SimplyLight Trail Layer
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ & EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post

As for hunting; that's a good call. I have no idea what the hunting seasons are in Texas; I'll have to look that up. And make sure to bring plenty of bright orange.
    I was just looking at hiking the Lone Star Trail through Sam Houston State Park during the winter. They restrict camping sites to designated areas from September 15 to February 1st because of all the various hunting seasons. Haven't hiked it yet, so I can't say how the designated areas are for hanging.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    Sounds Like BS... Lost Maple is designated a State Natural Area also and they have no problems. I feel like running it up the ladder and checking on it with someone at Headquarters. However it could just stir the pot and we end up screwing it up for the rest of the Texas SNAs
    Agreed...best just to leave things the way they are.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4&quot;
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    RE: Governmet Canyon SNA: I took a look at there site they say they are a "highly sensitive ecosystem" and have some endangered Golden-Cheeked Warbler. So they may have different rules than other SNAs. They also do not allow domestic animals in the backcountry, which is different than other SNAs.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkygeek View Post
    I was just looking at hiking the Lone Star Trail through Sam Houston State Park during the winter. They restrict camping sites to designated areas from September 15 to February 1st because of all the various hunting seasons. Haven't hiked it yet, so I can't say how the designated areas are for hanging.

Might want to double check IIRC they have changed it from Sept 15 to Sept 1. But the whole hunting season thing has been FUBAR for a while now

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie &amp; Straps
    Guadalupe River SP turned off all of its water and plumbing this week until ?? due to drought conditions in the state. They may bring in portable toilets, but no showers or restrooms are functioning at this time. Again, this probably isn't the best park for trails anyway.

Busy season for Lost Maples begins in October per the website. I've hung a hammock there and never been asked to take it down.......but things may have changed. That was 2 years ago.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    RE: Governmet Canyon SNA: I took a look at there site they say they are a "highly sensitive ecosystem" and have some endangered Golden-Cheeked Warbler. So they may have different rules than other SNAs. They also do not allow domestic animals in the backcountry, which is different than other SNAs.
    Good info! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post

Busy season for Lost Maples begins in October per the website. I've hung a hammock there and never been asked to take it down.......but things may have changed. That was 2 years ago.
    Perhaps a hang in Lost Maples in Late September early October should be scheduled... anyone up for that?

I know a few non HF members that just ordered the Yukon/Woot.com Hammocks that want to get out. The fall might be a nice time to hit up Lost Maples for a hike into a primitive site for a night or two.
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations at Lost Maples. Any other recommendations? Has anyone been to Bastrop state park, Garner state park, Palmetto state park, Guadalupe River state park, or Goose Island state park? Those all seem drivable from San Antonio and they have camping, but I have no idea how good/bad they are for hammocking. I'd probably only be able to hit up one or two of them in addition to Lost Maples so let me know any must-sees!

In the Houston area, does anyone have any insight on Village Creek state park, Lake Livingston state park, Brazos Bend state park, or any of the National Forests in the area? I think I'd only be there for a weekend so I'd only be able to check out one of these places.
    All great parks. Never been to Goose Island. Lost Maples is a favorite for hiking/camping/fishing. Palmetto is almost always full. Garner is great, but a little too developed for my tastes. Garner is great for family camping though.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4&quot;
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew2000tx View Post
    Good info! Thanks.

Perhaps a hang in Lost Maples in Late September early October should be scheduled... anyone up for that?

I know a few non HF members that just ordered the Yukon/Woot.com Hammocks that want to get out. The fall might be a nice time to hit up Lost Maples for a hike into a primitive site for a night or two.

I would be interested. I have never been to a hang. Maybe start as new thread on the subject and see how it goes.

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    -NA-This is TX
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I'm heading to Lost Maples this weekend (Labor Day). Spoke with one of the park folks yesterday and was told that camp area C is the only one with water. area A's water has "gone underground". I'll post a report in a new thread when I return.

Colorado Bend is one of our favorite parks, tho it's been several years since we've been. Good hiking and splashing up Spicewood Springs with all the falls and pools.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4&quot;
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    I would do some scouting for yourself once you get there. The Sabinal River runs pretty close to Site A. It's low but should still be accessible. There is also a spring near site G. Hard to believe it is not running. Its small but can be dammed up enough to provide a cleaner supply of scoopable water.

If your up for a little adventure there is a real nice area just north of camp site A on the river. It's less than half a mile from site A and about .25 miles past the Monkey Rock. It's outside the park boundary and on Private property but is a really sweet spot. Just follow the river until you see the openings on the left. I left a couple of carine rock piles on the left to mark a hidden trail that will get you off the river sooner. If you miss it you will still find the spots you just have to follow the river longer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast