Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi

Still looking for an underquilt... and a question

Hey everyone, Im still deciding on a UQ for my set up and really like the look of the Incubator by Hammock gear, However, in the picture... it looks as though the lower leg and foot portion have less fill as the rest of the quilt. Would this be correct? If so.... why? Would they be able to make it so theres equal fill all the way through?... Thanks for any and all responses.....Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    That is correct. There is less fill in the lower extremities. It is done to reduce the weight because you do not need as much insulation down there. If you keep your core warm, and you have good circulation, you will stay warm all over. Or at least that's how I understand it. It's the same reason, you see 3/4 length underquilts, pads, etc.

- Chad

Images
    Most warmth for your feet comes from the TQ.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Most warmth for your feet comes from the TQ.

Yes, after thinking about it,,,, that does make sense... thank you all for the information

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    Hey everyone, Im still deciding on a UQ for my set up and really like the look of the Incubator by Hammock gear, However, in the picture... it looks as though the lower leg and foot portion have less fill as the rest of the quilt. Would this be correct? If so.... why? Would they be able to make it so theres equal fill all the way through?... Thanks for any and all responses.....Chris
    Hi Chris,

I just caught this.

I just want everyone to be clear that there is only less fill in the leg area because the Incubator the WIDTH is tapered in the leg portion. Thi is because legs are...well, skinner than most of the rest of the body. However, please note that the baffle height, or thickness of the quilt, is THE SAME HEIGHT (or thickness) as the rest of the quilt. It does not have less loft. It only appears that it is more shallow because of the way we shape the inner shell.

Think of it like this...The outer shell looks like it is lifted up (or closer to the hammock) in the leg area because that is where the INNER shell is being lifted up too. Looking at the installed quilt from the outside, the transition can be a little misleading. The inner shell is shaped like this so that it stays in contact with your legs. Most quilts are shaped the same at the head and foot end, much like most gathered end hammocks. Ours are not. We understand that people are not shaped like hammocks and that a person's torso and knees bend in opposite directions. So the torso section of the quilt is shaped accordingly and the leg section of the quilt is shaped more like a flat shelf. The contoured effect is more striking when the hammock is not loaded.

I am sure my description is about as clear as mud, and I am working on some drawings that will better illustrate the concept. They are also part of the patent process. . If you need a bit more clarification, let me know and I will see what I can do. Thanks!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Still looking for an underquilt... and a question

@Stormcrow - Thanks for the response. It cleared up a misconception I had about your quilts as well. It also made a lot of sense.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Think of it like this...The outer shell looks like it is lifted up (or closer to the hammock) in the leg area because that is where the INNER shell is being lifted up too. Looking at the installed quilt from the outside, the transition can be a little misleading. The inner shell is shaped like this so that it stays in contact with your legs. Most quilts are shaped the same at the head and foot end, much like most gathered end hammocks. Ours are not. We understand that people are not shaped like hammocks and that a person's torso and knees bend in opposite directions. So the torso section of the quilt is shaped accordingly and the leg section of the quilt is shaped more like a flat shelf. The contoured effect is more striking when the hammock is not loaded.
    NEAT!!! Makes me feel good about the way I contoured my two DIY UQs. As a total down quilt novice, I just did what I thought was right, but didn't have much to back me up. My wife and daughter were my "dummies" and I put in darts wherever the darts pulled the UQs up snug from head to toe. Nice to hear an actual "manufacturer" goes to similar lengths to contour to the human body. Thanks!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    ... still deciding on a UQ for my set up and really like the look of the Incubator by Hammock gear...
    Looks good...Feels GREAT!!!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Love the Incubator! What I like about the foot area is that mine comes up high enough that it's actually wrapping around my toes...such a great warm feeling on those cold nights!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hi Chris,

I just caught this.

I just want everyone to be clear that there is only less fill in the leg area because the Incubator the WIDTH is tapered in the leg portion. Thi is because legs are...well, skinner than most of the rest of the body. However, please note that the baffle height, or thickness of the quilt, is THE SAME HEIGHT (or thickness) as the rest of the quilt. It does not have less loft. It only appears that it is more shallow because of the way we shape the inner shell.

I am sure my description is about as clear as mud, and I am working on some drawings that will better illustrate the concept. They are also part of the patent process. . If you need a bit more clarification, let me know and I will see what I can do. Thanks!

~Stormcrow

Hi Stormcrow, Thank you for taking time out to answer my question..... so now its just save, save, save... then Ill be placing an order with you..... thanks again........Chris

• + New Posts