Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    self made
    Tarp
    last one ripped
    Insulation
    reflctve car shade

calling for any suggestions

currently i am taking a break from my nomadic wanderings to better gear myself up. at most i will be back out on the road (this time traveling via bicycle) in 2 months and will be going wherever whenever the wind blows me or the sunshine entices me. for sure i will be traveling in latin america within the year.
    so saying this the gear i want to make (my budget is tight) needs to be good quality, dependable, and good for many kinds of weather/situations.
    i made myself a hammock fore i started off last time and now have nothing but that hammock. i used a crap tarp or a poncho and a heavy rope. this will no longer suffice. i have been doing some reading but need to bounce some ideas and questions around.

rope: polyester or nylon webbing? where can i find charts that tell me what sizes can take how much weight? and when pitching a tarp does the rope just go under whatever ridge you decide or i was thinking of maybe sewing my rope/webbing to the tarp? either with it continuing under the whole ridge or just out from the very ends to the trees.

material for the tarp: soon to be (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178442.0) playing with this material and seeing how dependable it could be. otherwise i was going to go with home wrap tyvek. or would it be better to go with something like ripstop nylon impregnated with silicon, or other material?

type of tarp: for the shape i am def going with hex with cat cuts. i am worried about my ends though. i found two possibilities that look like they might be good. either end caps with storage (this would take care of the necessity or storage space but am unsure if everything would stay righty tighty dry in lotsa rain) or tarp beaks.

or
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=663
    if i made tarp beaks i would also have to make some form or waterproof gear hammock/hanging sack. which i have seen instructions on and doesn't seem too hard.

snake skins: theoretically if i make them big enough could all of my sleep gear go in these (anyone done this), hammock, tarp, bugnet tube, rope, whatever my end covers will entail, and sleeping bag? would there be drawbacks to that? i think i would also make those out of tyvek so it would be highly water resistant for one less worry when it rains.

sorry that this is quite long but i greatly appreciate
    any links (patterns are great!), advice, feedback, or suggestions (for any or all of the questions posed)you folks out there with more experience might have for a beginner. i am just hoping to minimize time and money with good plans.
    thanks for reading,
    areca
    Last edited by gypsyareca; 03-19-2009 at 02:36. Reason: large picture

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That is a neat link about the plastic bag "fabric". How would you get large pieces? Do the edges 'weld' if laid-out and interlaced? I'm intrigued.
    As for tarp patterns, the Blackcat is one groovy tarp! Sounds like you have lots of experience with gear making, so it should be an easy build for you. Snake skins big enough to hold everything are going to be a giant, very dense wad of stuff to put into your pack. I'm sure it would work, but I'd opt for a big Bishop Bag; just easier to deal with IMO. Just a large stuff sack with a hole for your hammock suspension in the bottom; makes a nice place to stow small gear while the hammock is deployed.

Sounds like a grand life! Keep it going.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Definitely go with sil nylon for the tarp. There's really not many better choices than that (a few very expensive ones but it's just for a bit of weight savings).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Definitely go with sil nylon for the tarp. There's really not many better choices than that (a few very expensive ones but it's just for a bit of weight savings).
    SIl Nylon ROCKS!!!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    SIl Nylon ROCKS!!!
    stuff is quiet even in 30mph winds. makes for sleeping bliss

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyareca View Post
    currently i am taking a break from my nomadic wanderings to better gear myself up. at most i will be back out on the road (this time traveling via bicycle) in 2 months and will be going wherever whenever the wind blows me or the sunshine entices me. for sure i will be traveling in latin america within the year.
    Awesome! What a dream to be out on the bike with noone but the driver to appease! Let's get started...

rope: polyester or nylon webbing? where can i find charts that tell me what sizes can take how much weight? and when pitching a tarp does the rope just go under whatever ridge you decide or i was thinking of maybe sewing my rope/webbing to the tarp? either with it continuing under the whole ridge or just out from the very ends to the trees.
    About the rope under the ridgeline thing: Some just tie the tarp off to trees with short ropes, while others run a rope between the two trees and attatch the tarp to that rope with prussik knots.

For the webbing, OES goes with nylon. I believe I used 1" for the tieouts on my tarps...

material for the tarp: soon to be (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178442.0) playing with this material and seeing how dependable it could be. otherwise i was going to go with home wrap tyvek. or would it be better to go with something like ripstop nylon impregnated with silicon, or other material?
    I don't think the bags put together material that the link brings up is a good idea when you say your concern is durability. The tyvek is something that many have used to make tarps, but my suggestion is to go with sil nylon. That is $8.50/yd. at Speer right now, $6.50 for 2nds at Thru-hiker.com...so, if you use ~8 yds. of fabric + other supplies that would be around $60-75including guylines.

type of tarp: for the shape i am def going with hex with cat cuts. i am worried about my ends though.
    The BlackCat mentioned above is the pattern you are looking for...it is a cat-cut hex. For the ends, you should either do beaks, or consider making more of a Speer Winter Tarp clone: (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm).

snake skins: theoretically if i make them big enough could all of my sleep gear go in these (anyone done this), hammock, tarp, bugnet tube, rope, whatever my end covers will entail, and sleeping bag? would there be drawbacks to that? i think i would also make those out of tyvek so it would be highly water resistant for one less worry when it rains.
    Ditto on the Blackbishop Bag. Use snakeskins for the tarp to reduce flapping in a stiff wind while you set up, but for the hammock/quilt you could go with the bag and be much more happy, IMO.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post

For the webbing, OES goes with nylon. I believe I used 1" for the tieouts on my tarps...

The BlackCat mentioned above is the pattern you are looking for...it is a cat-cut hex. .

Yup and yup - 3/4" or 1" flat weave nylon webbing is the way to go for tieouts, IMO. As well, the BlackCat directions are a great introduction to the world of hexagonal tarps, and well worth a read/try.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    self made
    Tarp
    last one ripped
    Insulation
    reflctve car shade
    thank you all so much for you input!

"That is a neat link about the plastic bag "fabric". How would you get large pieces? Do the edges 'weld' if laid-out and interlaced? I'm intrigued"

yes basically all one would have to do is overlap the plastic layers and make sure that the heat of the iron melds them together well. i have not played with it much cause i agree with other folks i have talked to and am worried about its durability, weight, how long it would/could last, etc. and unfortunately i don't have a whole lot of time to play with it and find such things out. : /
    i have not made a lot of gear, just my hammock and over the years lots of little sewing work/patching and things. so very very soon i will order muh fabric and get going. i'll post fore i go again fer sure.
    i am grateful for the helpful information you all provided, thanks for being a part of this great website!

Hammock
    self made
    Tarp
    last one ripped
    Insulation
    reflctve car shade
    oh real quick what is IMO mean?
    and do any of yall have a link to the black bishop bag?
    thanks again.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO = In My Opinion
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast