several days to dry completely so it wasn't still tacky, but once dry, it feels like normal fabric and has no smell. It added a bit of weight to it, but I can't say I weighed it before or after - sorry.

Here's what I suspect might be the difference: I used Taslite fabric from WallyWorld since it was cheap and I liked the camp pattern. This material took the SIL mixture well, but I've noticed on my tie-out loops where I used nylon straps, that the SIL coat peeled off the tie-outs within a few weeks. No matter as far as needing to be waterproof, just an interesting observation.

While I'm not suggesting that Taslite is the ultimate tarp fabric, (it is heavy) I think that some materials are more able to absorb the SIL mixture, while with others it just sits on the surface and then peels over time.

Just my $ .02

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Here's the thread on how I coated mine... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=taslite in case this helps to discover any difference in the methods used.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I'm still tempted, and therefore interested in input and suggestions, as there are some colors and patterns, particularly good camo, that are not available in sil.
    Very true sarge. I support the diy technique when it is the only option. CAMO

Just so many threads that have had issues with the process and then they end buying real silnylon or try to dunk the project again and again. Silicone and mineral spirits can get expensive.

For the sake of discussion, I would suggest testing small swatches of fabric. Some fabrics may absorb the solution, some may not? That may eliminate the cost of dunking an entire tarp.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW - I think you may also need to be careful about the solvent ratio. From what I know about coatings too much solvent leaves a porous coat when it dries.

I also think the massaging and squeegee are part of the process needed to work the material into the cloth. The cloth has to be open enough to accept the material. Some weaves are just too tight (I'm thinking peel ply as an example).
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Well;

Silnylon is essentially 1.1 nylon impregnated with silicon. Theorhetically, the process should work using 1.1.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast