Claytor Jungle Hammock

So I have been searching this forum for a while now and was looking to pull the trigger on a Claytor Jungle Hammock. Has anyone recently or owns one and could give me a bit of information? I completely new to this. I also have been seen that it would be a good idea to replace the straps with something different. Could someone please help me out. I'm sick of sleeping on cots (in the military) and want to try something new.
    I have also researched the Warbonnet hammocks but they seem a little steep. I am a little torn between the two but I like that the jungle comes with the tarp. Is that really a big deal or does Warbonnet out perform? O and Brandon makes them in Colorado, whop whop!

Hammock
    WBBB,Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor D, WB Hex
    Insulation
    Ptarm/Incub/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Its not a bad place to start. It was my first hammock and I still get it out when I want a more rigid feel to the hang. Its made of a very durable ripstop nylon but not stretchy like parachute silk. Not as wide as most either and it is heavier but it will outlast all the more comfortable ones. And it is a decent bivy as well when trees aren't available.
    Hope this helps...
    Everett
    "Take me away to a quiet place where beings melt into inner space. Every step brings me closer to see, my haven away beneath the trees." From Beneath the Trees by Everett Dort

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey Smosh,

I have that hammock/tarp combo and recently used it on the Texas Butt Bake hang. It’s great for its intended use, but I’ve balked at using it when longer distances are involved. A few plus/deltas:

+ integrated bug net
    + solid and well stitched; no seam along crest
    + double layer – holds pad in place
    + double layer - (I’ve not been bit through it padless)
    + diamond tarp – only two tie-downs needed
    + want it for sitting? – just flip it over
    + cool camo colors, or solid green if you prefer
    + matching snakeskins

- weight – 58oz total
    - need to find two sticks to separate netting (I need to sacrifice an old fishing pole and just carry them)
    - diamond shaped tarp – less coverage in windy conditions
    - cannot detach bug netting
    - no ridge line, although I could probably jury-rig something
    - snakeskins are relatively expensive
    - heavy straps for suspension – but easy to replace
    - turn-around time. It’s made in Thailand and it took several weeks to receive it (quality is good, and timing didn’t matter to me)

The weight above is for hammock, tarp, suspensions, snakeskins, and carry bag - tree straps and two stakes not included in weight. I replaced the suspension provided with dog bones and whoopies. When lots of miles are involved, I’ll carry a lighter system unless, of course, I anticipate bug problems.

David

Images
    Maybe things have changed since I got mine years ago, but I always thought they had about the lightest webbing I had tried? However, you have to tie some knots or come up with some other trick to keep water from running down those lines into your hammock, I think they are worse than most at transporting moisture, at least my old ones. I did fix this though with some overhand knots just a few inches from the hammock's end channel, and there are other ways to fix it also.

As for comfort, I have always found my No Net near the very top rating compared to many other hammocks I have tried. I had the net version for a short time. I can't remember if it was as comfy as the No Net, but probably was. Based on my reviews, recently Wisenber added a couple of Claytors to his hammock stash. I think his conclusion was that they were very comfy, but maybe he will chime in about this.

If you ever use a PeaPod, this is probably the best hammock to use with it, due to the hammock being more narrow.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    I have no experience with other Hammocks but do have the Claytor Junge Hammock - its a fine hammock and a great bang for buck, was looking at other models but none seem to offer the same or better quality for the same money.
    I did swap out the stock straps and added a few pegs and biners as I like to tailor things to suit, oh and seam seled all the stiching, just precautions really.
    I suppose the only downside to the model is that it takes up a fair bit of space in your bag (but less than a tent) although I do wonder if a compression bag may solve the issue, and it does require more space to hang, but then you get a lot of room in it.
    As for spreaders, well I have not used them but I imagine you could easily cut down a branch if you needed one, or, for a more eco friendly option a carbon arrow shaft (about $10), would make an excellent, low weight and stong option.
    I think what really sold me was that this seemed to be an excellent start, had everything I needed to give it a try, was not too expensive that I was afraid to play with it, and had some good reviews.
    Give it a shot - I would be surprised if you are disapointed.

• + New Posts