Thread: Too short?

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys

Too short?

I tried searching this but have come up short so I have decided to ask. I have been on a DIY hammock spree to find one I can get comfortable in. I stopped by my local fabric store and picked up some ripstop nylon, 10.5ft. I have yet to hem it but did a test hang with the ends whipped and I am thinking it might be too short. I'm 6ft exactly and am going by the Just Jeff's instructions for a DIY hammock. What is the sweet spot length for a 6 foot tall person?

Thanks for the help!
    Dev

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Too short?

If you hem it, you'll end up with a 10' hammock. Depending on how wide your fabric is, that may be comfortable for you. Whipping probably made it shorter than 10'. A comfortable lay is dependent on length, width and fabric type. Everyone is different. My first hammock was a DIY ripstop and is probably a little more than 9' long by 64" wide. At 5'2", I never could get comfortable in it. I first had whipped it and after one trip, I unwhipped it and sewed channels. That definitely improved the feel making it more open. Since you have the material, I'd suggest going ahead and making 3" hems in the ends and trying it out. If you don't like it, you could pass it on to someone else who is smaller than you, or use the material for something else. You'd only be losing a foot of material even if you ended up not using the hemed ends in another project.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

My hammock is around 10.5' long and 58" wide after channels and hems. I do find it very comfortable but I had one the same length but 66" wide before and I do feel it was just a little more comfortable for me (6'3") ridgeline length is also a factor, my wider one was better with the ridgeline around 78% and my narrower one is at 85%.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys

Too short?

Thanks for the help. Mine is 59" wide and I think I am going to try sewn channels to see if I can get a better lay.
    "It’s a dangerous business, walking out one’s front door" – Gandalf

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys
    I think I just found the issue. I went to measure the length of ripstop this morning to double check it was 10.5ft well it was only 8ft and some change. No wonder it felt so tiny.

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Yeah, that is way small. You can use the material for other projects or make a hammock for a lucky young hanger. :-)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Now, the big question...did you pay for 8 feet or 10.5 feet of fabric? It's not like you can pull out your "fabric stretcher" and make it the right length.

I've made two of the tablecloth hammocks from the 126" blanks with a gathered end (dental floss whipping, cable tie backup) and just larks headed the suspension in place. Cheap, easy and worked like a champ. Plenty of room for my 6' frame.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River &amp; Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Definitely personal preference. I'm only 5'6" but I much prefer my 9' hammock though I bet that 8' feels really short.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev View Post
    I tried searching this but have come up short so I have decided to ask. I have been on a DIY hammock spree to find one I can get comfortable in. I stopped by my local fabric store and picked up some ripstop nylon, 10.5ft. I have yet to hem it but did a test hang with the ends whipped and I am thinking it might be too short. I'm 6ft exactly and am going by the Just Jeff's instructions for a DIY hammock. What is the sweet spot length for a 6 foot tall person?

Thanks for the help!
    Dev
    Are you using a ridgeline? If so what is the length of the ridgeline and the exact length of the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Yeah, that is way small. You can use the material for other projects or make a hammock for a lucky young hanger. :-)
    Luckily I was able to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Now, the big question...did you pay for 8 feet or 10.5 feet of fabric? It's not like you can pull out your "fabric stretcher" and make it the right length.

I've made two of the tablecloth hammocks from the 126" blanks with a gathered end (dental floss whipping, cable tie backup) and just larks headed the suspension in place. Cheap, easy and worked like a champ. Plenty of room for my 6' frame.
    I went to check the receipt I was charged for the 8ft instead of 10.5. When I returned it I noticed I had chosen sport nylon instead of ripstop so good thing the length was wrong. I also have a tablecloth great for the price but I'm not immune to the DIY bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
    Definitely personal preference. I'm only 5'6" but I much prefer my 9' hammock though I bet that 8' feels really short.
    Oh yeah I tested it and my feet were a couple inches from the whipping when laying on a diagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Are you using a ridgeline? If so what is the length of the ridgeline and the exact length of the hammock.
    I have been doing 83% of the hammock length for my ridgeline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast