Insulation question

I'm starting an AT thru next week and was wanting the flexibility of a pad so I could shelter or hostel crash if need be. Does anyone think a JRB weather shield with a pad(Thermarest Prolite 4) would be sufficient for this time of year or should I go with my JRB No Sniveler? Also do you think I'll need my UQ toward New Hampshire and Maine in late summer if I opt for the pad now. Thanks guys

Advice Please

Posted this yesterday, but no one ever responded. I'm starting an AT thru next week and was wanting the flexibility of a pad so I could shelter or hostel crash if need be. Does anyone think a JRB weather shield with a pad(Thermarest Prolite 4) would be sufficient for this time of year or should I go with my JRB No Sniveler? Also do you think I'll need my UQ toward New Hampshire and Maine in late summer if I opt for the pad now. Thanks guys

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    A Thermarest Prolite 4 has taken me to the upper 30s in a hammock. Inside though it is really slippery, and in any case you need something wider at the shoulders. A Speer SPE is really nice, or just a short piece of CCF you can lay at 90 degrees to the main pad.

A weather shield will add some degrees.

If you can manage the slipperyness within the hammock (or use a double body hammock, or a bridge with a pad pocket), I'd guess that with a sleep system that includes warm stuff on you in the hammock, you'll do OK.

prudence dictates though that you check out how well the pad works with your hammock (just in terms of staying put) before you launch.

happy hiking!

Grizz

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Suave View Post
    Does anyone think a JRB weather shield with a pad(Thermarest Prolite 4) would be sufficient for this time of year or should I go with my JRB No Sniveler? Also do you think I'll need my UQ toward New Hampshire and Maine in late summer if I opt for the pad now. Thanks guys
    I am hooked on the Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe (http://www.rei.com/product/780366?pr...:referralID=NA)

It weighs more, about 2 1/2 times the Prolite 4, but has nearly 4 times the R factor for insulation, is wide enough for shoulders so nothing extra needed there and I have been fine without a topquilt for a nap at 32 degrees. If I have to go to ground, it is 10 times more comfortable than the Prolite 4. In fact now that I have my Exped, I will be selling my 2 Prolite pads soon.

Although I love my JRB quilts, I think I can justify the weight of the Exped based on comfort and flexibility. At the very least, I think I can use my no sniveler for a top quilt and go with out the nest or a weather shield.

Hammock
    DIY Not so great
    Tarp
    DIY- leaks
    Insulation
    Mansweater
    Suspension
    1/2" Steel Cable?

Pads

Hey newbie here. I'm curious re: pads in temps down to the 50"s I have seen people mention closed cell foam to down. any input would be great.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by groundless View Post
    Hey newbie here. I'm curious re: pads in temps down to the 50"s I have seen people mention closed cell foam to down. any input would be great.
    I love quilts. I love the way warmth radiates back at me almost immediately. Never had that happen with a pad.

That said, temps in the 50's are child's play temperature wise. One HF member found of jeeps and camo with a three letter name who shall remain anonymous sleeps neked with no pad at that temp
    An inexpensive pad will get you there no problem. The main issues are making sure you have coverage at the shoulders, and whether the pad slides around beneath you.

All comes down to what you optimize for, or what your constraints are. If you want the lightest, most packable option and $$ are not a constraint, then a summer underquilt is the answer. If you want to minimize $$ and not get cold, and bulk is not a constraint, then a pad is the way to go.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY Not so great
    Tarp
    DIY- leaks
    Insulation
    Mansweater
    Suspension
    1/2" Steel Cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I love quilts. I love the way warmth radiates back at me almost immediately. Never had that happen with a pad.

That said, temps in the 50's are child's play temperature wise. One HF member found of jeeps and camo with a three letter name who shall remain anonymous sleeps neked with no pad at that temp
    An inexpensive pad will get you there no problem. The main issues are making sure you have coverage at the shoulders, and whether the pad slides around beneath you.

All comes down to what you optimize for, or what your constraints are. If you want the lightest, most packable option and $$ are not a constraint, then a summer underquilt is the answer. If you want to minimize $$ and not get cold, and bulk is not a constraint, then a pad is the way to go.

Grizz

Money is never and a concern when it comes to toys. Where do I find the summer underquilt you mentioned? And at what temp to you guys use insulation?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Suave View Post
    I'm starting an AT thru next week and was wanting the flexibility of a pad so I could shelter or hostel crash if need be. Does anyone think a JRB weather shield with a pad(Thermarest Prolite 4) would be sufficient for this time of year or should I go with my JRB No Sniveler? Also do you think I'll need my UQ toward New Hampshire and Maine in late summer if I opt for the pad now. Thanks guys
    Big Suave,

Hostels almost always have some kind of matress or pad.... Shelters are hard with CCF pads, unforgiving at the hips, shoulders etc....Air pads of any design with insulation are heavy....

Best weight and comfort solution is to have an all weather comfortable, warm and dry hammock camp and never go to shelter/ground in the woods.

If you start with a pad OK.... The vast majority that do send the pad home after the Smokies...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by groundless View Post
    Money is never and a concern when it comes to toys. Where do I find the summer underquilt you mentioned? And at what temp to you guys use insulation?
    I've been away today. Surprised no-one jumped on this.

So an obvious place to look is JacksRBetter. They have two quilts
    they call summer quilts, see
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Quilt%20...on%20Chart.htm

Other quilt makers here include warbonnetguy who makes less-than-full-length down quilts to shave weight. Works great, you put a little something under your calves and feet and you're good to go. He's done customizations for folks with his hammocks and tarps and I would guess he'd do the same with a quilt (e.g. make one more tuned to 50 than to 35 degrees).

Mrprez recently hung out his quilt-making shingle, he does synthetic quilts. My guess is that his normal product is two layers of Climashield and so he could custom-make a quilt with one layer. These are shaped to fit the asymmetry of an HH though, so depending on your hammock it might not work as well as with an HH. But Mrprez seems also willing to work with folks on what they want, so you could give him a try too.

Of course, real men make their own quilts

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Mrprez recently hung out his quilt-making shingle, he does synthetic quilts. My guess is that his normal product is two layers of Climashield and so he could custom-make a quilt with one layer. These are shaped to fit the asymmetry of an HH though, so depending on your hammock it might not work as well as with an HH. But Mrprez seems also willing to work with folks on what they want, so you could give him a try too.

Grizz
    Thanks for the plug. The Climashield has a higher rating that the old Polarguard 3D that was used so the new KAQs only have 1 layer. I might start offering a lighter weight in a single 3 oz layer rather than the thicker 6 oz layer.

• + New Posts