Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Have you looked at these videos? https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ewtag&tag=shug

Lots of information on dealing with the cold.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    If for no other reason, comfort is why I would never go back to ground. I can't imagine sleeping on the ground now. Study this site a bit and you will find a way.

When I am out of doors, a good night of rest is invaluable to the quality of my experience as well as contributing to my safety, well being, and good judgement.

Best to you.
    +1 never going back

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Resist you much the urge to go to ground.

The limitations it puts on your for choice of camp site might actually end up making you colder.

A nice level piece of ground exposed to wind, or hanging between two trees on an incline shielded from the wind by a boulder?

Waking up in the morning after a night time rain that has seeped in under your tent sucking up all the heat or even leaking into it soaking your sleep gear, or suspended above the wetness warmly coccooned in downy goodness that's like a warm hug from your mamma?

Pulling your tent out of your pack exposing the contents and then trying to set it up in a driving rain without getting any of the inside wet, or pulling your tarp out of a side pocket and setting it up before opening your pack?

You decide.

The hammock will actually allow you to maximize the terrain to protect you from cold, especially rain runoff and winds. You can camp almost anywhere out of the wind and off of the wet and everything you own but your tarp will stay dry.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I have a goal in life, to never sleep on the ground again. Once you figure out how to stay warm (this site has TONS of great info), you will never go back to ground again. I started off the inexpensive way with a blue foam mat. I have since upgraded to an UQ. Either one can work fine. The UQ is so much more comfy though. Love that downy goodness!

i 2nd what others have already said. hammocks are not well known, you wont find out about them in a sporting goods store.
    most sellers hear about sleeping in hammocks and imagine you sleeping in the net hammock out at the beach.
    and watching youtube videos on winter hammock camping (especially shugemery channel) and you will see how people commonly sleep in minus 20s without being cold.
    good luck

Well, if nothing else you found out a source of bad advise. His motivation? Selling you more expensive gear. Key to understanding this is his comment on whether you could even sleep in a hammock. Clearly he is only equipped to advise in one direction, downward, and I don't mean goose down.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you were a fan of Car Talk the answer is boat payments. The outfitter only makes money if he can sell you gear. He cannot sell you good hammock quilts because there is no source for him. You can buy excellent quality quilts, hammocks and tarps from the direct sales channel for the same cost he can but he then would need a 40% markup.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I don't even want to sleep in a bed anymore let alone the hard cold ground. I'm trying to get my kids into hammock camping but there's not sufficient room to hang three hammocks so we end up in the monster cabin tent. Even with sleeping on the big cushy airbed I wake up nearly crippled in the mornings whereas I roll out of bed refreshed any time I'm in my hammock.

+1 on the Shug video suggestions. Hammocks are certainly a small niche of an already small hobby. For now there aren't sufficient hammockers for the outfitters still tied to a storefront to invest in both mid-air and ground camping solutions. Just as anything grows in popularity you'll see more and more of them around. How long ago was the first "toe shoe" on the shelf and now you see them everywhere? Are they a better/worse form of footwear? That's for the consumer to decide but luckily we vote with our wallets and credit cards.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Watching Shug's videos is a pretty good answer to almost anything related to needing more knowledge about hammocking. The entertainment is akin to the frosting on a Red Velvet cake... wickedly awesome!

Just a shot in the dark on this one, but does the sales rep have any experience in a hammock? My guess is the answer is a resounding "no". We tend to get comfortable with that which we are most familiar with and vice versa.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBWan View Post
    ...I'm an ultralight hiker/trail runner, so weight means a lot to me. I'm still putting together my kit and haven't even spent a night in the woods with my ENO Doublenest, but I have slept outside in it in warmer weather and loved it.

I'm a real Noob, but willing to try anything. So... how do I keep my butt warm when I'm out in the woods and the temp drops to the low 40s? I was just about to spring for a sleeping bag with a 40 degree rating (a Koppen Viggo for just $60 at ****'s), when the outfitter threw all kinds of doubt into my mind about whether I would be comfortable in a hammock (or even able to sleep, given the way they put it).
    Well, you have all the info needed on staying aloft and the benefits thereof. Now, your other obstacle...

...Weight.

As you are an UL hiker, I would recommend down everything. Ironic, isn't it
    You will probably want a down UQ(underquilt) and TQ(topquilt). They will be the lightest and most compactability for your winter insulation.

You may already have clothing, hiking equipment, cook gear, etc. for UL already, so, now you need UL bedding.

Luckily, you are here on Hammockforums.net and not at the Outfitter.
    You will find plenty of articles, threads, pictures, videos and friendly folks who want nothing but the best(most comfortable) and lightest for you. Not trying to sell you like the salesman.

Just ask away and don't be shy. No one here should be too ashamed of a question you may want answered. We are like 1 big family.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast