Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks

Noob Question about hiking etiquette

The wife and I were watching a video of a through hike, and there were a couple guys doing it. One of them was walking faster and seemed to leave the other one in the dust.

So my question is, what should you do if the people you’re hiking with walk/trek at a slower pace then you like to? Does everyone’s walk their own pace and meet at a designated location or is “proper” for everyone to stay together?

Thanks,

Pete

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    It really depends on the hiking partner whether you hike together or not. Couples for example tend to hike together. For those that hike different speeds, you tend to see them throughout the day as one person takes a break and the other catches up and vice versa. I always used to figure out the day's destination with my other hiking partners and would see them at the end of the day.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    It really depends on the hiking partner whether you hike together or not. Couples for example tend to hike together. For those that hike different speeds, you tend to see them throughout the day as one person takes a break and the other catches up and vice versa. I always used to figure out the day's destination with my other hiking partners and would see them at the end of the day.
    +1 to this, it depends on the situation. im a pretty slow hiker, im in it for the views not for the miles. so i usually mosey in to camp late or stealth hang along the route, if the group got way way ahead of me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Through hikers often spread out, but they have become familiar with their hiking partners' abilities and expectations. Getting together with others for a shorter trip means that everyone should assume responsibility for everyone else. This takes more communication.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Lots of factors to thingk about. I think it's important for every one to go according to their abilities. People will be able to go farther and more comfortably if they go at their own pace. Having said that, it's good to communicate and meet up regularly if you're on trails that are not well marked and the possibility of getting lost is high. It's also important to take into consideration everyone's level of outdoor experience and knowledge.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I hike with hiking groups, since few of my family and friends hike. The hike organizer sets the rules. Some hike organizers want everyone really together, with everyone "nose-to-tail." This really bugs me; it is good from a safety standpoint, but I just don't like hiking and tripping all over the person in front of me. When I lead a hike I allow the young bucks to sprint ahead, but they must stop and wait for the others at road and trail crossings. This prevents anyone from taking a wrong turn. YMMV
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I have always tried to communicate with others ahead of time and let them know that we will all be meeting at certain destinations to camp and just let everybody hike their own pace. The only people I tend to hike the same pace with is my wife and kids. Acquaintances and friends will meet up at camp. When I am hiking with just my best friend, we tend to take turns setting the pace. But that is just something we do and doesnt mean it is the norm.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    For me it depends on who I am hiking with. With my son I try to out hike him. If I am with the wife I let her set the pace. With a group I hike what pace is comfortable for me.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I walk faster than Hamhocker but I always try make sure she is in my sight. If not I wait her her.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I usually hike at whatever pace the rest of the group/my partner is moving. It's more fun to have someone to talk to and drink in the scenery. HYOH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast