Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT in 2021 :)

zzman

AT in 2021 :)

Hi all. Total noob here. I've done a very small amount of backpacking, but a fair bit of sleeping outside. I'm in the Army, so "the field" is not exactly camping, but has similarities.

Anyway, I've always been interested in doing some more backpacking and am intrigued by hammocks. I am also an obsessive researcher so have a good idea what I'd like to try. (WBBB, gossamer gear 1/4", maybe the mamajama tarp, wondering if I can do w/o the UQ since I'm looking to make AT thru hike the goal. Winter camping does not appeal to me now).

The AT thru at 2021 has to do with my expected retirement date. I plan to add some stuff here and there and get out as much as the wife allows. That ain't much But I have pre-negotiated the thru

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Doing the AT with a hammock is defiantly doable. I did it in 2010.

zzman
    Oh, forgot to mention, I'm in Monterey, CA right now for a little bit longer. I expect to PCS to Omaha NE about May 14. One daughter, age 18 months and another girl on the way in DEC. I'm 44, so some might think that a late start. As alluded before, the wife has zero interest in backpacking and the kids are obviously too young. That is my biggest challenge now.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    You could take a 3/4 UQ and foot pad and get by,,some of the 3/4 quilts only weigh starting out at 10oz or so,,with all the new fabrics,,send emails to some of the suppliers and see how little a UQ will weigh. But I think if you use a hammock,,below 60,,you might find out the need for a UQ or a pad if you choose a 2 layer hammock.

zzman
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Doing the AT with a hammock is defiantly doable. I did it in 2010.
    thanks for the reply

What was your bottom insulation? I'm curious if a 1/4" wide pad (like Gossamer Gears) will do it in the colder times if you're willing to supplement with clothes and/or a hot water bottle.

zzman
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    You could take a 3/4 UQ and foot pad and get by,,some of the 3/4 quilts only weigh starting out at 10oz or so,,with all the new fabrics,,send emails to some of the suppliers and see how little a UQ will weigh. But I think if you use a hammock,,below 60,,you might find out the need for a UQ.
    From what I've read, I'm pretty sure this is solid advice. I was just hoping a pad only option would give me the "go to ground" capability for the shelters if a heavy rain is bumming me out.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You will need some kind of bottom insulation for at least part of your AT Thru. Depending on a few personal variables, hammocks start getting uncomfortably cold at around 70*---and night time temps for a good portion of the trail will see temps at and lower than that.

We had a hang down here in Texas in July. Daytime temps were in the low 90s, night time temps in low 70s to high 60s. Most of the folks who attended used a pad or a UQ at night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zzman View Post
    thanks for the reply

What was your bottom insulation? I'm curious if a 1/4" wide pad (like Gossamer Gears) will do it in the colder times if you're willing to supplement with clothes and/or a hot water bottle.
    I used a WBBB for my hammock.
    One thing to keep in mind is that it depends on when you start and every year the weather is different.
    I started on 19 March in 2010. I started out with two pieces of bottom insulation.

Two lb-density Crosslinked Polyethylene CCF Pad
    Used during the cold weather under my sleeping bag or when sleeping in the shelters.
    Weight: 12 oz

Winter Yeti from Warbonnet
    Weight: 18.5 oz

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Keep your eyes open on the for sale thread, you can pick up a DIY poncho liner under quilt for 30 to 40 dollars (or if you have the skills make one yourself). I picked one up myself to use for the summertime a few weeks back. I have only used it once but it worked for an overnight low of 68. If you already have a pad that should work but I don't have any experience with those.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome from Fla! Many of us have hiked on the AT when getting out of the Service. Enjoy!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast