Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Buckeye3185

Talking Lone newbie from CBus Ohio - Help w/ DIY stand

Good morning gals/gents. I am new to the swinging style of hammocks. My direction to this forum was through a Google search on how to DIY a one tree hammock stand. I bought 2 hammocks for lounging in my backyard while on a cruise in the Caribbean. I bought them without taking in consideration the location of the few trees in our backyard. Only to come home somewhat frustrated and disappointed that no 2 trees were close enough. Friends and family mentioned going to local stores and purchasing a stand for each, but that cost would drive me up well over $250 for 2 stands and not of the best quality. So, being a DIY'er for most things I feel I can tackle, I decided to start my search. While doing so I came upon this forum and have found out some great benefits of hammock camping and the hammock "lifestyle".

So to get to the point of this thread besides my intro: how to DIY a single tree stand? I have seen a couple of set-ups on here, but I need something that is fairly stable and will be able to hold at minimum 230#. As no one in my immediate family is that weight (yet ) I would still like to know that the stand can withstand more weight than what I put on it.

Also, I would like the ability to breakdown the setup on an "as needed" basis due to the unpredictable weather here in Ohio. It would be nice to keep it somewhat aesthetically pleasing as possible too.

Sorry for being long winded, but any and all advice is welcomed!!

Happy Swinging
    -Buckeye

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hey Buckeye! Welcome to the forums and keep an eye out for trip planning for Ohio hangs. We are due for one. I've done the turtle dog stand. Alot of users have made these for themselves although I'm not sure how they would work out in conjunction with a tree. You can find the thread if you do a search of "turtledog stand".
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Buckeye3185
    Thanks Mike for that info. I have looked into the turtledog stand, but just need one end. It's nice to use the tree we already have in the yard and to keep from having multiple parts to the setup. I want to keep it as simple as possible so my boys can do it on their own if my husband or I aren't around.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    welcome. take a look at the madera hammock stand that should give you some ideas

Hammock
    HH DX Asym with 4 season insulation
    Tarp
    Typhoon rain fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    2"X96" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Hey Buckeye! Welcome to the forums and keep an eye out for trip planning for Ohio hangs. We are due for one. I've done the turtle dog stand. Alot of users have made these for themselves although I'm not sure how they would work out in conjunction with a tree. You can find the thread if you do a search of "turtledog stand".
    What I have seen most people do is to lash to 7' or 8' long good diameter logs together, put your hammock on and use a stake and guide line to keep the resistance.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I am getting three pressure treated 2x2's that will be lashed together for each end. If you use one tripod and a tree, make sure to back tie the tripod to a stake. Tripods are strongest when the load is within the triangle.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    ASM Troop 140
    North Ridgeville, Ohio

Hammock
    Diy bridge
    Images
    another idea for hanging between two trees that are a bit too widely spaced. tie one side to the tree as normal. Use any old tripod or ladder and put it in line with your 2nd (too far away) tree. now tie an extension on your suspension line with suitable strong rope. I recommend a sheet bend for this. (very simple, won't bind) use the extension to go over your tripod and reach the far tree.

this way the trees still hold all of the large tension forces while the tripod holds only the lift portion, which is theoretically half your body weight... more when you're bouncing in or out. dig the bottoms of the tripod into the ground a little so they don't sprawl. ladders work very well for this in your backyard.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Welcome to the forum, just east of you.

Buckeye3185
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    I am getting three pressure treated 2x2's that will be lashed together for each end. If you use one tripod and a tree, make sure to back tie the tripod to a stake. Tripods are strongest when the load is within the triangle.
    What do you mean by "back tie the tripod"? I attempted to use just one tripod and the metal bracket bent while I attempted to sit in the hammock (I'm not a tiny guy but also not a big guy either).

I have seen a couple of videos of guys fabricating 2 2x2's and making a bipod. Then connecting the hammock over the top of the bipod and then attaching a looped strap down to a guide line in the ground. Would this work and how would I keep from having the bipod legs splitting wider?

Hammock
    Diy bridge
    Images
    either tie the bottom of the bipod so the legs can't spread, or dig them into the ground a bit. be warned though, If using a bipod, fix the suspension rope to it somehow our the boss will likely topple toward/away from the hammock with repeated movements. tripods are better for stability.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast