Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Hi everyone,

We are a couple travelling to the Amazon, Ecuador. We want to buy Clark Hammocks/Hammock but we are not sure which one will be the best for this kind of trip - to the Amazonian Jungle.

We are undecided between the NX250, TX250 or Vertex.

Which one do you recommend us please?

Thanks for your time,

Olga

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    The T in TX-250 stands for tropical. The TX series is intended for tropical climates as I understand it. The TX-250 comes either with or without a weathershield. There are 150 models also which are slightly shorter.

I just received my hammock last night so I haven't formed an opinion of it yet.

I believe you will get more comments and help if you start your own thread rather than ask in my thread which was really about a different topic. This thread has been around for awhile and peoplee have essentially stopped looking at it. You have a very interesting question so I would expect that you will get a lot of input.

Clark has a section on the home page of their website that helps you pick a hammock based on several questions including weight, height, temperature range expected, etc. I would strongly suggesyt that you take a look at that because it is a good starting point. Good luck!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    This talk of change in models had me look at Clark's simple chart.

It seems to me that those concerned with weight should look at the least expensive, the Tropical Ultra. Just 2 pockets, but just 6" shorter than the TX and NX 250. Weighs < 2lb with the 3-4 oz stuff sack.

------------
    I've been sleeping on a (firm) mattress the last few nights instead of in a Clark hammock, and oh, does my back ache in the AM.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I considered the tropical ultra but its too short for my taste. It looks like a good choice if you're looking to save significant weight and the length is acceptable to you.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: NX-250 compared to TX-250

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    ...A 6 oz reduction from the ropes is almost half of the one pound I want to eliminate...
    FWIW the difference in weight of a 6 foot 7/64 Amsteel whoopie (with 12" continuous loop and descending ring) vs the Clark rope and drip ring is not noticeable without a scale.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    FWIW the difference in weight of a 6 foot 7/64 Amsteel whoopie (with 12" continuous loop and descending ring) vs the Clark rope and drip ring is not noticeable without a scale.
    My Nx-250 should be here in a few hours...it loaded on the UPS truck for delivery this AM...I am pretty pumped! I've read a lot about the 250 and about 95% is very positive, so I figure I've done good.

I will probably keep the clark rope attached since the weight diff is negligible. I'll will also lay in it first w/o an adjustable structural ridgeline attached, to see if I like the sag (or lack of). But if I think a SRL is called for, I'll attach it a ways up the suspension, out of the way of the poles. Stand by for pics.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsguy View Post
    My Nx-250 should be here in a few hours...it loaded on the UPS truck for delivery this AM...I am pretty pumped! I've read a lot about the 250 and about 95% is very positive, so I figure I've done good. I will probably keep the clark rope attached since the weight diff is negligible. I'll will also lay in it first w/o an adjustable structural ridgeline attached, to see if I like the sag (or lack of). But if I think a SRL is called for, I'll attach it a ways up the suspension, out of the way of the poles. Stand by for pics.
    Congrats on your new NX-250 . Yes the poles sag a bit so it lacks that bisymmetrical cone shape (only) when I am not in the hammock but it's no big deal. They pop up when I get in and give me all the room I need. The sag is actually a good indicator that when I get into the hammock I am not going to damage the bug net/weather shield. There are plastic rings sewn outside at the peaks of the NX-250 head and foot hoops for pitching as a bivvy tent that could be used for a ridge line. Since they are outside the bug net/weather shield I can't' envision it would be very useful for rigging a pocket if you had that in mind but with 6 pockets on the bottom of the NX and 2 inside that I can reach when lying in the hammock a ridge line pocket is a non-issue.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    Congrats on your new NX-250 . There are plastic rings sewn outside at the peaks of the NX-250 head and foot hoops for pitching as a bivvy tent that could be used for a ridge line. Since they are outside the bug net/weather shield I can't' envision it would be very useful for rigging a pocket if you had that in mind but with 6 pockets on the bottom of the NX and 2 inside that I can reach when lying in the hammock a ridge line pocket is a non-issue.
    Thanks! I'm like a kid at Christmas,eh?
    The reason I'm putting in a SRL (maybe) is because I like to have sag in my hammock....that way I can lay flatter on a slight diagonal. I like to sleep somewhat on my side too, and the less banana shape (bending at the waist) the better on my 59 year old hips. Maybe I won't need the SRL, but I've never been in a gathered end that didn't have one and it does make for a flatter lay. My BB has a integral SRL and when I put one on my snipe, the lay became much more comfortable. Experimentation is half the fun of this hammock stuff!

I was planning on asking my wife to make a little bag out of some extra ripstop I have and tie it to the loop that is above the head when I'm laying in the hammock (it hasn't been delivered yet, so just going by what I've read)...then just lay the bag on the hammock bed above my head. In it would go my headlight, book, watch, etc. But now that you mentioned the pockets being easy to reach when laying down, this might be something I don't need after all.

BTW oblique angler, nice job on the pics and your story>

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Here is what I learned about the weights when ordering ... the TX-250 is being upgraded to have a heavier bottom material so mosquitoes in South America can't bite thru the fabric. The new weight isn't reported in the pdf chart yet but it is on the tx-250 (non-camo) products page. the camo tx-250 hasn't had the new heavier design phased in yet and the camo products page has the correct lighter weights for the older design. All that said, the whole experience of not being able to figure out what I was buying would weigh was annoying.
    Litetrek, are you sure about this? I called Clark the other day and when I asked them about the differences in weight I was told it is basically a typo on the website.

I'm ready to order a Camo TX-250 (with weathershield), but this conflict of information has me worried now. Did Clark themselves provide you with that info? Just need to be very sure before I order.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    [QUOTE=Moonlight;1088646]Litetrek, are you sure about this? I called Clark the other day and when I asked them about the differences in weight I was told it is basically a typo on the website.

I'm ready to order a Camo TX-250 (with weathershield), but this conflict of information has me worried now. Did Clark themselves provide you with that info? Just need to be very sure before I order.[/

Clark customer service told me they were phasing in a new design and the camo style didn't have the heavier fabric yet. That phone conversation took place about three weeks ago and the situation may have changed...I don't know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567