Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images

So I finally made a bridge hammock.....

Finally tried my hand at a bridge & it seems to work really well, but I find it not as flat as I had hoped. 6" cat cut on each side. Thinking of trying again with a deeper cut! Also I started with 60" wide fabric & using 36" spreaders. Should I try a narrower starting width on the fabric? What do you suggest for an easier exit & a flatter lay. P.S. It will be a two layer like the first. 1.9oz for the top layer & 1.1oz for the bottom.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not too sure what you mean by
    not as flat as I had hoped

The 6" cut should be just fine. Going deeper isn't going to get you much except the need for longer spreader bars to compensate for a wider hammock. A deeper cut means that the hammock has to be wider to keep the center width reasonable. I have found in my experiments that a center width of approximately 32" is about the best for most people. People that have difficulty entering/exiting a Bridge usually like a center width of about 28".

How wide did you make the hammock on the ends? 36" spreaders should be good for a hammock width of approximately 48" to about 51.5". If your hammock width is greater than 51" then you will need to increase the spreader bar length. Alternatively, you can make another, narrower, Bridge. I have found that a width of 44" and a spreader bar length of 31" to 32" is optimal for everybody that has used mine. 44" end width, 6" deep cut and center width of 32" is what I have settled on and that everybody really likes the best.

If you mean from head to toe, then that is going to be determined by the length of your ridge line (either real or virtual). I refer to a ridge line here, but if you don't have one, just think instead of the distance from the tip of one suspension triangle apex to the other.

If you have a slight, or more, banana shape head to toe, then increase the length of your ridge line.

Experiment with your ridge line length.

If the ridge line length is too short, you get a banana from head to toe.

If the ridge line length is too long, you get an inverted banana with the butt higher than the head and feet.

You want the middle distance between the two extremes.

Once you find the appropriate length for you and the length of your Bridge, then you will lie flat head to toe. The exact length can vary by a few inches.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    If it does not have a ridge line shorten the suspension to take some of the sag out of the side cuts. That will raise the center section of the hammock.
    Once it is flat then measure and install a ridge line to hold that amount of sag of the hammock sides.
    If it has a ridge line make it longer and tighten the suspension to adjust.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Not too sure what you mean by .

The 6" cut should be just fine. Going deeper isn't going to get you much except the need for longer spreader bars to compensate for a wider hammock. A deeper cut means that the hammock has to be wider to keep the center width reasonable. I have found in my experiments that a center width of approximately 32" is about the best for most people. People that have difficulty entering/exiting a Bridge usually like a center width of about 28".

How wide did you make the hammock on the ends? 36" spreaders should be good for a hammock width of approximately 48" to about 51.5". If your hammock width is greater than 51" then you will need to increase the spreader bar length. Alternatively, you can make another, narrower, Bridge. I have found that a width of 44" and a spreader bar length of 31" to 32" is optimal for everybody that has used mine. 44" end width, 6" deep cut and center width of 32" is what I have settled on and that everybody really likes the best.

If you mean from head to toe, then that is going to be determined by the length of your ridge line (either real or virtual). I refer to a ridge line here, but if you don't have one, just think instead of the distance from the tip of one suspension triangle apex to the other.

If you have a slight, or more, banana shape head to toe, then increase the length of your ridge line.

Experiment with your ridge line length.

If the ridge line length is too short, you get a banana from head to toe.

If the ridge line length is too long, you get an inverted banana with the butt higher than the head and feet.

You want the middle distance between the two extremes.

Once you find the appropriate length for you and the length of your Bridge, then you will lie flat head to toe. The exact length can vary by a few inches.
    Thanks for the input! Addressed all my problems! I'll try your dimensions on the next one. I did manage to get a flat lay by lengthening the ridge line, but its a B***h to get out of, just too wide. Next one will be 48" ends instead of 58". Thanks again!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A bridge hammock can also be hung tighter than a gathered end in my experience. Many of the directions I have seen for hanging a bridge suggest the center of the hammock shoul be higher than ends. Kind of a reverse potato chip shape. that may be the same thing as lengthening the ridge line, I'm not sure. But I know I crank the suspension of my bridges tighter than I crank my gathered ends.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    Thanks for the input! Addressed all my problems! I'll try your dimensions on the next one. I did manage to get a flat lay by lengthening the ridge line, but its a B***h to get out of, just too wide. Next one will be 48" ends instead of 58". Thanks again!
    58" with 6" deep cuts. Wow - that gives you a center width of 46". That is one deep bathtub.

The first one I made was 56" wide with a 12" deep cut, so the center width was 32". I got lucky.

In my experiments on sizing, I went down to 28" center width and up to 38". 38" was way too wide for the center.

You don't have to throw away that Bridge though. Just lay it out and cut it down. You have enough fabric there to cut away excess and get a better size.

The 28" center width is good for people with disabilities in getting in and out.

I like it also for a spring/fall Bridge when I don't need bug netting. Real easy to use. With a 6" deep cut, the end width is 40" and I can use 28" spreader on the head end and 20" on the foot end. Real easy spreader length to use under tarps.

A 28" center width with a 3" deep cut gives a really small Bridge that weighs next to nothing and folds up and fits in my coat pocket. It is still uber comfortable. But it feels like you are laying on top of it instead of inside. Would not use in bug season or when top or bottom quilts are needed.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Most likely the wife will acquire it as she likes to "hide" from the animals when she sleeps outdoors. I have a ton of material in the closet so that's not a problem. Used cane as the spreaders, about to order some .625 aluminum poles from O.F. for the next one. Thanks again!

• + New Posts