Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images

WTB: Sewing service

I am looking to make a ripstop hammock for myself, but all the ripstop I can find does not come pre-hemmed. I do not have a thread injector, and my hand stitching looks like it was done by a drunk gorilla with no thumbs. If anyone is willing, shoot me a pm and we can work out the details

Or if it would be easier to find a tailor and take it to them? I would just worry that they wouldn't use strong enough thread.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Unless you are building a prototype for a 'new' design, why not just buy a hammock from one of the (cottage) vendors here?
    It would be cheaper than paying retail for materials + labor for sewing.
    Or go the tablecloth route...
    Or...

Or, 'man up' and pick up a free/cheap sewing machine on CL and DIY (just joking...)

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Diy gear supply has their 2nds of ripstop for dirt cheap, so even after paying to have it hemmed it will come out quite a bit cheaper than one of the vendors' hammocks, even the bias stuff at only 47.95. I have definitely been looking on craigslist for a decent sewing machine, but everyone in my local listings is throwing the words "vintage" or "antique" in their ad to try and charge an arm and a leg

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I also already made a tablecloth hammock, just looking to go lighter!

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Sorry to pull your thread off topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I have definitely been looking on craigslist for a decent sewing machine, but everyone in my local listings is throwing the words "vintage" or "antique" in their ad to try and charge an arm and a leg
    Keep looking on CL and similar, also Goodwill-type places and garage/yard sales. It's the same 'up here' in BC - if you are looking for a clapped-out old Singer with a million miles of stitching on it, sellers expect ridiculous ($200?? gimme a break!!) amounts of money.
    OTOH, very decent machines from the 60s and 70s are going for little. I picked up a very nice Elna for $40 the other day, and I see Japanese machines from the 50s-60s going for less at garage sales and in the 'Free' listings.
    Keep looking on CL and similar, also Goodwill-type places and garage/yard sales. As others have mentioned, putting the word out among relatives and co-workers may turn up a free machine (and even a free lesson).

About the 'something lighter' hammock -
    For a wiry, marathon runner kinda thru-hiker, it makes sense. It's a lot cheaper and easier for me to just lose a pound or two of flab - less to carry in either case!

Back to the topic.....

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Not off-topic at all, advice was exactly what I was asking for also, thanks to everyone who sent me a pm, it looks like I have gotten it worked out!

Also, I may have solved the machine problem, as well, depending on if my grandmother's old sewing machine is still in storage and not been thrown out, as I thought previously. If it has been thrown out, back to craigslist!

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I just picked one of these up: http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Janome...VVviewprod.htm

It does everything you'll need a machine to do for DIY gear making, and has great reviews. I'm not 100% sure (haven't tried to open it up yet), but it may even have metal gears vs nylon. I know the bobbin case and mechanism is all metal. I was using a borrowed Pfaff Hobbymatic 935 before this, and honestly, I can't tell the difference, except for lack of dual feed.

Also, if you really need hemming service PM me. I'll hem a 1/4" rolled hem on all 4 sides of a blank for you for 15$ - should cover pp + shipping and maybe a little bit for my time. I'll even heat-cut the fabric to length if you have the raw material sent to me.

• + New Posts