Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Ridge-line chat.

Hey Guys,

I have been making hammocks and modding them a lot, and one question that I have never really found the sweet spot for is Ridgelines. Now I have researched this a bunch, so I do not want people redirecting me, or sending me links. I am starting this thread as a place to go to talk about what has worked well for them.

Now I know the basics of hanging and all the mathematical side, 30 degrees, 83% (or close), 15 feet apart... I do understand the elements to hanging a hammock. I just want to know what has worked for you.

I have tried shorter ridgelines, longer, and having none. I personally enjoy having none, or a bit longer then what most do.

Any pros to having a RL over having none if I know how to hang the hammock correctly?

Anyone experimented with RL and found something that works great for them?

If ridgeline is too tight what could be the cause. (I presume the hang distance is too far, and low, hence the tightness.)

Are RL really all they are cut out to be if you know how to hang a hammock? (Besides hanging things on them)

Share your experiences, and tips with us here.

Cheers,

Ghillieshot

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I like a ridgeline because it reduces fiddle, and isolates the hammock sag from the hang angle.

Ridgeline tightness is a product of hang angle. Lower hang angle = more force along the ridge line. I use dynaglide or amsteel for my ridgelines and don't worry about tightness. Dynaglide is the lightest typical material for a ridgeline - and has 1000lb breaking strength.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I do like a ridgeline, I can throw my hammock up and it's right where I need it. I do have an adjustable one that way I can let it out or take it in if the need arises.

Also, I use it to help keep things at close reach that I need while laying in my hammock. I also throw socks and whatever I have that needs to dry. If staying in camp for a few days I like to pull my tarp back during the day and I hang my TQ over my RL inside out to air it out and allow to dry if need be.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Ridgeline keeps the bugnet/winter sock off my face. I also like my ridgeline longer than the 83%.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Best thing I ever did was make an adjustable ridgeline. I learned alot from it.
    The longer I made my ridgeline, the less diagonal lay I could have. This had a positive effect and a negative effect. Positive is it makes your body more straight which should make it easier to get an UQ adjusted correctly but the negative effect was my hammock length increased. It seemed to increase shoulder squeeze also but I will have to play around with it more to be sure. I also tried shortening my RL down to 75% and which made the hammock hang pretty low and increased the pitch along the lateral axis for diagonal lay.
    Another thing I noticed that hammocks of certain length need a certain ridgeline length compared to others. Basically I wouldn't use the same % for RL length on a 11' hammock with a width of 64" as I would for a hammock with a 10' length and a width of 60". It varies significantly. Once I am done with this next hammock, I will play around with the ARL more and report my findings.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I only know a ridgeline. It's value seems logical and effective for me. Eventually I'll experiment, but for now, thanks for starting something that should keep me reading and thinking.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I love my ridgeline. It keeps my bugnet up, my hammock sock up, supports my ridgeline organizer, holds my hammock light and more, and gives me a pretty consistent, quick hang every time. I have found that I do like mine a little long on some hammocks and shorter on others, but I most certainly want it there.

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!

Ridge-line chat.

I myself love having an adjustable ridgeline. Its possible that I don't know what exactly I am doing, but I seem to adjust mine a little here and there depending on how I am feeling, and what trees are available. Most of all I like my RL for keeping my watch (alarm) and my headlamp within quick reach.

I have found that generally I like my RL a bit longer tha the 83% starting out point, but that percentage is great place to start initially with the length.

I have never used a fixed RL because it just makes sense to me to have some sort of adjustability. I have used my hammock without a RL and found it to be difficult to get a consistent comfortable hang. At least with the ARL I am always within a couple inches.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I like them because it keeps the bug net off my face... I gave been really happy with 83% or however close I get when trying to get 83%... To each their own... I just make all mine fixed now as I never changed any of the ones I made adjustable...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

good info in here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast