WB Traveler, WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Bur,WB Lynx
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I only started hanging this past winter(was always a ground dweller before). In fact, it was my first time winter camping also(Thanks RKP for that!). Now I'm hooked and will never, ever, go back to sleeping on the ground or camping in hot, humid and buggy weather again!!! It's late/end of summer(after the humidity breaks) to early summer(before the humidity starts again) for me!! Winter camping is awesome!!

Viva la Hang!! Viva la Winter Camping!!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    If you go with underquilts, you'll also need to determine whether to get 3/4 or full length ones. Since weight seems to be a concern for you, 3/4 may be the way to go. You can then supplement that with a small pad that will fit in the footbox of your TQ.
    Last edited by TallPaul; 08-27-2013 at 21:03.

Pennsylvania Furnace, PA (near State College)
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Wow! I'm so glad I took the time to post this question. What an awesome group of people. Thanks for all the advice and resources. The Shug videos are awesome. I'm back to my original excitement about hammock camping and was even just explaining the benefits to my daughter, like being able to sleep on a rocky incline or even above a stream, if necessary. This even got her excited about the idea of hammock-camping. The outfitter really had me doubting my choice to buy the hammock for a minute there. You have restored my faith!

I'm going to look over all of this information and will probably go with a cheap foam pad temporarily until I figure out what kind of under quilt will work best for my needs (and budget).

Thank you, everyone. I'm really so happy I discovered this forum.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    The difference between sleeping on the ground vs a hammock for me is that I look forward to going to sleep in a hammock. On the ground I always wonder if Im tired enough to fall a sleep quickly...In a hammock it doesn't matter...
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    OK folks, it's time for a bit of a reality check. I carry the same equipment, tarp and hammock. There are times when you actually have to go to the ground. I unfortunately had to do so when I got caught in the dark and could not go any farther. I'm glad I didn't since there were some huge boulders to climb over. The area had a fire and the trees were all charred and I found a spot that was fine. Some I moved away from since they could be widow makers.The same tarp and pad can be used on the ground. The prusik works fine as a tarp tightener as well. The UQ can be used as a top. Sometimes you have to do this. I don't believe anyone else would want to share that.

You can never say never again because you might be caught in a situation that requires this.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    OK folks, it's time for a bit of a reality check. I carry the same equipment, tarp and hammock. There are times when you actually have to go to the ground. I unfortunately had to do so when I got caught in the dark and could not go any farther. I'm glad I didn't since there were some huge boulders to climb over. The area had a fire and the trees were all charred and I found a spot that was fine. Some I moved away from since they could be widow makers.The same tarp and pad can be used on the ground. The prusik works fine as a tarp tightener as well. The UQ can be used as a top. Sometimes you have to do this. I don't believe anyone else would want to share that.

You can never say never again because you might be caught in a situation that requires this.
    This is very true. And a tent cannot say the same in reverse.

A lot of hammock hikers carry a tyvek ground sheet for just such an occasion. And it can be used above tree line as well.

There are many threads about this with some very cool pictures. I like the beach pics the best.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    This is very true. And a tent cannot say the same in reverse.

A lot of hammock hikers carry a tyvek ground sheet for just such an occasion. And it can be used above tree line as well.

There are many threads about this with some very cool pictures. I like the beach pics the best.
    Zackly.

A hammock set up makes a pretty good emergency tent if you find the only campsite is one without trees, but a tent will never make a good emergency hammock when you find the only campsite is on a steep incline or a rocky field.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Joe - The pad is a viable option for you at this stage. Just remember to bring an extra length of about 36-40" of ccf (CLOSED CELL FOAM)to put across under your shoulders.
    Search for pad extender or SPE(Spear Pad Extender) here on the board. The pads will be put in a cross pattern long ones under your body head to toe and short one to wrap around the upper back and shoulders.

HINT: If you have a Big Agnes sleeping bag, the ccf pad fits fine in the pad sleeve.
    closed cell foam sleeping pads 20-24" wide are available at Wally world, ****'s, BassPro, even Sears, I think.
    Cost - $3-10 or so. Not very heavy, but bulky and non-compressable.
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 08-30-2013 at 14:04.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Like a previous poster stated they usually have some modest hammock gear. Usually just a hammock; no suspensions, no UQ etc.

The cool thing is after 6 months on here, I could walk in the same store, look at their "hammock" section and realize I had good hammock gear at home 75% of which I made myself.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Local outfitter trying to convince me to Go to Ground

+1 for never going to ground again

If a person is trying to talk you into a tent, ask them how many nights they have spent in a hammock. Then come back to this forum and ask more questions of the friendly folks here!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast