DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What kind of temperatures are you intending on using this in?

If it's 20* to 50*, you can probably swap out the BlackBird for a netless hammock (note that I'm assuming you need the DL for weight capacity rather than anything else; otherwise, you can shave more than I suggest here by going to a SL). That'll shave 5 oz if you go to the 1.1 DL Traveller (assuming you want to stay with the Warbonnet and keep the same suspension) or 12 oz if you go to a BIAS WWM DL with their all-in-one suspension kit (assuming you want a long hammock).

If it's above 40*, you'll probably want to keep the BlackBird. However, at that point, you can swap out your insulation. A 40* quilt set will save you 14.95 oz (if you go with Hammock Gear still and get a full-length Incubator), 13.5 oz (assuming you want DWR down from Underground Quilts), or 15.95 oz (if you go with the 45* rated Summer Series from Wilderness Logics).

If you're going to be camping above freezing, the Superfly is probably overkill. Swapping out your tarp can save you 7.75 ounces (by going to the Edge tarp from Warbonnet), 7.5 ounces (by going to the Tadpole from Wilderness Logics), 8.5 ounces (by going to the Hanger 10 from Underground Quilts), or 13.8 ounces (by going to an HammockGear Cuben hex). All of these will save you half of your stake weight, as well, bringing that down by an additional 2 oz.

If you swap out your suspension to Whoopies, you won't need carabiners or Dutch Clips. You can simply thread your strap back through the sewn loop. That'll save 1.6 oz plus the difference in the suspension weight (at a guesstimate, about 3 oz, so a total of 4.6 ounces).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    I was hoping for small mods instead of replacing my gear. It doesn't look like there is much I can really do though. I thought about replacing the tarp because with cuben fiber I would more than cut the weight in half. I hate to change my quilts because of this crazy northern mn weather. Even in our warmest months temps still drop into the low forties at night sometimes. I guess I have some things to think about. The whole idea of dropping some weight was because I am considering some hiking. I currently use the hammock while making canoe trips in the bwca.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambler_ View Post
    I was hoping for small mods instead of replacing my gear. It doesn't look like there is much I can really do though. I thought about replacing the tarp because with cuben fiber I would more than cut the weight in half. I hate to change my quilts because of this crazy northern mn weather. Even in our warmest months temps still drop into the low forties at night sometimes. I guess I have some things to think about. The whole idea of dropping some weight was because I am considering some hiking. I currently use the hammock while making canoe trips in the bwca.
    Your biggest weight savings for the cost will be in leaving items you don't need at home rather than buying new gear. When you go hiking, consider everything you take and think about whether you need that particular item. If you don't, then leave it at home.

Me, I require the following: shelter, insulation, water, food, a first-aid kit, a light, a map and compass, a way to make fire, a cutting tool, a way to stay dry (or at least warm) in the rain, and a way to carry all of that.

Think about what you need, and the rest will follow.

After that, consider how you can use synergistic equipment to achieve your goals. If something can be dual-use, that saves you on weight and cost. If something can be made smaller by using something else to take up some of the slack, that also saves weight and cost.

I'm not going to comment on non-hammock-specific gear, as that will get this moved to the Donating Members section where you won't be able to see it. However, looking at your hammock-specific gear...

Think about going to a smaller tarp with an undercover that doubles as a poncho. This will save you on both your tarp weight and your rain gear weight, as well as giving a boost in warmth to your quilts. If you can sew a straight line, a poncho/undercover isn't hard to make out of sil.

For your quilts, is it possible to convert one to a serape with a little sewing? If so, you can eliminate a portion of your puffy layer, as the quilt can now double for that around camp.

These are just a couple of examples. There are more ways to cut weight, but most of 'em aren't hammock-specific (or have already been mentioned).

I hope it helps, some.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Hammock (wbbb 1.1 double) 28 oz
    Tarp (warbonnet superfly) 19 oz
    Stakes (8 @ 14grams ea.) 4 oz
    UQ (incubator 20 degree with 2 oz overstuff) 26.85 oz
    TQ ( burrow 20 degree with 2 oz overstuff) 23.10 oz
    Carabiners 1.6 oz

Total weight: 102.55 oz
    6.4 lbs.
    Hammock: Ditch the WBBB and get a 1.1oz single layer based on your weight (6-7oz). With whoopies, tree straps, and r/l you'll be in the 12 oz range. Add 2-3 oz for a Tulle fronky style bug net (fragile but lighter), or 7oz for no-see-um (durable but heavier). = 15-19 oz

Tarp: WB Edge style when you don't expect terrible weather. - 11-12 oz. It'll keep you dry in some pretty sever KY thunder storms. You could potentially go lighter with an asym diamond tarp, but I don't like to give up the luxury of porch mode. Being confined to your hammock in rainy weather sucks. Also reduces stakes to 4 (2 oz). Personally I don't think the weight savings of cuben is worth the cost.

UQ and TQ - Get warmer temp gear. My sewn PLUQ and TQ weight 18.5oz and 14.5 oz respectively. Good to ~55 for me (with some layers) (33oz total)

Down 40*F TQ and UQ will save weight also. For lighter temps no need for full lenght UQ either. 40*F burrow is 15.5 oz. Pheoniz 40*F is 13.1 oz. (28.6 total)

Carabiner - What is this for? Eliminate with whoopie sling/tree strap suspension.

This is obviously a warmer, fairer weather set up. The more sever conditions you camp in, the more you need to carry.

Total:
    /w Down Gear: 57.6oz (3.6 lbs)
    /w PL Gear: 62 oz (3.875 lbs)

Images
    Hammock (wbbb 1.1 double) 28 oz
    Tarp (warbonnet superfly) 19 oz
    Stakes (8 @ 14grams ea.) 4 oz
    UQ (incubator 20 degree with 2 oz overstuff) 26.85 oz
    TQ ( burrow 20 degree with 2 oz overstuff)
    23.10 oz
    Carabiners 1.6 oz

Total weight: 102.55 oz
    6.4 lbs.

I am looking to drop some weight on my setup. The easiest thing I see is to swap out suspension on the hammock and switch from carabiners to dutch clips. Anyone know how much weight this will save? I don't have a scale and all these weights are listed by the vendors. Anyone have any other ideas? The next best thing I can think of is going to a cuben fiber tarp.
    This sure looks like a good winter setup but over kill for late Spring to Early Fall. When do you do the most hanging?

Since you have an UQ I'd trade the wbbb double for a single layer.
    Get a smaller tarp for times when you don't need the SF.
    Cut back to 4 good tarp stakes, no hammock stakes.
    Switch to whoopies and toggles on your tree straps.

hth

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Dutch Bonded Xenon
    Insulation
    Whooki/Burrow
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    This sure looks like a good winter setup but over kill for late Spring to Early Fall. When do you do the most hanging?

Since you have an UQ I'd trade the wbbb double for a single layer.
    Get a smaller tarp for times when you don't need the SF.
    Cut back to 4 good tarp stakes, no hammock stakes.
    Switch to whoopies and toggles on your tree straps.

hth

I will be hanging from early spring until late fall. I bought the 20 degree setup in hopes of getting by with just one UQ and one TQ

Images
    I will be hanging from early spring until late fall. I bought the 20 degree setup in hopes of getting by with just one UQ and one TQ
    I did the same thing at first. Then I wanted to drop some pack weigh, haha
    I have a 20 TQ and full 20 UQ also.
    Then over time I bought used gear from the for sale forum when a good deal came along.

Since quilts are the most expensive part of hammock hanging I'd stick with what you got (you can always vent the quilts) and look at a good smaller used tarp, whoopies, tree straps with toggle. Some light weight stakes. That should cut ~ lb. from your load.

hth

Hammock
    Various
    Tarp
    Henessy Rainfly
    Insulation
    UK Hamm. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Please donīt take this the wrong way, but itīs not uncommon for people, me included, to focus a lot on saving weight on our equipment while completely disregarding the extra weight we always carry around our waist. We hunt for that elusive oz/gram while happily being more or less overweight. I obviously do not know you, but I am easily 10kg over where Iīd like to be. For most of us itīs far easier to buy some titanium stakes than losing 1 kg of body fat. Just some food for thought

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    Since I was/am a hiker who used tents and such, saving weight from your pack is not based on security of your shelter. Bedding can always be lightened while staying warm. As mentioned above, water is heavy to carry. same with food. you also need to take a look at what clothes you wear and what you bring along in your pack. You can purchase a small water filter bottle, use merino wool shirts, lighter pants/convertible to shorts etc. I have found clothing to be the biggest space hog/weight people bring that is unnecessary.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe....
    Single layer BB................................................ .....20 oz
    Cuben Tarp.............................................. .............8 oz approx
    8 Ti Stakes (0.3 oz each)........................................2.4 oz
    3/4 length Phoenix instead of full length Incubator.......17.50 oz
    Ti Dutch Clips instead of Carabiners..........................0.5 oz

total...48.40 oz

Of course this would require some exchanging.
    Carry forth
    Shug
    What he said

you can still use the WBBB you have now but replace the straps with dynaglide whoopie slings and dutch hooks and short tree straps that would make it 24oz .. it's the same setup i use
    Cuben tarp is a must if you want to save some real weight .. yes you will pay for it
    Ti stakes will save weight
    like shug said 3/4 UQ will save you weight and you can always use the full for winter camping .. most end up with more than one set of quilts anyway

also look at other items you carry the most overlooked part is cloths and food
    they make up the bulk of most packs weight
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast