WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

My Package came!!! Caution, long post and pics

I got home this morning tired as heck, it was a long day and a longer night at work. Saturday night at the station I work at is usually busy. No big deal because my package from Brandon was not due in until tomorrow. I was going to lounge on the couch today.

I spent the first hour at home with my wife and daughter talking about some of the calls I ran at work and just general stuff. Then my wife says, " I really hate to do this but I think that package you were waiting for is here, I'm sure we won't see you today". She goes in the other room and comes out with the package from Warbonnet. Yes!!!! She then tells me go ahead because I had been waiting like a little kid for a few weeks and she says she wanted to clean the house anyway. My daughter is 10 now and she kind of already is doing her own thing, so I hit the back yard.

The WBRR went up with ease, just simply awesome. It screams quality and is made perfect. The hammock is so comfortable it is just crazy. I stuck my Big Agnes insulated pad in it just to see how it worked, again....awesome! I can see how the pad would be kind of a pain if it was in the hammock with you as It looks like it would slide around a lot. Does anyone know what the small shock cord and keeper is on the head end of the hammock? It's only about 2 inches or so long. I have nothing but great things to say about it so far, I can't get over how comfortable it is.

I then moved on to the WBSF Tarp, this is where I had a few problems. My Order from Dutch arrived yesterday to so I had his hardware to get started. I thought that making the locked bromel with the Dutch hook on it would be terribly hard, not the case. The locked bromel was one of the easiest things I have done and it turned out great.

I decided to go with a continuous ridge line. With everything I have seen and read it seemed to be what I thought was best. I am using the yellow tarp line I got with my order from Brandon. I cut off a 30' piece of line and with a locked bromel I put a Dutch Hook on that end. The locked bromel was very easy to do. I then took the other end of the line and wrapped it around the other tree and secured it tight with a tarp flyz. Cool hardware!

Next I pulled out the WBSF and laid it over the ridge line. I had two more Dutch hooks and I decided to put both of them on the small rings that are on the ends of my tarp. Now I made two small loops using a double fisherman knot and then prussic them onto the ridge line. I used the Dutch Hook and clipped onto the prussic knot. My thought was I could position the tarp wherever I want to, slide the prussic where you want the tarp and then tighten the knot. The prussic knot slipped and would knot hold its position. I tied the knot right I am sure. I use this knot as a firefighter and I also use a prussic on my safety/fall vest that I hunt with when climbing stands. Why did it slide? Should I have not used the yellow tarp line as a ridge line? Is it because the ridgeline and the prussic knot are the same size line? I think it would work better with a bigger ridgeline line and then the prussic would probably work. This got a lot worse when I began to guy out the tarp, it sank really low. Maybe with this tarp I should not use a continuous ridgeline? What do you guys think? I'm kind of bummed over the tarp but I am sure I did something wrong. The tarp is awesome I just need to get it right.

All the other tarp lines worked out well. I did not get to make any kind of lines for the doors. I think I saw someone make some out of just shock cord, anyone seen this? I also have four of the door hooks from Dutch to use.

I bought the spindrift to but did not get a chance to check it out.

Here are some pictures of everything. Please point out what you see, I need the help. Any advice you have please share, i really want to get my tarp straight.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I can't get any pictures to load, I will try again in a bit.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I can only add 1 at a time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    See how low the tarp is from the line? The prussic s will not hold.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Congrats on the new gear! One thing I noticed is that with the Superfly tarp, it's better to run it under the continuous ridgeline as the tarp ridgeline is cat cut as well...or use a non-continuous ridgeline from either side. As far as the prussic knots slipping, try an extra loop or two around the ridgeline. Typically, it is better to have the prussic knots from a smaller cord, but it's common to use Zing-It or Lash-It for both the prussic knots and ridgeline...I believe what you have is Zing-It. When you start guying out the tarp, it is going to pull the ridgeline down some...no matter how much you tighten the cord using the Tarp Flyz. Will try to get a picture of my prussic knots on the continuous ridgeline. Hope this helps some.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The Dutch hook

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    Does anyone know what the small shock cord and keeper is on the head end of the hammock? It's only about 2 inches or so long.
    Congratulations on getting your hammock! I was pretty excited when mine arrived as well.

I was wondering about that lil bit of shock cord and keeper as well, and the best thing that I can come up is that its a loop/keeper to secure the head end spreader bar.
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -William Byrd

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks Paulie. When I noticed the slipping I added a loop, it helped a liittle, maybe add another. Does the line under the tarp hurt the tarp?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Tuckahoe that's the only thing I can come up with to.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Ah...pictures definitely help. I see you are running the tarp under the ridgeline as I mentioned. Not sure if it makes a difference, but try removing the cord from the split rings(not running the cord through the split rings). I think an extra loop or two on the prussics would help. Zing-It (the yellow cord) can be a little slippery at first until some of the coating wears off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast