Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Pennsylvania Furnace, PA (near State College)
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Local outfitter trying to convince me to Go to Ground

Even though I actually bought my hammock from them, my local outfitters were trying to sell me on "going to ground" now that the nights are dipping down to the 40s here in central PA. Why would they do that? I was just starting to feel comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a hammock, no matter what the weather.

I'm really reluctant to go to ground since I just started my obsession with hammock-camping. That is why I was in the store checking out the Grand Trunk Hammock Sleeping Bag. After reading reviews, I'm not going to buy the Grand Trunk - too many issues. However, I still need to figure out how I'm going to stay warm over the cold nights.

I'm an ultralight hiker/trail runner, so weight means a lot to me. I'm still putting together my kit and haven't even spent a night in the woods with my ENO Doublenest, but I have slept outside in it in warmer weather and loved it.

I'm a real Noob, but willing to try anything. So... how do I keep my butt warm when I'm out in the woods and the temp drops to the low 40s? I was just about to spring for a sleeping bag with a 40 degree rating (a Koppen Viggo for just $60 at ****'s), when the outfitter threw all kinds of doubt into my mind about whether I would be comfortable in a hammock (or even able to sleep, given the way they put it).

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: Local outfitter trying to convince me to Go to Ground

Sleeping in a hammock is not much different than ground. To stay warm you need insulation, both top and bottom. On the ground that's a pad and sleeping bag/quilt. In a hammock its a pad/under quilt and a sleeping bag/top quilt.

With properly rated insulation I feel warmer in my hammock than on the ground. YMMV.

A 4 season tarp to block the wind can help a lot too.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Try an Underquilt!
    And a top quilt too!
    Most who try those with a camping hammock prefer them...
    ...And, maybe just ignore the unenlightened or take the ground dwellers with you when you hang in the piney woods. :-) They will figure it out after a few trips.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Hi Joe,

Spend a little time looking through this forum, and you'll find that you can be comfortable in a hammock down through sub-zero temps.

The basic concept is the same as camping on the ground: you need to insulate yourself from the coldness on both your top and bottom. On the ground, that usually means using an insulated sleeping pad for your backside, and a sleeping bag for your topside.

In a hammock, it only changes slightly. It can mean either a sleeping pad or underquilt for your backside, and either a topquilt or sleeping bag for your topside. For lowest cost: use your ground setup of pad & bag. For greatest comfort: underquilt & topquilt. (It's all arguable, so these are generalities.)

For lightest weight, it's going to be a balance and probably a compromise or two depending on your budget.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    If they get you buying both for hammocks and tenting you'll buy more gear to thier benefit, I'd say....Keeping yourself warmer in lower temps is under insulation with under quilts or a much cheaper option camp rests or foam pads. Plenty of info all over this place about either option. Sounds like you're plenty comfortable in a hammock so I wouldn't let sales people talk you out of it because of temperature changes..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In terms of sleeping in a hammock in cold weather, I've been down to -22*F comfortably. It's all about having the right equipment. If you have the money, a proper top and bottom quilt with the appropriate amount of down for the temperatures you'll be encountering will keep you warm. Also consider a lighter hammock and suspension like a BIAS weight weenie micro with whoopie slings since you are an ultralighter. It's probably around half the weight of the ENO and atlas straps and much less bulky.
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-27-2013 at 12:29.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    Hi Joe,

Spend a little time looking through this forum, and you'll find that you can be comfortable in a hammock down through sub-zero temps.

The basic concept is the same as camping on the ground: you need to insulate yourself from the coldness on both your top and bottom. On the ground, that usually means using an insulated sleeping pad for your backside, and a sleeping bag for your topside.

In a hammock, it only changes slightly. It can mean either a sleeping pad or underquilt for your backside, and either a topquilt or sleeping bag for your topside. For lowest cost: use your ground setup of pad & bag. For greatest comfort: underquilt & topquilt. (It's all arguable, so these are generalities.)

For lightest weight, it's going to be a balance and probably a compromise or two depending on your budget.

Good luck!

+1 great advice from RootCause. Also check out Shug's Hammocking Videos for Noobs - they will help provide information to get you the right path quick
    Last edited by Black Foot; 08-27-2013 at 12:22.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most outfitters just haven't caught on to hammock camping. If they had, you could walk into a store and buy a TQ/UQ, tarp, suspension systems, etc. They don't know anything about hammock camping so they start talking about what they do know: ground dwelling and all the cool ground dweller gear they have.

You're definitely taking the road less travelled when you start hammock camping. It's not a brick and mortar type hobby where you can walk in and talk to a salesman who will hook you up with all you need. The only hammocks I've ever seen for sale in a store are Hennessy and ENO, but our cottage vendors offer so much more.

With the exception of a Byer Moskito hammock I got from EMS, every other piece of gear I've purchased was through the Internet, based on recommendations I've found on this forum. This is very hard for the touchy-feely types who would like to actually see and try out what they're buying before plunking down their money. There's no instant gratification with hammock camping.

This is why you see so many "Just placed my order! Now the wait begins!" threads. Hang in there, though, and you will soon be a hammock ninja!

But you still have to find a level spot, no rocks and get out of a tent when nature calls and back in.......not me my friend

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    If for no other reason, comfort is why I would never go back to ground. I can't imagine sleeping on the ground now. Study this site a bit and you will find a way.

When I am out of doors, a good night of rest is invaluable to the quality of my experience as well as contributing to my safety, well being, and good judgement.

Best to you.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast