Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nube vs Other Tarps?

I backed the Sierra Madre Research Nube at Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y-sierra-madre

Here's a video of the setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XjwwhBgyec

This tarp looks like it has unique features that other tarps don't have, although I don't know a lot about tarps.

Here are some points that I find interesting:

1. The Nubé is large enough to stack two hammocks inside, or as we like to call them, "hambunks".

2. Trees are optional with the Nubé, use trekking poles to set it up when bark is nowhere to be found.

3. The “Closure Sleeves” are openings on each side of the Nubé that allow your hammock suspension line to pass through. They tightly seal around your suspension lines prohibiting water or insects to enter.

4. The Gear Storage Area can also be used to add warmth to the user, just add some clothes to it and pull it up nice and snug to your hammock and it will insulate your back on cool nights.

5. - If you WANT the breeze blowing through on a warm night then we suggest you hang your hammock low in the Nubé so that you are in the "Insect Shield" zone and have excellent breathability. Spreading the wings out to their maximum distance will improve this effect.

- If you do NOT want the wind blowing through then you should hang your hammock high in the "Water Barrier" and stake your wings closer to you. This will decrease the amount of wind that enters into the shelter.

6. That being said you have the ability to alter the set-up pending the conditions you are camping in. We have secretly been developing an add-on "Barrier" for cold weather camping and it could come out as a Stretch Goal?!

It seems very innovative in a lot of ways. I guess my only two questions are:

1. Can you configure it in such a way so the tarp isn't above you when it's not raining, but so you can still use the bug netting?

2. Is the gear storage removable?

Any thoughts on this Nube compared to other tarps on the market?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Looks confining, I'll take my 4 door Winter Haven and Bug Sock any day. Also my complete setup was much cheaper.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Is it just me, or does it look like you have to be 7' tall to get those top lines secured?

Since when can any other tarp NOT be used with trekking poles instead of sleeves?

It seems like an interesting concept for the weight, but my first impression is "my god, that is an over-engineered behemoth". It has some elegance to it, but nothing about it gives off a sense of simplicity, even though it seems to be a all-n-one setup.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Craig, is this the one you like? http://simplylightdesigns.com/catalo...roducts_id/213 And which bug net?

The YouTube video says 5.75 feet or higher, and it seems very simple to set up.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Here is the bug sock I use:

http://simplylightdesigns.com/catalo...roducts_id/225

Well designed and easy to use, when not needed I just slip it to the end of my hammock, I also have his Wind Breaker as well for the windy days that I may not want a tarp up but block the breeze.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Also depending on options for $350-375 you can get a complete kit (DL Hammock w/ cinch buckle kit, Winter haven Tarp with acessory kit and seam sealed, Bug Sock, and Wind Breaker) from Jared over at Simply Light Designs and have it to your door in probably a weeks time.

Plus Jared has been super helpful and even done some custom work for my setups so they perform as I want.

Thanks, in your mind are there other points that make your Winter Haven superior to the Nube? To me the Nube doesn't seem too confining, and you can hang the hammock lower if you wish.

From what I see, the advantage to the Winter Haven is that it's a 4 season tarp with the doors you can shut. Not sure if this "barrier" Sierra Madre talks about would make the Nube a 4 season tarp. I should ask Richard.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    For me I like that with a seperate tarp and bug sock I can do the following:

Bug Sock and Tarp deployed to block wind, rain, and bugs
    Bug Sock only keeps the bugs out but I can enjoy a nice breeze and view of the sky
    Tarp Only block wind and/ or rain when no bugs

With the door you can channel a nice breeze through your hanging area by adjusting your doors for optimal or no flow. Leave one side open and close one end to block wind blown rain.

No zipper to undo and redo in the dark. Mine I just pull a cinch cord and close myself back in.

Biggest thing is if I didn't need the tarp deployed I could hang it, but still have full bug protection or not even bring it if it wasn't needed which would reduce pack weight.

Guess I'm just not much of an all in one system kind of guy I like options and views.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    It's nice to finally see more videos of the Nube. All my inital thoughts were based on pictures. It is an interesting concept and I look forward to hearing more about how it compares to our typical set ups.

Personally I like setting up my hammock to where it's perfectly comfortable and then move the tarp as needed. Having the two separate suits me better and I prefer gear that is modular. The ability to set a tarp with a porch and have full view of a lightening storm or a sunset is a major bonus for my current tarp. Even just having the openess of a porch is great. I think they would do well to have the bugnet be totally removable.
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-27-2013 at 08:59.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

I agree with you all about versatility. I'm wondering though, if the shape of the Nube offers an advantage. I get the sense that Richard may be a very skilled designer, and that he chose that shape for a reason over the course of his design process.

Craig, do you find you don't have to worry about water dripping down the lines with the Winter Haven? They created closure sleeves for the Nube to deal with that. What do you do otherwise?

Also, gear storage is something that I want. Any thoughts on how to achieve that if I went with separate pieces like the Winter Haven and separate bug net?

Bubba, which tarp and bug net do you like?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast