DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I'm running out of questions, but I've got one more. Can an nx-250 or tx-250 be rigged without the hoops but with some extra cord (and maybe some added loops) to hold up the mosquito netting like the north american? I like the simplicity of no hoops to deal with...it would be nice to leave them at home if I wanted to. I'd guess those poles weigh at least 6 ounces.
    Just weighed my NX-250 poles - 2.8 oz
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

I have about 15 months worth of every night sleeping in a nx250, both indoors and outdoors, mostly outdoors. The poles make it very roomy, you will get spoiled. They weigh very little, I never question taking them. The system as sold is a dream to use, well with the exception of the ropes they give to you as suspension. The weather shield has saved my bacon on at least two occasions when I had less gear than needed, once with no bottom insulation ( when I learned the hard way that the pockets do not provide insulation, and once when I had to give my top quilt to my grandson). This is not a light weight hammock, but for me is very packable, I take it where ever I go. I use a under quilt for cool weather and don't mess with the pockets.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    This thread and the current Clark sale has me thinking about a new hammock. In comparing the TX250 to the NX250, both with weathershields, it appears that the TX is a about 6 ounces heavier than the NX. Why would that be?
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Surprised by the pole weights but 2.8 ounces isn't much. There was a lot of talk a while back about replacing the stock poles with heavier ones because the stock ones were eventually snapping. I have gone to considerable effort and some expense to reduce my pack weight down to 25 - 30 pounds. It pains me to increase the weight of my shelter by quite a bit. However, the comfort is worth it. I just don't want to err on the safe side and end up carrying a half pound or so I have no need for. It pays to find out first and I appreciate everyone's comments.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Passingthru, I think the nx is about 6 oz heavier than the tx. My guess is because it has two more pockets than the tx. I believe also that the comparison chart on the Clark website has some errors in it. The tx-250 show the weather shield as optional and a footnote says it adds 7.5 oz. but if you read the description carefully and note the options in the pull down menu as if you were ordering a tx-250 there is no option to add a weather shield. From what I can figure the weather shield was at one time optional and is now standard but the comparison chart hasn't been updated. That jives with hawkerevs comments that he bought the tx-250, wasnt given a choice and got the weather shield.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm running out of questions, but I've got one more. Can an nx-250 or tx-250 be rigged without the hoops but with some extra cord (and maybe some added loops) to hold up the mosquito netting like the north american? I like the simplicity of no hoops to deal with...it would be nice to leave them at home if I wanted to. I'd guess those poles weigh at least 6 ounces.
    No hoops works, but nicer is hoops just at the head end. See pics associated with me.

You'll find suggestions from me and others on using a bit of UL shock cord at the ends to pull the netting back.

The rods might together weigh more like 3 oz for both ends.

The new North American has a longer bed than it used to have. Just 6" shorter than the NX250, isn't it.

I can tell you that YES, the Vertex fly fits in the stuff sack with the hammock, even with an NX250. (All Clark stuffsacks I have are the same size.) But, would you want to put the tarp there if it is wet in the AM? I don't suffer lack of warmth for stuffing a down 30F partial UQ in the sack. Of course, if you add some strap or can otherwise handle an open "bag", any one of the Clark pockets, AKA "saddlebags" will hold the whole hammock, and two quilts.

Yes, 6 tie outs for the Vertex tarp. But, 4 work fine, too, in my experience. There is little difference in size and likely none in quality from some of the sold-separately touted here.

You'll want to decide while the 25% sale is in effect, just a couple more days. I haven't seen a Clark sale ever mentioned here, except for an isolated model now and then.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-14-2013 at 01:36.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks for the info in you post. I still haven't decided between the NX-250 and TX-250. I don't believe those 6 pockets will do much for me (Idon't need the space and I doubt they add more than 5 degrees to the temp. comfort range of the hammock), so I'm leaning toward the TX-250 due to the lighter weight. I will get an underquilt eventually and in the meantime just use my pad or insulated air mattress.

The Vertex is an OK tarp ... I like the dark color (brown) of my polyurethane Hennessey Hex since it keeps the sun out of my eyes in the morning. It also only takes four stakes and doesn't stretch when it gets wet like silnylon. However, it is many ounces heavier and the coverage isn't as good. With the vertex I'll have an option for only $55 which is a good deal. The Hennessey hex should work with the TX-250 so I can try out both and compare.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Boulderman and demostiX are the pole weights you posted around 3 ounces each end for a total of 6 ounces or is it 3 ounces total. Its the total I'm looking for. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Boulderman and demostiX are the pole weights you posted around 3 ounces each end for a total of 6 ounces or is it 3 ounces total. Its the total I'm looking for. Thanks.
    2.8 oz total (all 6 poles)
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    ok thanks. thats pretty light for all the poles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast