Hammock
    WB BlackBird XLS
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Incu 20, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, TI hooks
    I have yet to use a quilt so I can't really chime in on that, however I have an REI Radiant 20F bag and it has always kept me very warm even down to 15F. And as they say, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Hammock
    11' single layer Hammeck
    Suspension
    whoopies FTW!
    Holy cow!! I just had a revelatory moment... I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner... you mean to tell me y'all use these top quilts INSTEAD if a sleeping bag? And all this time I thought a top quilt was like a top cover that you crazy yank's use in ADDITION to a sleeping bag when you're camping in that frozen white stuff. Oh man, I gotta look in to this more seriously now... if I could lose the sleeping bag and the associated bunny hop or 5 minute wrestling match to get comfy... WOW! I'm such an uber-noob, I swear...

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
    Holy cow!! I just had a revelatory moment... I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner... you mean to tell me y'all use these top quilts INSTEAD if a sleeping bag? And all this time I thought a top quilt was like a top cover that you crazy yank's use in ADDITION to a sleeping bag when you're camping in that frozen white stuff. Oh man, I gotta look in to this more seriously now... if I could lose the sleeping bag and the associated bunny hop or 5 minute wrestling match to get comfy... WOW! I'm such an uber-noob, I swear...
    Even the last few times that I slept in a tent I used my top quilt instead of my sleeping bag; warm and cozy.

That said, I want to clarify that after that experience I built myself a hammock stand for when I'm in an area without trees.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    I'm really struggling with my sleeping bag in my hammock, but I'm going to continue to TRY to use it for a while before looking at top quilts. I hope.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Just acquired my first set of quilts (top and under) from UGQ in December, 2013, and just acquired my first hammock (WWBB) in November, 2013. Had only used a sleeping bag and tent prior. I've slept in my hammock with my quilts a dozen times or so, so far, and can honestly say I will never go back to a tent/sleeping bag as a first choice.

Truth is, I've never really liked the restrictiveness I feel when using sleeping bags. Whenever I would go car camping, I would always bring blankets along, limiting my sleeping bag for backpacking use only. Now, any future car camping using a tent and I'll bringing my quilts instead; that is, of course, only when I can't hang : )

I have a friend with whom I backpack often and he loves his tight, small, mummy bag...the tighter he can seal himself up the more he likes it...to each his own.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm really trying hard to talk myself into trying a top quilt. I have no problem with my sleeping bag, but when it gets warmer at night, maybe around 45-50° for a low, it's overkill. I think it would be great to cut some bulk too.

The problem is, my sleeping bag hood makes the BEST pillow. So with a top quilt I will lose this. I don't want to pack a pillow separate. And extra clothes NEVER works for me as a pillow.

I also find my sleeping bag eliminates any calf ridge issues, so that's something I'll need to test first-hand.

I just received $100 as a gift from my company, so that would put a nice dent in the cost of a new TQ.

I guess I can try it and sell it here for close to the purchase price...trying to decide...

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ospreydog View Post
    I'm really struggling with my sleeping bag in my hammock, but I'm going to continue to TRY to use it for a while before looking at top quilts. I hope.
    just try one time not zipping it up

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MamaJamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have three great sleeping bags and zero quilts. Sleeping bags win!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    John Muir

http://youtu.be/jVjaq89-6I0

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    There's always this option...

thats a selk bag. they are pretty expensive, and are a bit chilly on cold nights. i personally have one, and they do work great in a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobertson View Post
    thats a selk bag. they are pretty expensive, and are a bit chilly on cold nights. i personally have one, and they do work great in a hammock.

Agreed.

My selk is awesome BUT I did run into a cold night and since then I have taken an extra layer camping just to be safe.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678