DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Clark Drip Rings with 7/64 Amsteel

Has anyone used the clark drip rings with 7/64 amsteel whoopies? Tying a knot in Amsteel or any cordage cuts its ultimate strength by a good bit. However the drip rings are a lot less abusive to the cord than tying a knot.

Has anyone had extensive experience using the clark rings as instructed by Clark except with whoopies instead of the stock ropes. My gut feeling is that they would be fine since there are no sharp edges on the rings and they actually have an increased radius at all the contact points.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I haven't tried it yet but I also don't think that just looping the Amsteel through the Clark drip rings that have rounded edges and loading is going to cause significant weakness or wear.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 09-03-2013 at 22:33.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I don't think so either, but I took a scrap piece of amsteel and put it through the drip rings and pulled it as hard as i could and it completely flattened out at all the contact points. Fully loaded with a few hundred pounds of load might do some damage. Maybe there's someone who uses them with whoopsies who can give for sure answer.

They sent me a set with my hammy but I have not tried them yet. I honestly have never needed drip rings or drip lines and I have been is some pretty heavy storms.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I had some time to look this up and found the following: Page 6 of Samson Rope's technical reference guide for Amsteel indicates that if the rope is bent around a surface the diameter of the surface edge should be AT LEAST 3 times the rope diameter and preferably 4 times the diameter. I would estimate the diameter of the rolled edge on the clark drip rings to be 1.5 to 2 times which is too small.

That said, I believe the small edge diameter of the Clark drip rings would just result in more rapid wear of the rope. Amsteel has amazing strength properties but it is subject to wear via abrasion. Everyone should inspect their whoopies from time to time for signs of wear. The same Samson Tech guide gives some info about typical wear and how to spot it.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I went and installed smc rings on the fixed loop end of my whoopies when i made them,they act as a good drip ring and are a good size while being very light, i also made a continuos loop onto the smc ring and larkshead it thru the chennel of the hammock,

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saedy View Post
    I went and installed smc rings on the fixed loop end of my whoopies when i made them,they act as a good drip ring and are a good size while being very light, i also made a continuos loop onto the smc ring and larkshead it thru the chennel of the hammock,
    I did something similar... have the rings installed in the continuous loops, larks head the loops into the hammock channels, then larks head the whoopie fixed loops onto the opposite side of the rings so I have the option of using just the whoopies.

• + New Posts