Hammock
    WBBB & HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    SF, HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Grlk3,EERevX20
    Suspension
    Web/Whoopie Sling
    Nice. Have you pitched the tarp on a single set up?
    J3

"No Matter where you go, there you are." -B. Banzai
    -Crede quod habes et habes-

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Love the TL stands, but I recommend you redo the lashings using a proper tripod lashing...

Scroll down...http://www.bsatroop780.org/skills/Lashing.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55thqbbYF14
    The stands were set up to see how they would work. The cord was cut at 10 feet, which is way too short to lash the correctly. The cords will be lengthened to 15 feet each and lashed accordingly.

That being said, I think the 10 feet is too short of a distance between the tripods. Has anyone tried coupling a couple of extra feet in length? I know that there was discussion about couplings being the weak point. But, I thought that was when they were used in the middle to cut the pole in half for storage and transport.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    ..The cords will be lengthened to 15 feet each and lashed accordingly...
    Thanks...I'll sleep better knowing that.

There has been ridgepoles used in many different lengths. The key is attaching the hammock suspension just to the outside of, and very close to the hanging point of the ridgepole. With very long (16') ridgepoles I move the hammock suspension out an additional ~1". This tends to bow the pole up just enough to offset it's own weight trying to bow it down.

I believe some have used 3 piece ridgepoles to place the joints closer to the ends (or maybe just to make them more easily transported).

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks...I'll sleep better knowing that.

There has been ridgepoles used in many different lengths. The key is attaching the hammock suspension just to the outside of, and very close to the hanging point of the ridgepole. With very long (16') ridgepoles I move the hammock suspension out an additional ~1". This tends to bow the pole up just enough to offset it's own weight trying to bow it down.

I believe some have used 3 piece ridgepoles to place the joints closer to the ends (or maybe just to make them more easily transported).
    Correct.
    Look up the TurtleDog Stand thread by Samsara. It is a lengthy thread but has a lot of great info.
    Thread here--> https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51787
    Scan for what you want, it shouldn't take to long, a couple of days, tops
    It actually has most of your answers you may have and over 100 pics to boot.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20deg Incubator
    Suspension
    WWBB stock
    I do like the lashing idea. With 25+ boys on a campout I need to get the stand up asap. The hinges work well for that. I used 2 poles at 6.5 feet each and it works super great.
    It gives me 13 feet to hang from for a good angle and break down for transport. Extra pole adds cost but well worth it. I used the rope off my sons HH deluxe that I toke off when we updated him to woopies.
    I cut each side in 2 and gave me the ropes off the tri pod to poles. I think I am going to order some amsteel and try my hand in making a continous loop.

Wish me luck!!
    Scoutmaster troop 4312 Jackson, MI

If it's not fun, don't do it

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 401Hunter View Post
    ...I also added additional horizontal pipe and made a square or triangle formation so that I can hang three scouts from a total of three tripods or four boys from four tripods. In square pattern, I added a 12 foot Kelty Noah's Tarp in the middle by attaching each corner to each tripod making a fantastic shelter when you add a center pole.
    I'd love to see pictures of that (please!)
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Re: My Turtle dog stand

Love the TL stands, but I recommend you redo the lashings using a proper tripod lashing...

Scroll down...http://www.bsatroop780.org/skills/Lashing.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55thqbbYF14
    Nice video. Will def use this

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    So, we used our stands this weekend at our local camporee. Fours stands were set up in series. The two the boys hung on were flawless. The two that the adults hungs on, had catastrophic failures. One had a fence top rail that bent to the point of uselessness, the other was conduit and it failed also. The lashed tripods were rock solid. The hinged ones, needed some more work. So, where did we go wrong. The fence top rail was two piece with a five foot piece added for length. The conduit one had a 1" diameter piece sleeved over a foot to add a five foot extension as well. The conduit bowed in the center of the entire length, not at the joint. The fence top rail failed at the joint. We ended up setting up in our dining fly, should have taken pictures, it was rock solid. Anyone have any ideas?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    So, we used our stands this weekend at our local camporee. Fours stands were set up in series. The two the boys hung on were flawless. The two that the adults hungs on, had catastrophic failures. One had a fence top rail that bent to the point of uselessness, the other was conduit and it failed also. The lashed tripods were rock solid. The hinged ones, needed some more work. So, where did we go wrong. The fence top rail was two piece with a five foot piece added for length. The conduit one had a 1" diameter piece sleeved over a foot to add a five foot extension as well. The conduit bowed in the center of the entire length, not at the joint. The fence top rail failed at the joint. We ended up setting up in our dining fly, should have taken pictures, it was rock solid. Anyone have any ideas?
    I have never had issues with my TD stand, and I have it spanned almost 14' with the joint in the middle. I assume you attached your hammocks under the lashings so the weight was taken by the stand, and not on the railing. Other than the pushing the joint together from the pulling on the pursik, my pole has been fine and not load bearing in the middle.

I noticed you said that you had 4 in a series with two boys and two adults... I have wondered how other troops have addressed keeping boy and adult sleeping quarters separate and distinct when it comes to hammock. Typically, our boys are on the other side of camp.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...The two that the adults hungs on, had catastrophic failures. One had a fence top rail that bent to the point of uselessness, the other was conduit and it failed also....
    The only thing normally effecting bending forces on the toprails is hammock suspension attachment location. It should be on the outside and directly against the hanger from tripod to toprail. Move it out and the toprail bends up. Attach the hammock suspension inside of the toprail hanger and the toprail will bend downward.

I don't know how the setups where that failed, but using your previous photos (and assuming the toprail hangers were improved a previously discussed)...

this is good and should cause minimal flexing...

DSC_0211.jpg

and this, not so much...

DSC_0212.jpg

I can envision a leverage being formed where the hammock suspension hung from the upper pole changes angles as it passes under the lower pole as marked by the red lines. I would use separate hangers for the two ridgepoles and stagger their heights so the two poles and hammock suspensions do not make contact.

I haven't used 1" conduit but it may be a bit weak for the length you used.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast