Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    HG Incu-Burrow
    Suspension
    War Buckle
    Images

Noob Question about hiking etiquette

When I am with my wife I let her lead and set the pace, it makes her feel better and I always have a nice view

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    Thanks guys.

Up to now I have only car camped, but want to work up to backpacking (just don't think I'm in good enough shape to). My friends want to go some time (White Mountains in NH if there are others out there, remember I said I was a Noob), and backpack and see how much I can't keep up with them. So I wanted to know more about it.

Once again thanks...

Pete
    The main question has been answered very well already so I will chime in on this quote.

Your always in shape for your pace. You want to get in shape for their pace so I would suggest you ask 1 of them to go on some short hikes with you. Load your pack with some to most of your expected items to start and add some weight on each short hike.
    You will be surprised how quickly you adjust from car camping to hiking.

Most of all, communicate what your reason and goals are so he/she doesn't outhike you while you build up your strength and stamina.

Have fun and good luck.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

If you accepted an invitation for a trip with someone with an unusually slow pace, you should go at their pace. You are their guest. If you invited someone slower than you, same thing. You can't invite someone and then leave 'em in the dust. But there's no reason you can't get them to push themselves a bit. Try leading at a pace that is a challenge for them but won't ruin the trip for them. It also helps to impress upon them the expectations of a trip before you go: How far you're going, how long you'll hike per day, what the elevation gain will be, etc. Let them decline the trip or have to live up to those expectations.

I've learned that if I want to go at my pace, do what I want to do when I want to do it, and don't want to complain to anyone, I have to go solo.

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    3) When we stop to take a break, by the time I catch up and finally get my pack off to take a drink and snack out, they're loaded up and ready to move on before I've even caught my breath.
    I learned the secret to this years ago and don't usually share it because I don't want to give people more ammo than they need. Take a good long break _before_ you catch up with them. If they think they are waiting for you to catch up they are more likely to hang loose until you get there. Then they give you the twelve second rest you would normally get before they head off again. Now twelve seconds ain't gonna give you time to breathe let alone recover. But ten minutes down the trail aways is helpful and really doesn't mess them up all that much. After all... they make that up on the next leg of the hike. Yeah it may sound a bit selfish but it works. The other thing to remember is you are rarely as far back as you think you are.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    The wife and I were watching a video of a through hike, and there were a couple guys doing it. One of them was walking faster and seemed to leave the other one in the dust.

So my question is, what should you do if the people you’re hiking with walk/trek at a slower pace then you like to? Does everyone’s walk their own pace and meet at a designated location or is “proper” for everyone to stay together?

Thanks,

Pete
    all depends ... some people like to hike with others that go at the same pace some don't care.
    i'm so use to hiking with the greatest hiker even that i learned to levitate
    all joking aside we pretty much have a set destination and at the end of the day we all are together.
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgunred View Post
    When I am with my wife I let her lead and set the pace, it makes her feel better and I always have a nice view
    Plus they knock the spider webs down for you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Plus they knock the spider webs down for you
    aint that the truth
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Insulation
    TQ & Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Noob Question about hiking etiquette

If I'm hiking with other people that means that I want to share the outdoor experience with them, so I'm going to stick with them. It's almost painful sometimes to hike at a slow pace bit it's not just about the walk.
    -TheFarmerCamper

“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.” - Hans Hofmann

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    In scouting we always hike as fast as the slowest hiker. If my SPL or PL leading the hike gets out of site from the rear of the group he sits the group down till we all catch up. He is supposed to check the back every so often depending on the terrain. Now that being said that is what is supposed to happen. This past year, he could see us in the rear, we were on another peak behind him... You guessed it they had to hike back to us then start again. It was a teaching moment. Every time we have a group that gets that far out in front we always have an injury and depending on the terrain a sprained ankle could be a really bad thing. I think keeping a group together is safer, although I realize the older boys want time by themselves. We've got several hikes planned this year. Instead of doing it as a troop I think we are going to do it as patrols, with an adult in each hiking unit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123