Tarp
    DIY Cat cut Hex
    Insulation
    Folded PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Fronkey style modified by FireInMyBones

Hi There!

I made a Fronkey style but using the modifications that FireInMyBones shows in his video.... but I used 108" Tulle for the ridge and cut the length to whatever I feel is right (about 2 yards in the ones I made). I hemmed the ends for about 2' (once folded on the center would be 12") for a drawcord.

(This picture kind of shows the end... I really need to take better pictures.)

I used fronkeys measurement for the 20% from each end for the bottom entrance and hemmed it and installed elastic on the bottom. The gaps on the ends allow you to slide the net to one end and open it up, and the drawcord allows you to snug it down to keep the creepy crawlies out. This style does not hang down below the hammock, but hugs the bottom UQ to seal it off. His video shows it off really good.

That is my .02 worth. I really like this style and plan on making an overcover with the same design. Should work great!

HYOH!
    Jim

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    I would be stuck between a Ted bugnet and a fronkey net... I use a fronkey style now and love it but the Ted has always intrigued me...
    I like my Ted, but it is a bit bulky and heavy, at around 10oz with noseeum. Make sure to put a piece of velcro to keep the top flap in place or it will blow freely in the wind and leave the opening exposed.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

I made one similar to Droy's but I tapered the foot end of mine to the form of the hammock and left the big bass mouth on the head end to cut weight.

Use of it was actually very easy. No problems reaching from my foot end to pull it up like a pair of trousers and my arms reached over my head to cinch off the drawcord once I was in. Waking up in the middle of the night was easy getting in and out in the dark.

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Look here for SGT Rocks version. It's very light and super easy to make.
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I find that I have plenty of room using the "Fronkey" design. My latest version to cut weight, but add room actually only cuts the 20% diagonal off opposing corners to give it more of an Asymetrical feel.

I can sit in the hammock, change clothes and do just about anything I need to with the design.

I no longer eat in my hammock regularly. I find it wiser to keep food away from where I sleep. I will on occasion eat breakfast from the hammock and I have ample maneuverability in my bug net.

Let us know what you decide.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    I made a modified Fronkey, didn't cut the trap shape and used a long shock cord so I could pull it up over either end when needed. Got it out of the way for sitting.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=Fronkey
    So I made one just like that out of curtain sheers. It weighs in at 13.5 oz but the material seems very tough. I think I might actually go back and cut it to a true Fronky trapezoid shape.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    I made one similar to Droy's but I tapered the foot end of mine to the form of the hammock and left the big bass mouth on the head end to cut weight.

Use of it was actually very easy. No problems reaching from my foot end to pull it up like a pair of trousers and my arms reached over my head to cinch off the drawcord once I was in. Waking up in the middle of the night was easy getting in and out in the dark.

I'm about to DIY a bugnet myself and this is exactly what i was thinking- the best of both worlds... a hybrid of Dejoha's and Fronkey's designs. Basically a fronkey bugnet with one end not tapered and just tubbed like Dejoha's design. Keep the bottom shockcord entry as well for the ease of access and still be able to slide the net off to one side if i dont need it.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post
    I'm about to DIY a bugnet myself and this is exactly what i was thinking- the best of both worlds... a hybrid of Dejoha's and Fronkey's designs. Basically a fronkey bugnet with one end not tapered and just tubbed like Dejoha's design. Keep the bottom shockcord entry as well for the ease of access and still be able to slide the net off to one side if i dont need it.
    I was thinking about doing that, too. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketBoy View Post
    I was thinking about doing that, too. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.
    Will do. Now that I'm paying attention a bit more... Sgt Rock's deisgn mentioned above but with the fronkey bottom entry would be the design.

I was also looking at Vermont Barre's website and they have Poly Noseeum netting that's 117" wide and comes by the yard ( http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/polyester...ting-p521.aspx ). So instead of having to sew two pieces of 54" together length wise, one could just fold it in half. That would probably cut some of the weight down, though very little I'm sure, for those UL/gramweenies.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by toygun View Post
    IMHO the bottom entry is not needed. I cant imagine it being any easier to get in and out of my hammock currently. I mean with a hole in the bottom I imagine you sit off the side and put your feet through the hole then do a dance to lift the bugnet up and over your head and vice versa.

With the tube, I just undo the top draw toggle slide it down past my *** like a pair of overalls then just pivot my feet around the fabric as I swing my feet over the edge to get out. Getting back in I imagine would be less treacherous as well.

I thought it would be cumbersome, but after waking in the middle of the night to piss and having absolutely no problems while groggy and in the dark, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast