Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Grizz,

Garmin Nuvi 260 with text to speech. This model usually sells around $400. Got it for $127 plus free shipping. We think it's being discontinued because it's at a 72% Amazon discount or something like that. I don't need latest and greatest just wanted something under $150.

This is for the car, not for the trail. Shoulda mentioned that.

RockRat said the price was so surprising he wondered if he was missing something but it's offered by Amazon proper not a reseller so it's legit.

Sorry, not to get thread off track . . . . the hang was great.

-------------

Went back to link. Looks like Amazon already upped the price to $134.99. I got it for $127 yesterday.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 04-23-2009 at 09:29.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Grizz,

Garmin Nuvi 260 with text to speech. This model usually sells around $400. Got it for $127 plus free shipping. We think it's being discontinued because it's at a 72% Amazon discount or something like that. I don't need latest and greatest just wanted something under $150.

This is for the car, not for the trail. Shoulda mentioned that.

RockRat said the price was so surprising he wondered if he was missing something but it's offered by Amazon proper not a reseller so it's legit.

Sorry, not to get thread off track . . . . the hang was great.

-------------

Went back to link. Looks like Amazon already upped the price to $134.99. I got it for $127 yesterday.
    Ah yes, I have that model myself, I got it a few months ago for about $150. I too went specifically for the text-to-voice feature that calls out the names of the roads to turn on. I was with a buddy who had an older model, in a complicated piece of highway in some Texan city, and the device was telling us to merge left in 100 yds, except that within that range there were about 3 different possibilities to do that! So I when I read about the street name call out I knew that was the feature to have.

Staying on topic I would have used that to get to MAHHA if (1) I'd driven, and (2) I wasn't locked in a stuffy conference room with a bunch of government suits half a continent away on MAHHA Friday.

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Ah yes, I have that model myself, I got it a few months ago for about $150. I too went specifically for the text-to-voice feature that calls out the names of the roads to turn on. I was with a buddy who had an older model, in a complicated piece of highway in some Texan city, and the device was telling us to merge left in 100 yds, except that within that range there were about 3 different possibilities to do that! So I when I read about the street name call out I knew that was the feature to have.

Staying on topic I would have used that to get to MAHHA if (1) I'd driven, and (2) I wasn't locked in a stuffy conference room with a bunch of government suits half a continent away on MAHHA Friday.

Grizz
    Hey Grizz...we should have a fall MAHHA Hang in October sometime. Maybe you can get to that one.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If Griz comes I will make pancakes again.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    If Griz comes I will make pancakes again.
    Grizz...now you HAVE to come to the next MAHHA. You haven't had pancakes unless you've had Dutch's.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hey Grizz...we should have a fall MAHHA Hang in October sometime. Maybe you can get to that one.
    Absolutely. With enough lead time I can usually find an excuse to need to be in Washington D.C. on or near a given date.

Except when the government suits decide that they want to come to MY location....

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I was with a buddy who had an older model, in a complicated piece of highway in some Texan city, and the device was telling us to merge left in 100 yds, except that within that range there were about 3 different possibilities to do that! So I when I read about the street name call out I knew that was the feature to have.
    Grizz
    Yes, that's what I was thinking and what RR confirmed. Cool that you have same model. We have 2 week driving vacation coming up in May. S.O. is calling it the "Heart of the South Tour" so I really wanted a GPS for this trip so we don't spend half the trip arguing about when to turn.

PANCAKES AGAIN AT THE HANG. GRIZZ, YA GOTTA MAKE IT NOW!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    PANCAKES AGAIN AT THE HANG. GRIZZ, YA GOTTA MAKE IT NOW!
    geez, the pressure is on. If I don't come and Dutch does, but doesn't make pancakes then clearly I'm to blame!

When you put navigation in the hands of the GPS you may have some unexpected adventures...its shortest-time model doesn't quite account for slowdowns through towns due to stop-lights, so it is often wanting to lead you off the beaten path down what it thinks is a faster path.

When you deviate from Its Plan For You, it grudgingly reports "Recalculating". I thought it was recalculating the fastest (or shortest) path from the point where it starts to grumble, but I learned otherwise on a recent long trip. I knew from a map that I wanted to stay on the highway I was on, it had something else in mind. For a while each of its "Recalculating" steps seemed designed to pull me back in the direction it wanted me to go, and spitefully every time it recalculated it increased the time-of-arrival at destination, to prove its point.

At last it gave up trying to pull me that way, recalculated so that the highway I was on was the highway it wanted me on, and the time-of-arrival at destination DECREASED.

You'll like it, although it tends to repeat itself a lot about turns you're about to make.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Lol, well at least it will be us against the GPS, instead of he said/she said when arguing. I've been in a car when we didn't quite go the way it wanted us to go. That recalculating comment went on and on and on. It really was strong willed, like you say. Too funny.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    geez, the pressure is on. If I don't come and Dutch does, but doesn't make pancakes then clearly I'm to blame!

When you put navigation in the hands of the GPS you may have some unexpected adventures...its shortest-time model doesn't quite account for slowdowns through towns due to stop-lights, so it is often wanting to lead you off the beaten path down what it thinks is a faster path.

When you deviate from Its Plan For You, it grudgingly reports "Recalculating". I thought it was recalculating the fastest (or shortest) path from the point where it starts to grumble, but I learned otherwise on a recent long trip. I knew from a map that I wanted to stay on the highway I was on, it had something else in mind. For a while each of its "Recalculating" steps seemed designed to pull me back in the direction it wanted me to go, and spitefully every time it recalculated it increased the time-of-arrival at destination, to prove its point.

At last it gave up trying to pull me that way, recalculated so that the highway I was on was the highway it wanted me on, and the time-of-arrival at destination DECREASED.

You'll like it, although it tends to repeat itself a lot about turns you're about to make.

Grizz
    My Magellan loves to tell me to "Make a legal U turn" after I confuse it...
    That british accented gal can have such an attitude!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678