View Poll Results: What is your Priority?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weight of the Object.

49 32.67%
  • Bulk or Packed Size of the Object.

33 22.00%
  • Neither, I just Pack What I need.

26 17.33%
  • Not Worried about Luxury Items.

1 0.67%
  • It Depends ... No Concise Answer.

41 27.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question I do not understand the question

The classic weight or bulk question is closed cell foam pads v. down under quilt. Both 3 season combinations might weight the same. But the ccf pads are also used for pack frame and sit pad. The under quilt is more comfortable and packs smaller. There actually should be a third variable - multi use. Oh, and the ccf pads can be used to go to the ground.

Match your tool to the job. I can not tell you whether a hammer or a saw is better until you tell me what the job is.

Does that make sense?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    less weight more than often equals less bulk...weight for me.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5

Thumbs up Good Point Old Boot

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Comfort comes first, followed by weight.
    I'm still less than half the weight I was carrying into the bush 40 years ago so I'm happy!!
    You know what.. you have a great point.
    It is : Comfort > Bulk > Weight for me
    As long as I get it all to fit, its still LOTS less than I use to have.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There is also suitability. The lightest compass is not set up for map orientation. The lightest knife will not prep wood for a fire. Ti pots boil water but Al is a bit heavier and a lot better to cook with.

Then there is the safety factor. Read the trail journals and see how many UL hikers are experienced at dealing with being cold, wet and/or hungry. Sometimes 2 or 3 lbs makes a big difference in comfort.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

All my stuff fits in my pack. There isn't really a need for that much more room... Also, I don't find I often get the pack hung up on stuff... So it could be bigger with out a hinderance.
    Pack sits behind me, and I don't much see it... So big, small, whatever again as long as its not so large its constantly snagging me or throwing me off balance...

However the WEIGHT of an object directly relates to the energy required to move it around and the nimbleness with which it can do so. ( I know all that weight is resting on my poor old knees too...)

I worry about bulk though too... I just switched stoves with out saving weight, but I did gain conveniences and lost bulk...
    I want a down UQ too, even though it would only save an ounce or two off the jarbidge... The down packs down so much smaller...

And While I saved a ton of weight going from my kelty 12X12 to my tadpole... I was actually more happy about the reduction in size then anything.

I just switched from a GT SBP to a DH DB hammock, and while the "removable" bugnet was the primary drive I think I lost more bulk then weight there.

So weight is for sure not the only thing, but it is definitely where I start... and even if I am looking for simplicity or cutting bulk or comfort, it kinda has to weigh less or equal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Old Boot has the right idea. Comfort is the priority, but integral to weight.
    I hike in mild extremes: temps can be in the 90's during the day and drop into the upper 30's at night/early morning. Altitude can bring wind and driving rain, usually in the evenings, so a good sleeping system and rain gear are vital. I've modified some of my gear to deal with this without much weight penalty.
    Pack size is important, both from a weight factor and size/fit to maintain balance and taking on the up hill hikes. Down hill is no picnic either - hammer toe is not your friend.

From this weekend, a section of the trail to Spanish Lake:

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images
    I chose weight, even though I am not really a gram weenie, not quite. Like Old Boot, my load is so much lighter than it used to be, pack weight usually between 15 and 30 lbs, maybe averaging 20-25. Years ago it was as much as 75 on a NOLS course, usually 50 for a lot of years for my usual backpacks. Then I was down to about 40 for a few years, and so anything below 30 is wonderful compared to that. When I hit 15-25, it feels like I am floating!

So then why did I choose weight as most important? One of the last things to be replaced with UL are my packs. If I add3 to 4 lbs to my total load and use my McHale pack just for old times sake, I have well over 6000ci plus strap ons. I have so much room that I have ended up carrying some one else's bulk when they could not get it all in their pack, and I had a synthetic sleeping bag! ( that's not good, is it, me getting other folks stuff? But we tried to keep the weight the same, and as they ate food I gave them their stuff back.)

Even my much lighter packs still take a good bit of volume, a Golite Pinnacle and a Molly Mack Pack. So bulk is not usually a huge problem for me.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    There is a large subset of our forum that is fascinated
    on the weight of their pack. These people want to lighten
    their load, while attempting to attain Ultra-Light status.
    I'll take a bit of an exception to that, and I'm no gram weenie.

The greater majority of gram weenies have as their goal the ability to hike as far as they possibly can in any given daylight period, and lightening the load is the primary means towards achieving this goal. I do believe there is a certain percentage of the "gram weenie" population who are doing it merely to attain status, but I also believe that population is small.

Another goal that is achieved by reducing weight is being more comfortable at the end of a day of hiking.

I have at least one item that is extremely light weight when compared to others I have that achieve the same purpose that I will never pack for a hike due to its bulk, and that would be the bubble pad for my HHDJ. It is a fraction of the weight of my underquilt, but its the underquilt that goes in the pack.

But the greater factor I use to determine what I'm going to be is the time and distance I expect to be on the trail. I am willing to carry a heavier pack for an overnight stay than I would for a week long trek---unless I plan on hiking 20 miles to the place I intend to do that overnight stay.

Using only the two factors of weight or bulk is a foolish way to pack. A better way is to determine need. You need food, water, cooking, shelter, navigation, and safety gear. For some of those items you CAN make a choice between weight or bulk but water, for instance, cannot be made either lighter or less bulky except by reducing the quantity, and that's where need comes in.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Using only the two factors of weight or bulk is a foolish way to pack.
    This is obviously not the discussion. Obviously safety,
    food and water are given factors.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I say weight because when trying to cut weight your bulk also tends to go down so there is generally extra space in your pack anyway...So if a choice arises for a lighter item vs a smaller item with Ceteris paribus. I will go with lighter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast